Gilad Atzmon: Beyond Comparison

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2006
      Beyond Comparison
      Gilad Atzmon
      www.gilad.co.uk

      "Israel Military action is an unjustified aggression that is being
      carried out in a style of Hitler, in a fascist fashion." (Venezuelan
      President Hugo Chavez)

      "Clearly, President Chavez needs a reality check when it comes to the
      Middle East conflict." (Anti-Defamation League National Director,
      Abraham H. Foxman)

      There is a trend amongst us all, the critical voices of Israel and
      Zionism. Time after time we compare Israel to the Third Reich; we
      equate the IDF to the Wehrmacht, we find a resemblance between the
      Israeli Air Force's tactics to the blitz technique of the Luftwafe, we
      occasionally associate Sharon's and Olmert's war crimes with those of
      Hitler. I myself have fallen into this very trap more than once. But I
      have now made up my mind. This fashion of speaking must be stopped
      once and for all.

      To regard Hitler as the ultimate evil is nothing but surrendering to
      the Zio-centric discourse. To regard Hitler as the wickedest man and
      the Third Reich as the embodiment of evilness is to let Israel off the
      hook. To compare Olmert to Hitler is to provide Israel and Olmert with
      a metaphorical moral shield. It maintains Hitler at the lead and
      allows Olmert to stay in the tail.

      My mother, indeed a very clever woman, challenged me a long time ago
      asking: "Tell me Gilad, why is it that you and your friends always
      compare Israel to the Nazis? Isn't Israel bad enough?" At the time I
      found her remark rather amusing, but my mother's cynical instinct was
      more than correct. Israel is indeed `bad enough'. Israel has already
      established a unique interpretation of the notion of wickedness that
      has managed to surpass any other evil. It is about time we internalise
      the fact that Israel and Zionism are the ultimate Evil with no
      comparison. And if this is not enough, unlike Nazism that belongs to
      the past, Zionism's wickedness is a crime which is still unfolding and
      worsening. Chavez obviously has the absolute right to say what he
      said, yet I have to remind the adorable Venezuelan President that
      Hitler has never flattened a country for no reason at all, and this is
      exactly what the Israelis have been doing in Lebanon for four weeks
      already and in Gaza for years and years. Looking at the carnage and
      the devastation in Lebanon doesn't leave any room for doubt. The
      current Israeli brutality is nothing but evilness for the sake of
      evilness. Retribution that knows no mercy. Israel is a devastating
      collective resurrection of the Biblical Samson. It is a modern
      representation of the man who kills women, children and the elderly,
      the Hebraic victorious master of blind indiscriminate retaliation.

      For years, politically correct liberals who present themselves as
      leftists have been insisting upon telling us that Israeli aggression
      should be understood in expansionist colonial terms. This line of
      thinking is still promoted by more than a few Jewish peace activists
      around the world. The reason is simple; as long as Israel is a
      colonialist state, then the archaic 19th century Marxist orthodox
      paradigm can be applied to the conflict. Moreover, if Israel is indeed
      an expansionist colonial regional force, then nothing is categorically
      wrong with the Israelis, they are just like the British were, but 150
      years too late.

      Nonsense! The above dated interpretation is fundamentally wrong and
      deliberately misleading. Moreover, it is not applicable anymore, not
      even as a Judeo-centric PC fig leaf. Watching the devastation the
      Israeli Air Force has left in its wake, looking at the death and
      carnage in Lebanon doesn't leave any room for doubt. It has nothing to
      do with colonialism or expansionism. Lebanon and Beirut are not and
      have never been part of the Zionist Lebensraum aspiration. It is the
      other way around, till the late 1960's the Israelis were totally sure
      that Lebanon would be the first Arab country to make peace with the
      Jewish State. Israel has never had any interest in the north of the
      Litani River and in spite of that, Israel has now destroyed every
      single Lebanese bridge, every airport, every power station. Hospitals
      are bombed, villages and neighbourhood have been wiped out, one
      thousand Lebanese civilians have lost their lives and over a million
      citizens are displaced and homeless. Now is the time to stand up and
      say it, unlike the Nazis who had respect for other national movements
      including Zionism, Israel has zero respect for anyone including its
      next door neighbours. The Israeli behaviour should be realised as the
      ultimate vulgar biblical barbarism on the verge of cannibalism. Israel
      is nothing but evilness for the sake of evilness. It is wickedness
      with no comparison.

      Hence, there is no room for comparison between Israel and the Nazis.
      If a comparison is to be made, then it is the Israelis who win the
      championship of ruthlessness and the reasons are obvious. Nazi Germany
      was a tyranny, Israel is a democracy led by a centre-left national
      unity government. While we do not have any formal objective tool to
      determine the German people's approval of Nazi crimes (in the first
      place, Germans were not informed about Nazi homicidal crimes.
      Secondly, there was no objective independent poll system active in
      Germany at the time), the Israelis collectively approve their
      government's crimes in Lebanon and this fact is overwhelmingly
      documented in more than a few polls.

      Nazis were indeed proper expansionists, they were trying to take towns
      and land intact. Carpet bombing and total erasure of populated areas
      that is so trendy amongst Israeli military and politicians (as well as
      Anglo-Americans) has never been a Nazi tactic or strategy. Apparently,
      Israel isn't trying to take Lebanon; Israelis do not seem to be
      interested in Lebanese land. They just want to demolish it. One may
      wonder what it is that they really want to achieve. In fact no one in
      Israel, or anywhere else for that matter, knows. Do they want to
      dismantle the Hezbollah? Surely, they have achieved the very opposite.
      Their impression that Hezbollah is a small faction of minority
      fundamentalist militia that could be done away with effortlessly is
      shown as a ridiculous thesis with each passing day. Not only has it
      demonstrated itself as a force to be reckoned with, Hezbollah is now
      supported by 85% of the Lebanese people and this includes the
      Christian population (80% support among the Christian Lebanese). Does
      Israel want to maintain its power of deterrence? Surely it achieved
      the very opposite. By now, every Arab knows that the Israeli Army
      isn't that glamorous anymore. In fact the photos of the Israeli
      military boot left on Lebanese soil says it all. In this war, it is
      the Israeli soldier who is taking off his military boots and running
      away for his life. Does Israel want to secure its populated centres?
      Surely it has achieved the very opposite. The more Israel hits
      Lebanon's infrastructure, the greater are the barrages of missiles
      that are falling on Israeli cities. In fact, it is just a question of
      time before Tel Aviv gets a glimpse into the notion of life in Gaza
      and Beirut. Indeed Israel has no plan or strategy; instead it
      practices the lowest form of collective barbarian zeal. The Israelis
      demolish for the sake of demolishing. Israel is indeed an evil with no
      comparison.

      Yet, we have to admit that Nazis were pretty good in provoking some
      international outrage. Not many loved Hitler beyond the Germanic world
      (and the English aristocracy). Israeli cannibalism, on the other hand,
      is adored by some Western leaders, and it is Blair, Bush and even
      Merkel who are afraid to stand up to Zionist barbarism. While Nazism
      was defeated 12 years after it took power, Zionist brutality is a
      snowball of repulsive anger that knows no boundaries and no end. It
      rolls over the West and recruits the most morally deteriorated forces
      around, whether they are Blair and his ilk or some radical American
      Christian Fundamentalists. Zionism aims at turning our planet into a
      bloody battlefield. For the time being it is reducing the UN
      institution into an American neoconservative puppet. It is time we
      admit that Zionists are standing in the very centre of the so-called
      `Cultural Clash'. While Nazism was a nationalist expansionist movement
      with extensive yet limited ambitions, the Jewish State and its Zionist
      lobbies are trying to revive the spirit of a global crusade in the
      name of a bizarre religious war (Judeo-Christian versus Muslim). If we
      want to save this world, if we want to live in a humane planet, we
      must focus on the gravest enemy of peace, those who are wicked for the
      sake of evilness: the Israeli State and world Zionism.

      It is about time to get out of the closet and to say it all loudly.
      Israel and Zionism endanger our world. It isn't just Lebanon,
      Palestine and the Arabs who suffer. It is now Britain and America that
      are dragged into an idiotic war. It is the entire West that is asked
      to rescue what the Israelis left out of Lebanon. We all have to
      de-Zionise ourselves before it is too late. We have to admit that
      Israel is the ultimate evil rather than Nazi Germany. Abe Foxman and
      the ADL are correct for a change, we all need a reality check. We
      should never compare Israel to Nazi Germany. As far as evilness is
      concerned, we should now let Israel take the lead.