Another Muslim Gets Put Away

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2006
      Ali Asad Chandia
      By Jack Ryan
      Aug 26, 2006
      http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21236025.shtml

      Ali Asad Chandia was born in Lahore, Pakistan in 1976 and his family
      moved to the United States in 1994. After Ali Asad Chandia earned a
      Bachelor's degree in Information Systems from the Univ. of Maryland,
      he took a teaching job at a Muslim school in Maryland.

      Now Chandia, 29, who has been an American citizen almost his entire
      life, will be spending the next 15 years in prison for supporting
      terrorist activities as relates to a Pakistan organization known as
      Lashkar-e-Toiba, or "Army Of Pure".

      Chandia has also been charged with aiding one of their agents in
      procuring military-purpose equipment for use against India.

      Formed in 1990 in Afghanistan, Lashkar-e-Toiba is a militant group
      active that serves as the military wing of the
      Markaz-ud-Dawa-wal-Irshad (MDI), an Islamic fundamentalist
      organisation of the Ahle-Hadith sect in Pakistan.

      The Lashkar leadership describes Hindus and Jews as the main enemies
      of Islam, claiming India and Israel to be the main enemies of Pakistan.
      Chandia made a three month trip to Pakistan in 2001, and was charged
      with meeting and forming an alliance with Mohammed Ajmal Khan, a
      military procurement terrorist for the Lashkar-e-Toiba who is
      currently in a UK prison serving a nine-year sentence. According to
      court documents, Chandia also helped Khan in procuring military
      equipment for use against India.

      A statement from prosecutor Chuck Rosenberg, attorney for the Eastern
      District of Virginia, said: "He [Chandia] gave safe harbor to Khan
      during Khan's visits to the United States in 2002 and 2003, and
      allowed Khan to use his home computer to pursue the acquisition of
      equipment such as unmanned aerial vehicles, night-vision equipment and
      wireless video cameras."

      Prosecutors had sought a sentence of 30 years to life.

      In an emotional statement, Chandia told the court: "With Allah as my
      witness, I tell everyone that I am innocent. God knows that I did not
      support and would not support any terrorists." As he was led away, he
      called out "Peace be with you" in Arabic, in what was an emotional
      moment for those who believe his is innocent.