My Name's Not Molly

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2006
      MY NAME'S NOT MOLLY, IT'S MISBAH AND I WANT TO LIVE IN PAKISTAN WITH
      DAD: 'KIDNAP' 12-YEAR-OLD SPEAKS OUT
      By Maggie Barry
      Daily Mirror
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=17667326%26method=full%26siteid=94762%26headline=my%2dname%2ds%2dnot%2dmolly%2d%2dit%2ds%2dmisbah%2dand%2di%2dwant%2dto%2dlive%2din%2dpakistan%2dwith%2ddad-name_page.html

      IT started as a desperate search for a girl whose mother said she had
      been kidnapped and taken to Pakistan against her will.

      A huge police hunt was launched after Molly Campbell's distraught mum
      Louise claimed the 12-year-old had been abducted by her father Sajad
      Ahmed Rana and spirited out of the UK - possibly for an arranged marriage.

      But yesterday a smiling Molly cuddled her dad as she told the world
      she had not been kidnapped.

      She said she had gone willingly with Sajad and elder sister Tahmina,
      18, because she wanted to live in Pakistan under her Islamic name Misbah.

      Speaking at a press conference in Lahore, Molly said: "It was my own
      choice. I asked my sister if I could go with her. I would like to stay
      in Pakistan with my father.

      "And my name isn't Molly, it is Misbah."

      She added: "I knew my mum would miss me but I miss my family. It was
      hard to not see my family. I had to live with mum and I wanted to live
      with my family.

      "I thought I could live with my dad and still see my mum."

      Molly spoke out yesterday after British MP Mohammed Sarwar flew to
      Pakistan to mediate between Louise, Molly and Sajad.

      Mr Sarwar said the girl had phoned her mum back home in Stornaway in
      the Western Isles to assure her she was all right. He said: "Molly has
      confirmed she has spoken to her mother for 10 minutes this morning."

      Mr Sarwar, Labour MP for Glasgow Central, said Molly had assured her
      mum she was not having an arranged marriage.

      He added: "There is no question of forced marriage and Molly has told
      her mother that.

      "Molly and her mother have exchanged numbers and her father has made
      it clear that if Molly wants to go back to the UK she can come home
      with me.

      "But she does not want to go home. She and the family would love her
      mother to come here to Pakistan and stay with them.

      "But the happy ending would be if the mother was happy as well.

      "We now need to find a mechanism whereby they can go and meet each
      other freely and remove the suspicion."

      But the MP's attempts to soothe troubled waters were at odds with the
      angry response from Molly's brother Omar, 21.

      Omar, who lives in Manchester, said: "I am upset that my mum had to
      say that she had been abducted. It's rubbish."

      He claimed Molly had begged sister Tahmina to take her away because
      she was unhappy living with Louise, 38, and partner Kenny Campbell. He
      said: "She said 'If you don't get me out of here I'm going to run away'."

      Molly, Tahmina and brother Adam went to Pakistan to live with their
      dad after the divorce in 2002.

      Omar said: "Mum left Misbah when she was only four and my gran and
      Tahmina brought her up. She became very close to my sister who was
      more like a mother to her."

      Last year the three children returned to Britain for Omar's wedding in
      Manchester.

      Omar said: "Afterwards mum invited us up to Scotland. My dad was fine
      about it. That was when she decided she wasn't going to let the kids

      Omar said the family lived with Louise and Kenny in Scotland for a
      short while - seven of them plus two dogs in a one-bedroom flat.

      After a month he and his wife left, followed by Tahmina and younger
      brother Adam. Omar said his mum "flipped" over the children leaving,
      believing her husband had enticed much of a life there and Misbah was
      the poor soul who was left.

      "At first there were emails but they stopped. Then my mother stopped
      answering the phone or letters."

      Omar claimed his mum had tried to turn the youngster against her dad,
      a wealthy property developer.

      He added: "She started brainwashing her. She got Misbah so scared of
      my dad, she wouldn't dare face him or dare talk about him.

      "My dad is not that kind of guy. He's a kind-hearted gentleman."

      OMAR claimed Louise even told Molly: "If you ever leave me I'll kill
      myself." He added: "What kind of effect do you think that has on a
      young girl who had a traumatic childhood?

      "For my mum to say dad is doing the kidnapping is wrong. If anything
      my mum is doing the kidnapping, taking my little sister away and not
      keeping in contact with the family."

      Louise yesterday issued a statement through her solicitors that made
      it clear she plans to fight for her daughter's return.

      It said: "We are acting in the best interests of the child and we're
      doing all we can to secure Molly back."

      In Pakistan. Sajad said he will now seek custody of his daughter. The
      legal custody obtained by Louise in the UK does not extend to Pakistan
      because Molly has dual nationality.