Student Wins T-Shirt Lawsuit

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2006
      Local lawyer won case for student
      PATRICK McARDLE
      Thursday, August 31
      http://www.benningtonbanner.com/headlines/ci_4265297

      SANDGATE — According to attorney Stephen Saltonstall, all students,
      even those in middle school, should be free to express their political
      opinions.

      On Aug. 30, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
      in New York City issued a ruling saying a Williamstown school district
      had gone too far in its attempts to censor a politically charged
      T-shirt worn by seventh-grader Zachary Guiles. The court found the
      T-shirt was protected as free speech and cleared Guiles' school record
      of disciplinary actions that resulted.

      Saltonstall, an attorney with an office in Bennington and chairman of
      the Sandgate Select Board, said he believes this is something school
      boards will have to consider.

      "It seemed incredible to me that the school system thought they could
      censor the T-shirt like that. It offended me. ... I thought the school
      system went too far," he said.

      Saltonstall said he believed the school was responding to the
      complaints of an athletic coach who was offended by the shirt's
      implied criticism of President George W. Bush.

      "The T-shirt, through an amalgam of images and text, criticizes the
      President as a chicken-hawk president and accuses him of being a
      former alcohol and cocaine abuser," the court wrote.

      The school tried to censor the T-shirt, because it showed drugs and
      alcohol and the word "cocaine" was written on it. Saltonstall said he
      thought that was just an excuse.

      The Vermont Department of Education became involved through the
      efforts of Carol Rose, a coordinator for the Alcohol, Tobacco and
      Other Drug Prevention and Traffic Safety program. Saltonstall said he
      thought it was a "little crazy" that the state argued that even images
      that oppose drug use should be censored.

      "What they were saying is that teachers and administrators won't be
      able to tell what is a pro-drug image and what is an anti-drug image,
      and I think that's silly. They make those kind of decisions all the
      time," he said.

      While Saltonstall said he is, like most people, opposed to the use of
      drugs by students and understands the seriousness of the problems
      faced by educators, he thinks Guiles' T-shirt was not only a political
      statement but one with an anti-drug message.

      Saltonstall said he had taken on the case for the Vermont chapter of
      the American Civil Liberties Union, an organization for which he had
      served on the board and as a volunteer lawyer.

      He said he was disappointed the case had to be won in New York City
      instead of in Vermont, but he was pleased the decision was made in the
      influential U.S. Court of Appeals, which is just below the Supreme Court.

      Saltonstall has appeared before that court before twice and won both
      times. This time, he said, he had the help of David Williams, a trial
      lawyer from St. Johnsbury, and an articulate client in Guiles.

      "He deserves a lot of credit for taking the heat in Williamstown. Not
      every seventh grader would do that," he said.

      Guiles, 15, is now a student at a performing arts school in Michigan.
      He said the lawsuit hasn't really affected his life much. Students at
      Williamstown weren't very politically aware, he believes, and students
      at his new school are more liberal and supportive of the message he
      was sending.

      He said he enjoyed working with Saltonstall on the case and never
      thought about simply giving up. Guiles believes the case will have
      implications for students throughout Vermont.

      "Well, I think generally it's a re-affirmation that Constitutional
      rights students were guaranteed through Tinker, times haven't changed
      so much that that's eliminated," he said.

      Tinker vs. Des Moines Independent Community School District was a 1969
      Supreme Court Case that upheld the rights of students to free speech
      on a school campus.

      Saltonstall said Guiles was proof that not all teenagers are apathetic
      or politically unaware.

      "I'm a child of the '60's myself. It's refreshing and gratifying to
      find a boy in seventh grade willing to take a principled stand," he said.

      Guiles said he still wears the T-shirt on occasion and wouldn't
      hesitate to become involved in political issues in the future,
      although he added, "It's not like I'm going around looking for
      lawsuits to get involved with."

      Saltonstall said he plans to continue to defend the right of free
      speech. The Williamstown school district, for instance, could appeal
      the decision announced on Wednesday.

      "If they do, we'll be ready," he said.