UK Soldier Kills Himself to Avoid Iraq

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2006
      UK Soldier Kills Himself to Avoid Iraq
      IslamOnline.net & News Agencies

      Killing children as young as two is part of the teaching.

      CAIRO — Rejecting his commanders' orders to kill Iraqi children, a
      British soldier has committed suicide after he was told he could be
      ordered to shoot dead alleged child suicide bombers in Iraq.

      "I can't go out there and shoot at young children. I just can't go to
      Iraq. I don't care what side they are on. I can't do it," Jason
      Chelsea told his mother while on the death bed, The Independent
      reported Friday, August 25.

      Chelsea, a Kings, Lancashire and Border Regiment infantryman, died
      after taking 60 painkillers and slashing his wrists.

      The 19-year-old infantryman had undergone pre-deployment training in
      preparation for his tour of duty in Iraq.

      During the course, he was told by his commanders that he could be
      ordered to kill Iraqi children preparing to carry out suicide attacks.

      "Jason said that during the training for Iraq he had been told that
      children as young as two carry bombs and the time may come when he
      would have to shoot one to save himself and his friends," his mother,
      Kerry, said.

      "In training, they were made to wrestle with dummies," added the
      bereaved father.

      "Jason said they were also told they might have to fight kids and that
      they might have to shoot them because they were carrying suicide bombs.

      "He said the policy [where there was a suspected suicide bomber] was
      to shoot first and ask questions later."

      There have been no reported cases of attacks in Iraq carried out by
      young children.

      Pre-Iraq Training

      Chelsea's death has sparked calls for an urgent review of the
      pre-deployment training given to British soldiers bound for Iraq.

      "I support the British Army and what it does. But I would like to
      stand before my son's unit with a picture of him in uniform and ask
      those who made these comments to him time after time to think about
      the effect they had," the mother said.

      Chelsea had joined the British Army at 16 after a visit to St
      Augustine's Catholic school, telling his family that the Army was to
      be his life. He had served in Germany and Cyprus.

      But during his recent staying at his parents' house in Wigan, his
      despair appeared.

      The young soldier wrote a note to his parents before committing suicide.

      "Really sorry, mum and dad. I'm just no good for you. I have got to
      finish it. I am just a waste," he said.

      "My son was made very, very lonely by what was happening to him," the
      father said.

      "He was very sad inside and he bottled up what was causing it. It was
      only after the overdose that he told us about his fears over what
      might happen in Iraq."

      Chelsea's death renews concerns about the psychological pressures
      facing British forces in Iraq.

      Early August, the Ministry of Defense said that 1,541 British soldiers
      in Iraq are suffering from psychiatric illness.

      The BBC said in May that the number of British soldiers deserting
      military service over the US-led invasion has been on the rise with
      more than 1,000 personnel absent without leave and failing to return
      since the war.

      A recent US study revealed that US troops returning from Iraq have the
      highest rate of mental health consultation and psychological problems
      compared to other troops returning from Afghanistan and other trouble