Craig Murray: Hitting a nerve

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2006
      Hitting a nerve
      Craig Murray
      http://www.craigmurray.co.uk/index.html

      I appear to have hit a nerve with my call for a sceptical view of the
      alleged "bigger than 9/11" plot. Over 50,000 people so far have read
      the item on my own blog, and it has been quoted and reposted all over
      the web.

      In the UK, at least, the more serious wing of the mainstream media is
      beginning to catch up with the idea that all is not well here.

      Still, after eight days of detention, nobody has been charged with any
      crime. For there to be no clear evidence yet on something that was
      "imminent" and "Mass murder on an unbelievable scale" is, to say the
      least, rather peculiar. The 24th person, who was arrested amid much
      fanfare yesterday, has been quietly released without charge today.
      Breaking news, another "suspect" has just been released too.

      The drip, drip of information to the media from the security services
      has rather dried-up. The last item of any significance was that they
      had found a handgun and a rifle - neither of which could have been in
      any use in the alleged plot. If you were smuggling undetectable liquid
      explosive onto a plane, you would be unlikely to give the game away by
      tucking a rifle into your hand baggage.

      As with the murder some years ago of the uncle of the suspect held in
      Pakistan, it remains a possibility that there could be some criminal
      activity here involving a few of the suspects, which is not terrorist
      linked.

      As the Police immediately told the press about the guns, it is a
      reasonable deduction that it remains true that they still have found
      no bombs or detonators, or they would have told us, particularly as
      they haven't charged anyone yet. They must be getting pretty desperate
      to announce some actual evidence by now.

      This brings us to one particuarly sinister aspect of the allegations -
      that the bombs were to be made on the plane.

      The idea that high explosive can be made quickly in a plane toilet by
      mixing at room temperature some nail polish remover, bleach, and Red
      Bull and giving it a quick stir, is nonsense. Yes, liquid explosives
      exist and are highly dangerous and yes, airports are ill equipped to
      detect them at present. Yes, it is true they have been used on planes
      before by terrorists. But can they be quickly manufactured on the
      plane? No.

      The sinister aspect is not that this is a real new threat. It is that
      the allegation may have been concocted in order to prepare us for
      arresting people without any actual bombs.

      Let me fess up here. I have just checked, and our flat contains nail
      polish remover, sports drinks, and a variety of household cleaning
      products. Also MP3 players and mobile phones. So the authorities could
      announce - as they have whispered to the media in this case - that
      potential ingredients of a liquid bomb, and potential timing devices,
      have been discovered. It rather lowers the bar, doesn't it?

      This has a peculiar resonance for me. I spoke at the annual Stop the
      War conference a couple of months ago. I referred to the famous ricin
      plot. For those outside the UK, this generated the same degree of hype
      here two years ago. It was alleged that a flat in North London
      inhabited by Muslims was a "Ricin" factory, manufacturing the deadly
      toxin which could kill "hundreds of thousands of people". Police
      tipped off the authorities that traces of ricin had been discovered.
      In the end, all those accused were found not guilty by the court. The
      "traces of ricin" were revealed to be the atmospheric norm.

      The "intelligence" on that plot had been extracted under torture in
      Algeria - another echo here, as the "intelligence" in this current
      case has almost certainly been extracted under torture in Pakistan.
      Another police tip-off to the media was that the intelligence said
      that the ricin had been stored in plastic jars, and they had indeed
      found plastic jars containing a suspicious substance. It turned out
      the containers in question were two Brylcreem tubs. What was in them?
      In the first, paper clips. In the second, Brylcreem.

      I told the story in my speech, and concluded with a ringing "So we
      must congratulate the government for saving us from a dastardly
      Islamic plot to take over the World using hair styling products."

      I fear the government may have taken me seriously!

      I do not discount the possibility that there is a germ of something
      behind the current alleged plot. Will it be anything like the hype? No.

      The hype scarcely lowers. On the flagship ten o'clock news last night,
      the BBC reported breathlessly on the United flight diverted from
      Washington to Boston last night, and its fighter escort. We had very
      earnest besuited security experts terrifying us about the dangers.

      The extraordinary thing was that, by this stage, we knew definitely
      that this was a 60 year old woman with claustrophobia, who had a few
      loose matches and some Vaseline intensive care hand lotion in the
      bottom of her handbag. The facts reported were totally at odds with
      the whole manner of the "be terrified" report and the analysis being
      built on it. But that didn't stop them.

      It has, of course, worked. When did you last see Iraq on the news?
      Where is Liebermann's defeat now on the news agenda?

      A blog like this is much too small a player to affect the public mood.
      What it can do is tap into it. The extraordinary response to these
      posts shows that there is a very significant section of the public not
      prepared to buy more Bush/Blair propaganda.