Chavez seeks Iran oil investment

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2006
      Chavez seeks Iran oil investment
      Sunday 30 July 2006
      http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/22716369-4F29-480D-BE04-BF38E293FD1E.htm

      Hugo Chavez, the Venezuelan president, has invited Iran to invest in
      his country's oil and gas industries during talks with Mahmoud
      Ahmedinejad, the Iranian president.

      Talking to reporters in Tehran, Chavez said that he hoped Iran would
      invest in Venezuela's Orinoco region.

      "We invite Iranian companies to the Gulf of Venezuela and the delta
      for gas production," he said on a visit to Iran as part of a
      four-nation mission that included Qatar, Russia and Belarus.

      Iranian investment in Venezuela last year was worth $1 billion, most
      of it in oil and gas and engineering sectors.

      Venezuela and Iran are both members of the Opec and fierce critics of
      the US and the pair pledged to stand by each other in their struggles
      with the United States.

      Chavez met Ahmedinejad on Saturday and said his country would "stand
      by Iran at any time and under any condition", Iran's state-run
      television reported.

      "Progressive revolutionary"

      Ahmedinejad said, "I feel I have met a brother and trench-mate after
      meeting Chavez.

      "We think Iran and Venezuela should share all experiences of each
      other, stay by each other and they have to be supporters of each other."

      During his visit, Chavez was to inaugurate the new Venezuelan embassy
      in Tehran and Iranian state television reported that he was also to
      meet Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran's supreme leader.

      Ahmedinejad said: "We do not have any limitation in co-operation. Iran
      and Venezuela are next to each other and supporters of each other.

      "Chavez is a source of a progressive and revolutionary current in
      South America and his stance in restricting imperialism is tangible."