MINISTER QUITS COMMITTEE AT JEB BUSH REQUEST

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2006
      CONTROVERSIAL BLACK MINISTER QUITS BROWARD JUDICIAL COMMITTEE AT
      REQUEST OF GOVERNOR

      Gregory Lewis
      South Florida Sun-Sentinel
      July 11, 2006
      http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-cdozierjul11,0,7929225.story

      The Rev. O'Neal Dozier, a controversial member of the Broward Judicial
      Nominating Committee, has resigned the post after he said Gov. Jeb
      Bush's office asked him to step down.

      Dozier, whose recent comments about Islam in a news release and on a
      radio talk show sparked outrage among Muslims, said Monday he did not
      talk to Bush, but he said the governor's office was unhappy with his
      remarks. The committee, which Dozier has been on since 2001, nominates
      judges in South Florida. . .

      In a news release late last month, Dozier called Islam "a cult'' and
      said the mosque's plans have residents in the predominantly "black
      Christian neighborhood" feeling less safe and secure.

      "Their general welfare is being jeopardized by knowing that Muslims
      are invading their neighborhood," Dozier said.

      He said residents worry that Muslims will convert vulnerable young
      black people to Islam.

      "With such a cult in our neighborhood, we believe that our
      neighborhood could become a breeding ground for terrorists,'' he said.

      Altaf Ali, executive director of the Florida chapter of the Council on
      American-Islamic Relations, called Dozier's resignation "unfortunate."
      Ali said he had hoped to sit down with Dozier and iron out the issues
      over the mosque's plans.

      "I feel very sorry for him," Ali said. "I'm disappointed he maintains
      this position."