Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Taliban blasts hit Afghan city

Expand Messages
  • World View
    Taliban Mujahideen blasts hit Afghan city, eight dead KANDAHAR, Afghanistan: Source: AFP: 22 July, 2006: - Two attacks struck Afghanistan s main southern
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      Taliban Mujahideen blasts hit Afghan city, eight dead

      KANDAHAR, Afghanistan: Source: AFP: 22 July, 2006: - Two attacks
      struck Afghanistan's main southern city of Kandahar about an hour
      apart, killing two NATO occupation mercenaries and six Afghan
      civilians, officials said.Twenty-seven Afghan civilians and eight NATO
      mercenaries were also wounded in the blasts which hit about 100 metres
      (yards) from each other in the volatile city, officials from the
      Afghan government and US said. Taliban spokesman Yousuf Ahmadi said
      the movement had carried out both attacks. "The second was pre-planned
      to impact more casualties," he said by telephone from an unknown
      location. The first attack ripped into a vehicle of the US-led
      coalition based in the city at around 5:45 pm (1315 GMT), the US-led
      coalition said.

      ===

      2 Pakistani soldiers killed in convoy blast
      http://www.dawn.com/cgi-bin/dina.pl?file=top12.htm&date=20060728


      MIRAMSHAH, July 27: Two soldiers were killed and two injured when a
      military vehicle hit an improvised explosive device near Machikhel in
      the Mirali area, North Waziristan Agency, on Thursday.

      Officials said that the vehicle was part of a military convoy of 40
      vehicles coming to Miramshah from a garrison in Bannu.

      The explosion was the third in a series of attacks on the troops since
      militants declared a unilateral ceasefire on June 25.

      ===

      22 killed in fresh Afghan violence
      http://www.kuna.net.kw/Home/Story.aspx?Language=en&DSNO=891450


      KABUL, July 29 (KUNA) -- At least 18 Taliban fighters and four
      policemen have been killed in southern Afghanistan as NATO commanders
      announced the anti-insurgents "Operation Mountain Thrust" will end at
      the close of this month.

      British commander David Richard told journalists on Saturday they
      would extend long term support to Afghanistan. He said after taking
      over command of security in the region, the alliance would deploy
      9,000 troops there.

      He said the ongoing operation against Taliban will be ended as the
      26-member North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) take charge of
      security from the coalition forces by the end of this month. The
      "Operation Mountain Thrust" was started in mid May this year and the
      military said more than 600 Taliban had so far been killed in the
      southern parts.

      Meanwhile, 18 Taliban fighters and four Afghan policemen were killed
      in separate operations and attacks in southern and northern parts of
      Afghanistan over the past 24 hours.

      Interior Ministry's spokesman Yousuf Stanizai told reporters 14
      Taliban insurgents were killed during an operation in the Garmser
      district of Helmand province. Four more Taliban were killed in the
      Kapisa province in a clash with police, said the spokesman.

      In a separate attack by Taliban fighters, two policemen were killed
      and two others wounded in the same province, official sources told
      KUNA. Two more policemen were killed when unidentified assailants
      attacked a police post in the northern province of Balkh last night.
      Provincial police department said the attackers fled the scene.
      Without naming any one, police spokesman Sher Jan Durrani said they
      had launched investigations into the incident.

      ===

      Paras claim to have killed 700 Taliban
      Sunday July 30, 2006
      http://paktribune.com/news/index.shtml?151054


      KABUL: Paratroopers have killed more than 700 Taliban fighters during
      fierce battles in southern Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence
      confirmed.

      For 10 weeks troops have been in engaged in daily gunfights for
      control of towns and villages under the sway of insurgent commanders.

      Although military chiefs estimated the Taliban strength to be around
      1,000 when they arrived in May, they were yesterday reticent about
      claiming victory as battles are continuing and terrorist
      reinforcements arrived from Pakistan. However, it is the first time a
      figure of insurgent dead has been confirmed. Many casualties were
      caused by airstrikes, with RAF Harriers and US A10 fighters dropping
      500lb laser-guided bombs.

      Men from 3Bn the Parachute Regiment, part of the 3,600-strong Helmand
      Task Force, had been putting "thousands of rounds down," regimental
      sources said.

      One officer said: "We are taking out six here, 10 there or another 20
      somewhere else. There are 700 dead and we are only half way through
      the tour." However, the MoD indicated that "Taliban" casualty figures
      could include villagers who took on coalition troops once a month or
      fighters paid to fire a rocket propelled grenade or a machine gun.

      Despite the release of the figures, an MoD spokesman said the
      mission's purpose was providing security for reconstruction. However,
      he added: "Every time we meet the Taliban we are defeating them and
      they are taking extraordinary casualties."

      *********************************************************************

      WORLD VIEW NEWS SERVICE

      To subscribe to this group, send an email to:
      wvns-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      NEWS ARCHIVE IS OPEN TO PUBLIC VIEW
      http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/wvns/
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.