Deepak Chopra: Try Listening

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2006
      TRY LISTENING TO MUSLIM WORLD
      DEEPAK CHOPRA
      Baltimore Sun
      6/21/06
      http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bal-op.chopra21jun21,0,6893038.story

      The new watchword phrase for the war is "the way forward in Iraq."

      To extricate himself from the quicksand of bad news from that
      conflict, President Bush came up with the theme just before his
      surprise June 13 visit to Baghdad. He told reporters days earlier that
      he was going to Camp David "with a lot of my Cabinet members to
      discuss the way forward in Iraq, to analyze the new government, to
      look carefully at what their blueprint for the future looks like, and
      to figure out how we can help."

      Yet at a time when fewer than one-third of Americans believe that the
      Iraq war has made us more secure, how is a deeper commitment to
      winning the war going "the way forward"?

      Isn't it possible that we would be more secure by trying to understand
      how Muslims think and feel?. . .

      These facts make me breathe a little easier. . .

      I realize that millions of Americans either don't want to hear any
      more from the Arab world or have fixed negative opinions about those
      who practice Islam. But they also want to find a way to avoid a future
      full of endless battles such as Iraq.

      The beauty of understanding is that it helps clear up one of the chief
      causes of war, which is misunderstanding. Frankly, I'm tired of seeing
      a billion Muslims as one bogeyman. Isn't it time we asked them who
      they really are?

      Deepak Chopra, a senior scientist at the Gallup Organization and
      president of the Alliance for a New Humanity, is the author of "Peace
      Is the Way" and 41 other books. His e-mail is deepak @ anhglobal.org.