Why I admire Ernst Zundel

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2006
      Why I admire Ernst Zundel
      by Chris Womak
      Wednesday, 21 June 2006
      http://www.ziopedia.org/content/view/362/1/

      It has become abundantly clear to me that our allegedly fair and
      balanced mainstream media has seriously misrepresented both Irving and
      Zundel.

      How could anyone admire a man that publicly admits admiration for
      Adolf Hitler, that openly acknowledges himself to be a "Holocaust
      skeptic," and who never apologizes for his political incorrectness and
      nonconformist views? Who could possibly approve of a man who has put
      his personal freedom and indeed life on the line countless times in
      order to do nothing more than bring the world's attention to what he
      believes to be an honest, albeit alternative view of history? Who
      could appreciate anyone bold enough to literally carry a cross on his
      own back, on behalf of all the world's German population for no other
      reason than to at least partially exonerate them of the collective
      guilt forced upon them after the Second World War, and who to this
      very day, denounce Mr. Zundel for his self imposed role as their
      defender? Who could possibly hold in high esteem a man who rejects
      twenty-first century materialism as the answer to life and all its
      mysteries and instead seeks satisfaction in more personal pursuits
      like developing friendships with those that cannot possibly advance
      the "intolerant and violent" racist agenda attributed to the alleged
      "patriarch" of the "hate movement?"

      Who could possibly admire a man that has sustained nothing but
      persecution from society at large, who has been the victim of ongoing
      smear campaigns launched more than three decades ago, who has suffered
      from every conceivable attack on his character, finances, family and
      even on his life. Who could think highly of man who despite all these
      things, and despite the fact that he is in prison at this very moment,
      not for a crime, no…no…. but because the Canadian government has
      determined that this pacifist is somehow a danger to Canada's National
      Security, maintains a positive attitude and believes without any less
      certainty, that his cause is just, and that society will someday judge
      him, not on what the mainstream media says about him today, but upon
      his selfless and altruistic actions over a lifetime.

      Again, I ask, who could ever appreciate a man who for the last
      several decades has devoted himself to bringing forth the unpopular
      views of hard working academics, who were it not for Ernst Zundel, may
      be unknown today, and their work tossed into the sea of forgettable
      historiography, not based on its merit, but based upon the fact that
      it didn't sit well with mainstream and politically acceptable views?
      How could anyone possibly hold a man like this in high regard, when
      there are so many other courageous individuals out there willing to
      stand up for their views, heroes that wouldn't consider apologizing
      for their beliefs, like American politicians? For instance, when Jim
      Moran boldly exclaimed the obvious fact that Israel stood the most to
      gain from a U.S. war in Iraq, and in fact was influencing American
      foreign policy by way of a few well placed American Zionist officials.
      What about Trent Lott, who stated at a GOP function that the United
      States would have been, better off today had Strom Thurmond become
      president back in the 1950s. What about the daring exploits of Howard
      Dean, the Democratic parties best bet in 2004, a man unafraid to take
      a stand on an issue he can apologize for later. Yes, America is full
      of courageous people, people unafraid to throw their neighbor to the
      crocodile, in hopes of being the last eaten.

      If I were interested in apologists and hesitant stands on ambiguous
      issues, I'd have plenty of heroes to admire, right here in the United
      States. Being an academic, I could seek out other academics to idolize
      and/or admire, there are so many courageous examples, although I can't
      think of one right now. Some of you might shout, "Hey, what about Noam
      Chomsky?" I'd just say, been there done that, and found the esteemed
      professor "sympathetic" to Ernst Zundel's plight, "outrageous," he
      even exclaimed, but in the end, he felt that it wouldn't be in
      anyone's best interests, if he were to speak out too vocally on
      Ernst's behalf.

      What about all the gutsy journalists working for the prestigious
      networks and newspapers? Certainly, these bold "defenders" of truth
      and justice would write an article on the illegal nature in which
      Ernst was deported from the United States to Canada, where he was
      subsequently thrown quietly into a solitary confinement cell in the
      Toronto West detention Center, in Toronto Canada. These brave
      journalists would definitely be interested in an expose on how the new
      terrorism laws are already being abused to silence dissent. The idea
      that Mr. Zundel is a threat to any nations national Security is
      ridiculous, the man hasn't committed a violent crime in his entire
      life and has never been convicted of a crime that wasn't later
      overturned in Canada's highest court. The brave and courageous
      purveyor's of "fair and balanced" news haven't written an article yet,
      that even approached an equitable portrayal of Mr. Zundel. Ernst
      Zundel's crime is that he is politically incorrect, nonconformist and
      no matter what the powers that be throw at him, he just won't
      apologize and prostrate himself like our illustrious American
      politicians. He is dangerous only to the status quo, and they know it,
      that in fact is why he currently languishes in prison, not because he
      actually represents a danger to society.

      Ernst Zundel admires Adolf Hitler, so what? Ernst Zundel doesn't
      believe any Jews were gassed at Auschwitz, so what? Ernst Zundel is
      and has been for some time; extremely critical of Zionism and its
      designs on the world, by God…it is too damned bad more people aren't
      behind him on this! Zundel is unafraid to do what Jim Moran didn't
      have the guts to do, and that is to stand up to and challenge the
      State of Israel, and the undisputed influence Zionists have in the
      United States and Canada today. Don't fool yourself, this
      disproportionate influence is very real, Congressmen have written
      books about it, as have Senators. Viktor Ostrovsky, a former Mossad
      agent wrote a tell all book about Israeli espionage in the United
      States and how the Israelis could "count on" American Jews to do much
      of their work for them, after all it was a Jewish thing, and had
      nothing to do with patriotism. It is an undisputed fact that more than
      one hundred Israelis were detained for espionage in the United States
      immediately following September 11th, and inexplicably deported back
      to Israel before charges could filed, and more importantly before the
      American people were informed.

      So, is it possible to admire a man like Zundel? During his infamous
      1988 Holocaust Trial, a trial in which his opponents love to mention
      his conviction, but never mention the fact that this unjust conviction
      was overturned by Canada's highest court later, Zündel apparently
      impressed another young man named Jurgen Neumann who had this to say
      about Ernst Zundel, "he is a very sincere individual. He actually
      seemed to believe exactly what he said… (Amazing) He never avoided any
      questions asked of him." This was what impressed Neumann at the time
      and still impressed him during the 1988 trial. According to Neumann,
      Zundel asked him to do many things that a mere propagandist would
      never request, i.e. continue to independently research the topic. This
      indicated to Neumann that Zündel was sincere about the subject and
      that he continually attempted to widen his field of factual knowledge
      as any historian would. Imagine that, admiring a man that does and
      believes in what he says. Certainly an odd concept in this day and
      age, being that we are so often exposed to a tremendous number of
      people more than willing to take whatever position they are told to
      take, or in the case of the politicians, whichever way the winds blow,
      as manifested by poll results.

      In a recent article entitled "Why I admire David Irving," a gentleman
      by the name of Nick Herbert had this to say about the "notorious"
      David Irving, another controversial revisionist author, "I am not a
      professional historian and my knowledge of what went on in WW II is
      not extensive but for most of my life I have been trained in the
      methods of rational thinking and can follow an argument like a rat
      terrier. I recognize a good argument when I see one and have
      familiarized myself with most of the rhetorical counterfeits of
      reasoning. I consider myself an expert truth-seeker." Herbert then
      went on to say, "As a scientist, seeking truth is part of my
      profession." Interestingly, Herbert later went on to say the he hadn't
      read a single Irving best seller, which indicates to me, that Irving,
      like Zundel before him, has advanced onto a "higher plane," in that
      they both have in many ways become bigger than life. The historian
      Irving rejects this, whereas the publicist Zundel embraces it,
      recognizing the absolute advantage it represents in "getting the
      message out." Another gentleman by the name of Edgar Steele recently
      commented on Irving's apparent hesitation to accept this role, and
      insinuated that Irving preferred to hide among his facts quietly,
      waiting for historical revisionism to somehow become fashionable,
      something Zundel knows will never happen unless revisionists take
      risks, and that is exactly what Ernst Zundel has done for decades.
      Steele even declared that most of Irving's fans probably weren't all
      that interested in his historiography, but instead saw him as an
      symbol, someone that was willing to confront the purveyors of
      distorted history, something so blatantly obvious today, that only the
      most indoctrinated souls still deny the existence of. To take this
      position in regards to Irving does detract from the fact that the man
      is an incredible historian; unparalleled in many respects, and has an
      almost unmatched ability to make written history palatable to the
      masses, his prose is fantastic. But there is an element of truth to
      what Steele says as well, Irving has become bigger than life, even to
      his detractors, who have tried and tried to consign him to the trash
      heap of obscurity without success for more than twenty-five years.

      An interesting detail about both Ernst Zundel and David Irving is
      that neither holds a degree in history, yet both men are infinitely
      better versed in just about every aspect of history than I am, and I
      hold a masters degree in history and politics. Of this, there is no
      doubt whatsoever. I have come to know Mr. Zundel through
      correspondence and am literally amazed at his ability to recall the
      smallest details out of the thousands of history texts he has read. I
      have been told that Mr. Irving has a photographic memory, which may be
      true, and could explain his phenomenal ability to deliver the most
      rational, well-conceived and coordinated presentations I have ever
      heard from any historian.

      It has become abundantly clear to me that our allegedly fair and
      balanced mainstream media has seriously misrepresented both Irving and
      Zundel. When my Hispanic wife and I met Ms. Ingrid Zundel for the
      first time, we didn't meet the "yellow-eyed Hun, black widow spider,
      virulent racist," that the media might have led us believe, no… we met
      one of the most intelligent, kindly and concerned women we had ever
      met. My family and I quickly became enamored with her, and she said,
      what should have been more than obvious at that point, "If only people
      would get to know Ernst, they would find that he is one of the kindest
      people in the world." In fact, that is exactly what I have found by
      corresponding with him, rather than relying on highly biased media
      reports and/or ADL profiles of the man.

      Ernst, unlike most other revisionists, who may in fact actually feel
      the same way, but are too fearful to admit it, is a threat to the ADL
      because he not only denies that there was ever a systematic plan to
      gas Jews during World War II, but also implicates Zionism and its
      appendages, like the ADL, as the exploiters of this myth, for the
      purposes of fleecing the world's Gentile population and the imposition
      of unreasonable, and often dubious political demands, something
      Congressman Jim Moran was once quick to note, and even quicker to
      apologize for. One must wonder if perhaps Ernst Zundel isn't far more
      important than anyone ever imagined, after all, someone went to a
      great deal of trouble to quietly and quickly deport him from the
      United States to a country where they could be sure he would be
      effectively silenced during a period of crisis following September
      11th, in the United States. In fact, Zundel, may have been one of the
      more vociferous whistleblowers in North America following the attack
      in New York, honestly pointing out undeniable, albeit uncomfortable
      facts, like the surreptitious deportation of more than a hundred
      Israeli spies from the US following the attack, as well as the
      extremely unpopular view that Israel was really the only entity with
      anything to gain from a preemptive war in Iraq. Since Zundel's illegal
      arrest and deportation, we have come to learn a lot about the
      integrity of the United States government, namely that it is more than
      willing to deceive us, in order to exert its will over us. If Zundel
      were free today, and not under the news blackout employed to further
      marginalize his most rational views, he'd be unapologetically
      implicating Israel as the soul beneficiary of any further hostilities
      in Iran or Syria as well, an idea that even moderates are now lending
      some credence to.

      So inevitably the question arises, is Ernst Zundel a threat to
      Canada's National Security because he is allegedly the "patriarch" of
      a virulent and violently racist subculture that has never ever
      amounted to much in the political mainstream, or is he a threat
      because there is a great deal of merit to his arguments? The
      aforementioned Noam Chomsky is attributed with having once said, "If
      you don't believe in freedom of expression for those you most despise,
      you don't believe in freedom of expression." Such an incredible simple
      but meaningful concept, yet contemporary Americans cannot accept its
      pure unadulterated logic, despite paying it lip service continuously,
      citing it as perhaps our most important Constitutional right. The
      problem in America isn't that we have no theoretical understanding of
      the importance of our Constitution; it's in our application of the
      principles espoused within that document that we fail. Our government
      through the media propagates its agenda by providing us with its
      simple foundation, never its entire structure, and it reinforces this
      agenda by demonizing and marginalizing its opponents. Being that we
      are almost completely at the mercy of our television, oh come on,
      admit it, we tend to believe what is broadcast, and therefore we
      become the indoctrinated, not the educated, no matter what Fox news
      says, and we then reject, often out of hand dissenting views. This is
      known as "selective distortion," in advertising circles, and is a
      well-known concept throughout the entire media apparatus. In social
      psychology the tendency to accept what one is told, no matter whether
      or not it is accurate, and then reject later information is known as
      "belief perseverance." In either case, it reinforces what a well known
      cosmologist and top thinker named Stephen Hawkin's had to say about
      knowledge and that was, "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not
      ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

      The way in which the mainstream media has portrayed Ernst Zundel over
      these last several decades is absolutely erroneous. The man is not the
      "hate monger," he has been depicted as. Ernst Zundel is dedicated, he
      is honest, intelligent, even frighteningly so and has a tremendous
      amount of integrity. I admire Ernst Zundel, despite his views, because
      he himself is an admirable individual. I do not necessarily care so
      much that his views offend other people; I don't have to. If they
      don't like him or his views, I know for a fact; Ernst isn't going to
      make them listen; he only wants to be free to speak his mind to those
      interested in what he has to say. Unlike our current North American
      governments, Zundel, the alleged "Nazi" believes in freedom of
      expression, and has never espoused otherwise.

      We must remember that it wasn't so long ago that the powers that be
      were referring to James Ennes, the author of Assault on the Liberty as
      an "anti-Semite, a racist and a Nazi," merely because he was relating
      the truth that in 1967 the Israelis intentionally attacked an American
      ship killing dozens and wounding nearly a hundred American sailors.
      The facts behind this case have been known for decades, yet, quite
      honestly, the same powers that seek to silence Zundel today silenced
      Ennes twenty some years ago in the same manner they have traditionally
      attacked the purveyors of truth forever, by slandering them, and going
      after their livelihood, reputation, family, etc… Fortunately for
      Ennes, Mr. Ward Boston, the military officer in charge of the USS
      Liberty investigation in 1967 recently came forward signing affidavits
      testifying to the fact that Lyndon B. Johnson ordered the attack on
      the USS Liberty "covered up," so that the American people, his
      theoretical boss, would never learn the details of what really
      happened. Ennes was "rehabilitated," as Zundel will one day be, but
      Ennes was fortunate in that his ideas didn't land him behind bars. We
      can no longer afford to allow societal leper Pariah's like Zundel, and
      Ennes to suffer for speaking out, when we are either too ignorant or
      afraid to do so.

      Ernst Zundel should never have been illegally and unconstitutionally
      deported from the United States for having an opinion that differed
      from others. He should not have been thrown into a solitary
      confinement cell, denied access to the media and simple items, like
      blankets, chairs, and writing material, but he was. As previously
      mentioned, the man has not been charged with a crime, he is being held
      because his ideas implicate individuals belonging to a powerful and
      wealthy minority within our population in the commission of crimes.
      Crimes that they are in fact guilty of, and know that they are guilty
      of, for this reason they must imprison and silence courageous and
      incorruptible individuals out there like Zundel, who won't sell out
      the truth, no matter what these people do to silence them.

      It for this reason, that I admire Ernst Zundel, a man that refuses to
      apologize for having an educated opinion, a man that remains willing
      to sacrifice everything for others, even if they do not recognize or
      appreciate his efforts. Ernst Zundel is an oddity allright, maybe even
      eccentric, after all, in this day and age, believing in something
      fervently is considered radical, or worse, non-conformist.