Rumsfeld Losing It

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2006
      Runs Away From Press And Acts Generally Weird On Baghdad Trip

      Rumsfeld Losing It
      By Glenn Kessler, Washington Post Staff Writer
      http://www.uruknet.info/?s1=1&p=23001&s2=02

      BAGHDAD, April 27: A full 10 seconds of silence passed after a
      reporter asked Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Defense
      Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld what the intense secrecy and security
      surrounding their visit to Iraq signified about the stability of the
      country three years after the U.S.-led invasion. Rice turned to
      Rumsfeld to provide the answer.

      Rumsfeld glared at the reporter.

      "I guess I don't think it says anything about it," he snapped. He
      went on to say that President Bush had directed him and Rice to go to
      Iraq to "meet with the new leadership, and it happens that they are
      located here," a reference to the heavily fortified Green Zone where
      U.S. officials -- and many Iraqi leaders -- live and work.

      Even though her arrival here followed an exhausting sprint through
      Greece and Turkey, Rice appeared energized by the task at hand.

      Rumsfeld arrived directly from Washington, after a recent Asian tour,
      but he seemed disengaged and bored, both to reporters traveling with
      him and to some U.S. officials. Some said he seemed irritated by the
      whole exercise. He did not speak a word to reporters with him on the
      flight to Baghdad.

      During a joint meeting with reporters traveling with the secretaries,
      Rumsfeld frequently doodled with a black felt-tip pen or stared
      absent-mindedly at the ceiling when Rice spoke. Rice would
      occasionally cast a nervous glance at Rumsfeld as he prepared to
      respond to a question. His answers were terse; hers were expansive.

      The two secretaries recently had a widely publicized dispute over a
      comment by Rice that the administration had probably made "thousands"
      of "tactical errors" in Iraq. Aides later said she had meant it
      figuratively, but it generated headlines around the world. In a radio
      interview, Rumsfeld dismissed it as a comment made by someone who
      didn't understand warfare.

      Asked about the flap here in Baghdad, Rumsfeld replied, "I wasn't
      aware of what she meant." (The transcript shows that the radio
      interviewer described her remarks carefully and placed them in
      context.) Rumsfeld made no effort to smooth over the issue but
      pointed to Rice and said, "She's right here, and you can ask her."

      Rice noted that her comment about tactical errors had been made "not
      in the military sense."

      Rice courted the news media, racing through five television interviews
      in 17 minutes.

      Rumsfeld gave no separate interviews. At one point, he arrived early
      for a meeting and saw an array of television cameras inside the room.
      He shook his head at the reporters and turned on his heel.

      Before the two Cabinet members left Baghdad on Thursday, Rice
      dismissed any suggestions of tension. "Secretary Rumsfeld and I have
      an excellent relationship," she told Fox News. "We're working very
      hard together."

      "We're actually having a great time here in Iraq."