'YOU CRUSHED OUR DAUGHTER'

    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2003
      `IT'S A TERRIBLE THING, LIVING WITH THE KNOWLEDGE THAT
      YOU CRUSHED OUR DAUGHTER'
      Nathan Guttman, Haaretz, 4/30/03
      http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=288495

      WASHINGTON - Cindy and Craig Corrie remember very well the
      conversation when Rachel told them of her plans to go to Rafah to
      join an international delegation of activists that assists the
      Palestinians and fights against house demolitions. "She gave all
      kinds of hints and then she said: `I'm going'," says Craig Corrie. "I
      thought to myself - why don't you find yourself a soup kitchen here
      instead of going over there, but I didn't say anything."...

      "Rachel felt that we don't understand the ongoing violence toward the
      Palestinians, says Cindy. She herself said she empathizes with all
      the sides. "I know there are families in Israel that lost more than
      one family member in suicide attacks and I know now that their pain
      is double," she says. But on the day Rachel would have celebrated her
      24th birthday, Cindy's anger won out. A day earlier, Tom Horndal,
      British ISM activist, had been critically injured and she phoned the
      Israeli consul in San Francisco and told him that despite her great
      empathy for the Jewish people, the fact that the army had already
      injured three unarmed peace activists was not giving her any
      peace. "Even worse is that that same week 17 Palestinians were
      killed, including five children and that didn't make any waves here,"
      says Cindy Corrie...

      Last Thursday, the Corrie family went again to Capitol Hill in
      Washington. They are trying to convince members of both houses of
      Congress to support a draft bill that would require the U.S. to
      investigate the circumstances of their daughter's death. Craig and
      Cindy do not conceal their frustration - mobilizing Congress members
      goes very slowly, political considerations interfere and suddenly,
      they find themselves facing a countermove, that mentions all the
      Americans killed in suicide attacks in Israel. Craig and Cindy say
      they will be happy to support this proposal, but not instead of a
      demand for an investigation...

      Yahoo ads are not under WVNS control.