Israel kills UK cameraman in Gaza

    Message 1 of 1 , May 3 10:25 AM
      Israeli gunfire kills UK cameraman in Gaza

      Israelis kill Hamas leader, 11 others
      GAZA CITY, May 1: The Israeli army killed 12 Palestinians,
      including a two-year-old child and its target, a wanted Hamas
      militant chief, on Thursday in a huge raid on Gaza City, the day
      after the release of a new peace plan.

      Hamas leader Yusef Abu Hin, 38, and his brothers Ayman, 30, and
      Mahmud, 29, also members of the hardline faction, died when troops
      dynamited the four-storey building where they had held out for 15
      hours under the fire of Israeli tanks, infantry and helicopter
      gunships which killed nine other people.....(AFP)

      http://www.dawn.com/cgi-bin/dina.pl?file=top16.htm&date=20030502

      Israeli gunfire kills UK cameraman in Gaza

      By Nidal al-Mughrabi, Reuters AlertNet, 2 May 2003

      http://www.mwaw.org/article.php?sid=2711&mode=thread&order=0

      Israeli forces demolishing a Palestinian home in the southern Gaza
      Strip shot dead a British documentary cameraman on Friday, Israel
      Radio said. It said troops failed to revive James Miller after he was
      hit during a night-time exchange of fire with Palestinian gunmen in
      Rafah, a flashpoint refugee camp on the border with Egypt.

      Palestinian witnesses said the shooting was unprovoked and that
      Miller was shot despite identifying himself as a foreign journalist.

      "We got close to the area and filmed, but we couldn't leave because
      an (Israeli) tank was around 100 metres (yards) from where we stood,"
      Abdel-Rahman Abdullah, a freelance Palestinian journalist who saw the
      incident, told Reuters by telephone.

      "We were very visible to the troops, with a white flag and 'TV'
      markings on our vests, but still the troops opened fire, hitting
      James Miller," he said.

      An Israeli military source denied that any foreigners were targeted,
      and said troops fired only after an anti-tank missile was fired at
      their vehicles, causing no damage.

      The Palestinian home targeted for demolition concealed a tunnel used
      by militants to smuggle arms from Egypt, the military source said.

      A spokesman for the British embassy in Tel Aviv said he was aware of
      the incident but declined to give details.

      Dozens of foreign journalists have fallen casualty while reporting on
      the Palestinian uprising for independence in the West Bank and Gaza,
      which erupted in September 2000.

      Abdullah said Miller and two colleagues were in Rafah making a
      documentary on how children had been affected by the violence. [SC]

      This article originally appeared on Reuters AlertNet

      http://www.iap.org E-mails: iapinfo@...

      Yahoo ads are not under WVNS control.