BROAD DOMESTIC ROLE FOR C.I.A.,PENTAGON

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2003
      BROAD DOMESTIC ROLE ASKED FOR C.I.A. AND THE PENTAGON
      Eric Lichtblau and James Risen, New York Times, 5/2/03
      http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/02/international/worldspecial/02TERR.ht
      ml

      WASHINGTON, May The Bush administration and leading Senate
      Republicans sought today to give the Central Intelligence Agency and
      the Pentagon far-reaching new powers to demand personal and financial
      records on people in the United States as part of foreign
      intelligence and terrorism operations, officials said.

      The proposal, which was beaten back, would have given the C.I.A. and
      the military the authority to issue administrative subpoenas known
      as "national security letters" requiring Internet providers, credit
      card companies, libraries and a range of other organizations to
      produce materials like phone records, bank transactions and e-mail
      logs. That authority now rests largely with the Federal Bureau of
      Investigation, and the subpoenas do not require court approval.

      The surprise proposal was tucked into a broader intelligence
      authorization bill now pending before Congress. It set off fierce
      debate today in a closed-door meeting of the Senate Intelligence
      Committee, officials said. Democrats on the panel said they were
      stunned by the proposal because it appeared to expand significantly
      the role of the C.I.A. and the Pentagon in conducting domestic
      operations, despite a long history of tight restrictions, officials
      saidÂ…

      Timothy Edgar, legislative counsel for the American Civil Liberties
      Union, called the proposal "dangerous and un-American."

      Mr. Edgar said that "even in the most frigid periods of the Cold War,
      we never gave the C.I.A. such sweeping and secret policing powers
      over American citizens."...

      Yahoo ads are not under WVNS control.