Palestine: Assassination in Khan Yunis

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2003
      Israeli soldiers have written numbers in ink on the hands of hundreds
      of Palestinians waiting at a crowded West Bank military checkpoint...
      [BELOW]
      Israel continues state terrorism: 2 Palestinians killed in an extra-
      judicial assassination in Khan Yunis

      Date: 29 April 2003 - Palestinian Centre for Human Rights
      (info@...)

      PCHR strongly condemns the extra-judicial assassination committed by
      Israeli occupying forces on Tuesday, 29 April 2003. The attack
      occurred in the southern Gaza Strip town of Khan Yunis and left two
      Palestinians dead, including one Palestinian activist allegedly
      wanted by Israeli authorities. This latest killing is a continuation
      of the policy of extra-judicial assassination officially adopted by
      the Israeli political and military establishments.

      According to PCHR's investigation and eyewitness testimonies, at
      approximately 09:45 on Tuesday, 29 April 2003, two Israeli Apache
      gunships were seen flying over Khan Yunis. One of the gunships
      launched 2 missiles at a civilian car ( a white Seat Ronda), which
      was traveling towards offices of the Palestinian General Intelligence
      near the College of Science and Technology in Gizan al-Najjar area in
      the south of the town. The two missiles hit the car directly,
      destroying it and killing the driver, who reportedly tried to escape.
      The driver was later identified as Nidal Mohammed 'Ouda Salama, 36,
      from Khan Yunis refugee camp, allegedly wanted by Israeli forces for
      activities with the Popular Front for the Liberation of
      Palestine. 'Awni Mohammed Sarhan, 39, from Khan Yunis, who was
      passing by on an animal cart, was critically injured and later
      pronounced dead.

      PCHR strongly condemns this assassination and expresses deep concern
      over the escalation in extra-judicial assassinations and
      indiscriminate killings, which are considered war crimes under the
      Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949. PCHR believes that this latest
      assassination is further evidence of Israel's disregard for
      international law and humanitarian law. PCHR also asserts that the
      policy of extra-judicial assassinations officially adopted by the
      Israeli government serves to increase tension in the region and
      threatens the lives of Palestinian civilians. Consequently, PCHR
      calls upon the international community to discontinue its policy of
      silence towards such Israeli practices, and reiterates its call upon
      the High Contracting Parties to the Fourth Geneva Convention to
      fulfill their obligations and ensure the protection of Palestinian
      civilians in the Occupied Palestinian Territories.

      Israeli army assassinates two Palestinian resistance fighters

      Occupied Jerusalem: 29 April, 2003 (IAP News)

      The Israeli occupation army on Tuesday murdered two Palestinian
      resistance fighters in two separate attacks in the West Bank and Gaza
      Strip.

      In the first, two Israeli helicopters fired hell-fire air-to-ground
      missiles at the car of Nidal Mohammed 'Ouda Salama, 36, from Khan
      Yunis refugee camp, an activist affiliated with the Popular Front for
      the Liberation of Palestine, killing him immediately.

      The missiles reduced the car into charred, twisted metals.

      Awni Mohammed Sarhan, 39, from Khan Yunis, who was passing by on an
      animal cart, was critically injured and later pronounced dead.

      In the village of Khadr, west of Bethlehem, the Israeli army
      assassinated Mahmoud Salah, a local head of Fatah's armed wing, the
      Aqsa Martyrs Brigade, and badly injured another person.

      The Israeli occupation army has assassinated hundreds of Palestinian
      political and resistance activists since the beginning of the
      Palestinian intifada or uprising against Jewish occupation and
      domination.

      The illegal assassinations are considered war crimes under
      international law, but the United States, Israel's guardian ally, has
      routinely refrained from criticizing the murderous killings.

      WEST BANK CHECKPOINT NUMBERS CASE PROBED
      Mohammed Daraghmeh, Associated Press, 4/29/03

      NABLUS, West Bank - Israeli soldiers have written numbers in ink on
      the hands of hundreds of Palestinians waiting at a crowded West Bank
      military checkpoint, several of the people marked said Monday.

      The army confirmed the incident but said it was done by a lone
      soldier who acted on his own and would face a disciplinary hearing.

      Palestinians with three-digit numbers scribbled on their palms said
      they told the soldiers they considered the practice degrading, but
      they were given a choice to either turn back or submit to the
      marking.

      A similar incident happened in March 2001 when soldiers marked
      numbers on the foreheads and forearms of Palestinian detainees
      awaiting interrogation during an army sweep of a West Bank refugee
      camp.

      At the time, the action drew outrage from an Israeli lawmaker who
      survived the Holocaust, and the practice was halted. During World War
      II, Nazi concentration camp inmates, most of them Jews, had numbers
      tattooed on their forearms...

      Arabic language professor Hamdi Jabali and insurance agent Wael
      Dwaikat were among those in line.

      "A soldier came and told me, 'Give me your hand,'" Jabali, 46,
      said. "I said, 'Why?' and he said, 'I want to write a number on your
      hand.' I told him, 'This is not human. We use this only for animals,'
      and he told me 'If you don't want it you can go back.'"

      Jabali, who was given the number 125, said some of the 100 or so
      people waiting in front of him when he arrived at 8 a.m. turned back
      instead of accepting the numbers...

      Yahoo ads are not under WVNS control.