SIN AND SEX RETURN TO BAGHDAD

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2003
      SIN AND SEX RETURN TO BAGHDAD
      Niko Price, Associated Press, 4/29/03

      BAGHDAD, Iraq - Baghdad has gone through a revolution in the past
      three weeks, casting off decades of censorship and state control.
      Banned books, satellite dishes and video CDs are now sold on the
      street - as are alcohol and women.

      Nobody knows how long the permissiveness will last. Iraq's American
      governors brought together Iraqi political leaders Monday to discuss
      a new government, and many Baghdadis believe that once it's in place,
      some of their freedoms will disappear.

      Conservatives are counting on it.

      Horrified by the changes, some Iraqis blame America for what they
      call a cultural degradation. If it continues for long, they promise
      to rise up in a holy war against the U.S. forces occupying their
      country.

      "Everything against Islam, everything we hate, has been imported by
      the Americans like a disease," said Abbas Hamid, a 60-year-old
      merchant. "We'll fight them. We're tired now, but we'll rest up and
      use our guns to drive the Americans out..."

      Prostitutes walk the streets in some neighborhoods, beckoning passing
      motorists...

      Also for sale on street corners were cases of Amstel beer and bottles
      of Jack Daniel's whiskey. In recent years, alcohol was forbidden from
      public places in Iraq.

      Yahoo ads are not under WVNS control.