US VET FINDS PEACE IN ISLAM

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2006
      EX-SOLDIER FINDS PEACE IN ISLAM
      Ryan McCrossin, Oakland Tribune, 2/22/06
      http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/localnews/ci_3534704

      Fernandes returned from his first deployment in June 2004 and, during
      a visit to Lititz, Pa., learned that his father, Jerry Fernandes, once
      a devout Catholic, had converted to Islam.

      The sergeant didn't strike out at his father upon learning the news.
      He calmly listened to the Vietnam veteran tell how he became curious
      about the faith when his son deployed to Iraq because he, like his
      son, had once been touched by Islamic hospitality. His father's good
      friend was a Muslim who had raised Jerry Fernandes for a short time
      when he was a teenager.

      "I had to try to understand all this because all I was hearing was
      Islamic terrorist this, Islamic terrorist that," said the elder Fernandes.

      The sergeant's curiosity was piqued, and he coiled his mind around
      Islam by interrogating his father further and reading up on the faith.
      He even went to his father's mosque and spoke with the imam, or prayer
      leader, about Islam.

      Sgt. Fernandes converted to Islam in just one month after being drawn,
      in part, by the fact that the Quran, unlike the Bible, has never been
      revised. Now he is a strict Muslim. (MORE)