Castro offers free eye care to poor U.S. citizens

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006
      Castro offers free eye care to poor U.S. citizens
      Feb 14, 2006
      FinalCall.com

      President Fidel Castro
      HAVANA, Cuba (caribbeannetnews/AFP) - On January 22, President Fidel
      Castro invited U.S. citizens too poor to afford eye care to come to
      Cuba for treatment. He even offered to send an airplane to Florida to
      fly patients to Cuba.

      Cuba and Venezuela, led by President Hugo Chavez, have included
      Americans in their "Operation Miracle," which offers free eye
      treatment to six million Latin Americans over 10 years.

      "I wonder if (the U.S. government) will authorize our plane to pick
      them up in Florida, or if they prefer that they stay blind," Pres.
      Castro said. He also noted that Cuba would be able to perform 150,000
      eye operations "for the impoverished people of the United States."