Saudi King: "Islam Is Our Priority"

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2006
      Islam Is Our Priority, Not Arabism, Says Abdullah
      http://www.arabnews.com
      http://lookera.com/worldnews/article.php/20060130021303970

      NEW DELHI/HONG KONG, 29 January 2006 — Custodian of the Two Holy
      Mosques King Abdullah urged Arabs yesterday to unite under the banner
      of Islam.

      "Islam must be given priority over Arabism as it united the Arabs . .
      . when they were divided," the Saudi Press Agency quoted the king as
      saying.

      King Abdullah made this comment while receiving Arab ambassadors and
      heads of Arab missions in New Delhi on Friday before leaving for Hong
      Kong at the conclusion of his historic visit to India.

      "I am happy to learn that our people in the Arab world believe in this
      principle," the king said and hoped that Arabs would unite, giving
      priority to their common interests like the European countries.

      "There are no wars or enmity or problems between Arab countries but
      some evil forces are working to divide them," King Abdullah told the
      ambassadors.

      "Unity will strengthen the Ummah and help restore its glory," the
      Saudi leader said and hoped that the unity of Arabs would not take long.

      "We have seen other countries forging unity, despite their
      differences. On the other hand, we Arabs are one in terms of our
      religion and faith. So we need not be disappointed," he added.

      "We have to work together to establish truth and justice and unify the
      Arab ranks," he added.

      Abdullah spoke high about his four-day visit to India, which saw the
      signing of 15 bilateral agreements including a landmark anti-terror
      pact and a joint declaration on strategic energy partnership.

      King Abdullah arrived in Hong Kong yesterday, accompanied by a
      high-level delegation including Foreign Minister Prince Saud Al-Faisal
      and Chief of General Intelligence Prince Muqrin as well as senior
      Cabinet members such as Labor Minister Ghazi Al-Gosaibi, Oil Minister
      Ali Al-Naimi and Finance Minister Ibrahim Al-Assaf.

      Assaf said Abdullah's visit, the first by a Saudi king to India in 50
      years, showed his desire to promote the longstanding relations between
      the two countries.

      Speaking at the Institute of Economic Development in Delhi University,
      Assaf said the interdependence of Saudi Arabia, being the world's
      largest oil exporter, and India, whose energy requirements are growing
      steadily, gave greater scope for strengthening bilateral cooperation.