Wounded Soldiers Owe Money to Army

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2006
      'Nightline' Investigation:
      Wounded Soldiers Told They Owe Money to Army
      January 31, 2006

      It was one of the thousands of roadside bombs in Iraq that paralyzed
      Staff Sgt. Eugene Simpson.

      "My first instinct was to jump farther back into the Humvee, you know,
      for protection," Simpson said. "But in doing that, I opened my back up
      to all the scrap metal and debris, which hit my spine and severed my
      spine, paralyzing me."

      He was soon on a plane home.

      Fast-working, skilled Army doctors saved his life, as they have so many.

      Slow, bumbling Army bureaucrats would make his life miserable, as they
      have so many.

      "And the military basically is, like, they turn their back on you, you
      kind of feel that you've just been used," Simpson said.

      *No Pay for Four Months*

      It started with a phone call from his wife, home with their four
      children. She didn't have enough money to pay the bills.

      "And she was like, well, we haven't been paid," Simpson said. "And you
      know, instantly I was like, I don't know what to do. You know, I'm
      still in the hospital. I can't actually get up and go around and talk
      to these different people."

      And until "Nightline" inquired at the Pentagon, Simpson said he could
      not find out what happened.

      "Every day is something different," he said. "Well, this person isn't
      in. I'll have them call you back, give it a couple days. Couple days
      go by, I call back, well I got somebody else for you to talk to. And
      days lead to weeks, and weeks lead to months."

      It turns out the Army had mistakenly continued to pay Simpson a combat
      duty bonus while he was in the hospital.

      He had been overpaid thousands of dollars, and the Army wanted the
      money back.

      "By law, he's not entitled to the money," said Col. Richard Shrank,
      "so he must pay it back."

      Shrank said although that is the law, soldiers can apply for debt
      forgiveness if they believe the debt is a mistake. So far, more than
      800 soldiers have done so. More than 600 of those requests have been
      granted, amounting to more than $600,000.

      So, the Army said it withheld the paralyzed soldier's pay until it got
      back the amount he owed -- with no advance notice, Simpson said.

      "Four months," he said. "I didn't get paid for four months."

      *An Ongoing Problem*

      Simpson is not the only one. A study commissioned by the First
      Infantry Division estimated that eight out of 10 of its wounded
      soldiers from Iraq have gone through the same or a similar ordeal.

      Capt. Michael Hurst, now out of the Army, conducted the study.

      "You have to understand that these soldiers are suffering from
      incredible injuries, some of them have lost limbs, some of them may
      never walk again," Hurst said. "And in the midst of that struggle, to
      then get a paycheck for nothing really hurts morale."

      And the Army can play tough to get its money back.

      In the case of Sgt. Ryan Kelly, who lost his leg in Iraq, he had just
      finished going through rehabilitation when the Army sent a letter
      threatening to ruin his credit and call in debt collectors.

      He had been overpaid by $2,200 while in the hospital, but, like most,
      never realized it.

      It took Kelly almost a year to cut through the red tape and get the
      debt forgiven.

      "Soldiers receive a paycheck and reasonably think that this is their
      accurate pay for the month," Hurst said. "And being in the situation
      they're in, having just been injured and in some cases spouses have to
      quit jobs in order to spend time at Walter Reed, many of these
      families are really hurting for funds. So a lot of that money gets
      spent right away."

      *'Failed Test'*

      The Government Accountability Office described the Army as having
      failed the test of taking care of its wounded from Iraq.

      The report concluded that the soldiers fighting to defend the nation
      have paid the price for that failure.

      Shrank disagreed, however. "No, I would not agree that we have failed
      the test, because we are making the fixes to bring it up to standard,"
      he told "Nightline."

      Shrank took over as commander of the United States Army Finance
      Command last summer to help fix the problem, a problem the GAO said
      had been ignored until the soldiers went public.

      "Nightline" asked when the problem was first realized and why it took
      so long to realize it.

      "We first realized it was a problem when it came into our view through
      many different channels," Shrank said. "You see it on [television],
      read about it in the papers. A soldier without a paycheck is a
      situation that nobody wants to see."

      Shrank was asked if it had happened thousands of times. "I, no, I do
      not think thousands of times," he said. "It happened, one time is too

      Shrank could not name an exact number, but the Army told "Nightline"
      that 5,549 soldiers, or about one out of five soldiers who were
      removed from battle for medical reasons later had payroll problems.

      *'Nobody Planned for This to Happen'*

      "You know, as a West Pointer and as a leader in the Army that one of
      the main things that we're taught is when you have soldiers that you
      are responsible, you have to take care of them, you have to take care
      of their family," Hurst said.

      "And that's kind of the exchange that takes place between leaders and
      soldiers. And for a lot of these soldiers this is just a betrayal
      really. They feel abandoned, when they're in such a vulnerable
      position and their leaders aren't taking care of them."

      Shrank said the process failed the soldiers, "but the leaders didn't
      fail the soldiers because we are making the changes to improve the
      processes to take care of our soldiers and their pay."

      Shrank said he is not aware of anyone losing their command over the
      thousands of incidents. When asked if the problem could not have been
      anticipated, he said, "As we experienced taking care of pay for our
      wounded soldiers, we saw that the, what we had in place did not work.
      As I told you."

      "Well," he added, "nobody planned for this to happen."

      Shrank said, "It was planning that did not meet the standard and the
      execution that we wanted to achieve."

      *Fixing the Problem*

      Shrank said he's moving fast to fix the problem.

      There's still no integrated payroll computer system, but now wounded
      soldiers are assigned a finance officer once they arrive at the
      Landstuhl Army Hospital in Germany to help keep track of payroll
      changes and problems.

      And the colonel says wounded soldiers like Kelly will no longer be
      reported to credit agencies or have debt collectors go after them.

      "The soldiers have a right to feel that the system let 'em down," he
      said. 'And it did let them down. This, we know this. We see this. This
      is why we fixed the system."

      Meanwhile, Simpson gave up trying to rectify the situation. "I mean,
      I've had people on the phone just flat out tell me, I can't help you,
      no need for you to call here anymore," he said.

      Shrank said for those like Simpson, "I would tell those soldiers that
      I care about them," he said, adding, "And I want to see that they
      received their proper pay."

      In fact, he told "Nightline," he wants soldiers in this situation to
      call him. "Yes," Shrank said. "If that's what it takes, yes."