U.S. Training Murderous Algerian special forces

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2002
      U.S. trains Murderous Algerian special forces

      uploaded 14 Nov 2002

      The United States is training Algeria's military and security forces
      to fight Islamic activists.

      U.S. officials said the Bush administration plans to expand its aid
      to Algeria in the military and security field. They said the aid
      will include the transfer of equipment and accelerated training for
      Algerian special forces.

      Washington relayed its pledge to increase military and security aid
      to Algeria during a visit by U.S. Undersecretary of State Marc
      Grossman last week to Algiers. Grossman was said to have outlined a
      range of proposals to increase cooperation between the two countries.

      "We are doing that with some joint training and also with other help
      that we can provide," Grossman told a news conference in Algiers
      last week. "And I believe that that assistance will grow."

      Grossman said the U.S. help would focus on counter-terrorism. He did
      not elaborate but said the assistance would also seek to enhance
      Algeria's judicial system.

      Officials acknowledged that Algeria has complained of what it has
      termed the low level of U.S. assistance to the North African
      country. They said U.S. equipment has been minimal and slow in
      arriving.

      But the Bush administration, officials said, has pledged to
      accelerate military and security aid. They cited visits over the
      last month by senior U.S. military commanders. They included NATO
      Supreme Allied Commander for Europe Gen. Joseph Ralston.

      "Algerians of course have suffered from terrorism for a very long
      time and that is something that binds Americans and Algerians,"
      Grossman said.

      Source: World Tribune

      AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE OPINION OF WORLD VIEWNEWS SERVICE