Iraq: Letter from US Soldier

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2006
      War based on a lie
      Capt. Jeff Pirozzi
      Stars and Stripes
      Letters to the Editor for Monday, November 28, 2005
      http://www.estripes.com/articleprint.asp?
      section=125&article=33305#pacific

      Weapons of mass destruction? I'm still looking for them, and if you
      find any give me a call so we can justify our presence in Iraq. We
      started the war based on a lie, and we'll finish it based on a lie.
      I say this because I am currently serving with a logistics
      headquarters in the Anbar province, between the cities of Fallujah
      and Ramadi. I am not fooled by the constant fabrication
      of "democracy" and "freedom" touted by our leadership at home and
      overseas.

      This deception is furthered by our armed forces' belief that we can
      just enter ancient Mesopotamia and tell the locals about the
      benefits of a legislative assembly. While our European ancestors
      were hanging from trees, these ancient people were writing algebra
      and solving quadratic equations. Now we feel compelled to strong-arm
      them into accepting the spoils of capitalism and "laissez-faire"
      society. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching Britney Spears on MTV
      and driving to McDonald's, but do you honestly believe that Sunnis,
      Shias and Kurds want our Western ideas of entertainment and freedom
      imposed on them? Think again.

      I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic. The reality in Iraq is
      that the United States created a nightmare situation where one
      didn't exist. Yes, Saddam Hussein was an evil man who lied, cheated
      and pillaged his own nation. But how was he different from dictators
      in Africa who commit massive crimes again humanity with little
      repercussion and sometimes support from the West? The bottom line up
      front (BLUF to use a military acronym) is that Saddam was different
      because we used him as an excuse to go to war to make
      Americans "feel good" about the "War on Terrorism." The BLUF is that
      our ultimate goal in 2003 was the security of Israel and the
      lucrative oil fields in northern and southern Iraq.

      Weapons of mass destruction? Call me when you find them. In the
      meantime, "bring 'em on" so we can get our "mission accomplished"
      and get out of this mess.

      Capt. Jeff Pirozzi
      Camp Taqaddum, Iraq