About my right to return

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2005
      About my right to return
      Eugene Weixel
      http://fatoldjewishguywholivesintheprojects.blogspot.com/2005/12/about-my-right-to-return.html

      People want to know what I, a Jewish guy, think about Israel.

      I want to make something clear. I live in New York. I am from New
      York. I do not have a right and do not want a right to "return" to
      Israel. I never was there. I want to skip all the arguments about
      whether or not today's Jews descend from the people of the Old
      Testament. I don't care if I do or I don't. It doesn't matter nor
      should it.

      The territory that is known to many as Palestine had been peopled by
      Arabic speaking folks for centuries, mainly they were Muslims, many
      were Christians, and a few of them Jewish too. Most of those people
      were kicked out of their lands and homes in 1948 by people like David
      Ben Gurion and Ariel Sharon and more were expelled in 1967. They are
      the ones who have a right to return, not me.

      Actually there is a place I want to return to. The New York of my
      youth. That was a place where the schools were the best. Where a first
      class education to the university level was there for free, with extra
      money for the most gifted. It was a place where a widow working as a
      sales clerk could pay the rent for an apartment for her kid and
      herself, not a room in someone else's place.

      The place I want to go back to was called a "Union Town." There were
      factories and warehouses and eleven or twelve newspapers that hired
      typesetters, proofreaders, truck drivers and more, people who could on
      their wages, pay a going rent.

      Yes, let the Palestinians return to their homes, and let me return to
      mine.