DRINKS FLOW IN KABUL

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2003
      DRINKS FLOW AT BAR IN KABUL
      Todd Pitman, Associated Press, 4/17/03
      http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/nationworld/sfl-
      aafghanpub17apr17,0,1206454.story

      KABUL, Afghanistan -- In Taliban times, it would have been
      unimaginable: a fully stocked Irish pub serving whiskey and cold beer
      in the heart of Afghanistan's ultra-Islamic capital.

      In the post-Taliban era, Kabul's new Irish Club, the country's only
      bar, is still unthinkable, at least for Afghans. But it's a huge
      success with the many foreigners who are desperate for a little bit
      of nightlife.

      "Walk in that front door and you'll find a very different world in
      here," says Allan Ferguson, 57 an Australian businessman sitting on a
      barstool as Irish folk tunes blare from speakers overhead. "You could
      be anywhere, Ireland, Australia, America. But walk outside, and
      you'll be back in Afghanistan."

      The Irish Club opened on a secluded side street in central Kabul last
      month on, St. Patrick's Day...

      In a mock-Tudor style house behind the blank outer wall, immaculate
      Afghan waiters in black pants, white shirts and black bow ties serve
      up beer for $2 and cocktails for $3. Customers, mostly aid workers,
      diplomats and journalists, crowd around a wooden bar topped off with
      green marble imported from Ireland...

      "I'm sad we can't let them in, but this is a Muslim country and it's
      the government's wish that we don't encourage their sons and
      daughters to participate," Quade says, before taking a swig from a
      tall glass of Foster's lager...

      Yahoo ads are not under WVNS control.