U.S. SCRUTINIZES CHARITIES

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2003
      MUSLIMS HESITATING ON GIFTS AS U.S. SCRUTINIZES CHARITIES
      Laurie Goodstein, New York Times, 4/17/03
      http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/17/international/worldspecial/17CHAR.ht
      ml

      A large mosque in Santa Clara, Calif., held a fund-raising event last
      Saturday for an Islamic charity that is raising money for food and
      medical supplies to send to Iraq. Attendance was strong, bolstered by
      American Muslims who watched the war on Middle Eastern satellite
      channels that replayed scenes of wounded Iraqis, thirsty children and
      looted hospitals.

      But organizers of the event said several wealthy donors privately
      told them that they were writing smaller checks than they would have
      liked, or were too afraid to contribute anything at all.

      With four American Muslim charities shut down by the government over
      accusations of ties to terrorist groups, and several prominent Muslim
      donors now indicted or detained, American Muslims say they are scared
      to do anything that might bring scrutiny from the Federal Bureau of
      Investigation -- and that includes donating to Islamic charities.

      "I have children to raise, I have a business to run, and I don't want
      to take any chances," said a California entrepreneur named Hasan, who
      did not want his last name used for fear of attracting attention. He
      gave $2,000, but says he would otherwise have given $20,000. "I want
      to do something to help innocent civilians, but how am I going to
      fight the system here if the F.B.I. comes to me and accuses me of
      something?"...

      Yahoo ads are not under WVNS control.