Norway school bans Star of David

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2005
      Norway school bans Star of David; teacher may fight ban
      http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3152397,00.html

      School head bans Jewish symbol 'for fear of provoking Muslim
      students'; teacher hires lawyers, vows to fight back

      Norway - A teacher working at an adult education center who has been
      told to stop wearing a Star of David because it "provokes the many
      Muslim students at the school" in 2004 is now considering legal
      action against the ban, the Norwegian television network NRK has
      reported.

      School head Kjell Gislefoss, said he thought that the Star of David
      can be seen to represent the State of Israel and is fearful of
      offending the school's Muslim students, citing immigrants from the
      Palestinian territories.

      "The Star of David would be a symbol for one side in what is perhaps
      the world's most inflamed conflict at the moment."

      "Many have a traumatic past that they have escaped and then we feel
      that if they are going to learn Norwegian then they can't sit an at
      the same time be reminded of the things they have traveled from,"
      said Gislefoss.

      But Telhaug has vowed to stand up for his right to wear the Star and
      has hired lawyers ahead of a possible legal battle.

      Inge Telhaug told NRK that his right to freedom of speech was
      violated by the banning.

      "I can't accept this. It is a small star, 16 millimeters (0.6
      inches) that I have around my neck, usually under a T-shirt. I see
      it as my right to wear it," Telhaug told NRK.

      Telhaug, who is not Jewish, teaches the Norwegian language and
      culture to new immigrants at the school.

      "I see it as the oldest religious symbol we have in our culture,
      because without Judaism there would be no Christianity," he said.

      The decision to ban the Jewish symbol from the school was slammed
      as "unacceptable" by head of local Education Association, Heidi
      Hauge Uldal.

      Norway's education minister, Kristin Clemet, said last year that she
      had no intention of banning the wearing of hijabs in Norwegian
      public schools.

      "It is typically Norwegian clothing that has caused more problems in
      Norwegian schools," she said.

      [NOTE: The Star of David, like the Swastika, is an ancient Hindu
      symbol which in more recent times has come to symbolize support for
      genocide. It was very responsible and sensitive for the school to
      ban it in respect for Palestinian students who had been traumatized
      by misuse of that symbol, which originally meant the union of the
      spirit and earth in the heart chakra.]