No defection from Iraqi regime

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2003
      No defection from Iraqi regime: Hoon

      LONDON, March 31: Twelve days into the Iraq war, not one senior Iraqi
      politician or military commander has defected from President Saddam
      Hussein's regime, British Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon acknowledged
      on Monday.

      "After 12 days, we are making steady progress in achieving our
      objectives in Iraq," said Mr Hoon as he fielded questions in the
      House of Commons on the US-led invasion of Iraq.

      But he acknowledged: "There have been as yet no defections of very
      senior politicians or very senior military commanders."

      QATAR: British commandos captured five senior Iraqi officers in an a
      clash with Iraqi paramilitaries near Basra on Sunday but none of them
      was a general as had been initially reported, a British military
      spokeswoman said here Monday.

      "We have got five senior Iraqi officers but none of them is a
      general," Major Catherine Convery said here.-AFP

      www.dawn.com

      Yahoo ads are not under WVNS control.