Stop Targeting Publishers!

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2005
      Stop Targeting Publishers!

      (please sign and forward to plumenclume @ yahoo.com)

      The Parisian publisher Al Qalam ('The Quill' in Arabic) has been
      taken to court on a complaint by LICRA on a charge of anti-Semitism,
      for having published Israel Shamir's book L'autre visage d'Israel
      (The Other Face of Israel, known in English as Galilee Flowers), a
      translation of essays in defence of equality and democracy for Jews
      and non-Jews in Palestine/Israel. The court case will take place at
      Nanterre Court, near Paris, on September 6th, at 13.30.

      The judicial harassment of publishers who have enough courage to
      publish authors critical of the State of Israel has thus attained a
      new level, following the case against La Fabrique for having
      published L'industrie de l'Holocauste (The Holocaust Industry) by
      Norman Finkelstein (the case was won against Avocats sans frontières,
      represented by W Golnadel, who has launched an appeal). This latest
      charge is based on a list of sentences taken out of context, in the
      usual inquisitorial fashion, with the aim of creating an image of the
      author as a dangerously extremist individual. Al Qalam's catalogue is
      focussed on the culture of the Arab-Muslim world. This prosecution is
      a part of the process of de-legitimising Arab-Muslim thought, as a
      part of the hysteria orchestrated by the US and Israel, for their
      expansionist, hegemonic plans.

      We are appealing to publishers and readers to demonstrate their
      devotion to freedom of thought and expression by supporting Al Qalam
      Publishers. Otherwise, the publishers of Molière, Baudelaire, Céline,
      or Voltaire may be next in the line. Unless, in the colonial mood,
      only the heirs of colonisation should be prevented from participating
      in the influence of francophone culture?

      The targeted author, Israel Shamir, is an Israeli writer, originally
      from Russia, whose works had been translated into all the languages
      of Europe, and who is not the subject of prosecution, neither in his
      own country, nor in France.

      Those who practice judicial harassment under the pretext of combating
      anti-Semitism, hope that the sort of social corporatism inspired by
      the Israeli model will gain ground in France, unravel the fabric of
      republicanism, and involve us in a pseudo-war between civilisations
      which would only be a new stage in the war between the haves and the
      have-nots. Nobody is obliged to support the plan for a democratic
      society, respectful of the beliefs of all its members, as Israel
      Shamir is arguing for the territory of historic Palestine (i.e.
      British Mandated Palestine). However, the principle of a democratic
      society, respectful of the beliefs of all its members, is where the
      great strength of secular, republican France has lain to date. We
      deem that the defence of the publishers, Al Qalam, comes under the
      protection of thought of all. We are thus appealing for support to
      its courageous editor, Mr Cherifi, at the Librairie du Monde Arabe,
      220 rue Saint Jacques, Paris. We will not let him be ruined by an
      inquisitorial trial, which would then be followed by redoubled
      attempts at stifling everyone's freedom of thought.

      Support Editions Al Qalam!

      I support the French publisher Al Qalam, as I would support La
      Fabrique publisher last year, because they publish important books
      about Israel/Palestine, for I value freedom of expression. I forward
      this call to other persons and send some financial support for the
      trial expenses to:

      CCP 30041 - 00001- 1382554G020- 70

      Name

      First name

      Occupation

      Works by Israel Shamir available in French:

      L'autre visage d'Israel I « Fleurs de Galilée », 430 p, Paris, ed. Al
      Qalam 2004;

      Pardes, une étude la Kabbale, 159 p., Paris, éd. Al Qalam 2005 ;
      (order it by writing a message to : Association Entre la Plume et
      l'Enclume (http://www.geocities.com/plumenclume/index.htm),
      plumenclume@...

      The books of Israel Shamir Galilee Flowers, Our Lady of Sorrow and
      the Pardes are also available in English from Surge Books,
      www.booksurge.com

      The Galilee Flowers is available also in Norwegian, Italian,
      Hungarian, German, Swedish, Spanish, Russian etc see details on
      www.israelshamir.net