Cindy Sheehan: Goodbye to Crawford

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2005
      Goodbye to Crawford - But Not to Camp Casey
      by Cindy Sheehan
      Tue Aug 30th, 2005
      http://www.livejournal.com/users/mparent7777/2322673.html

      Day 24
      The Peaceful Occupation of Crawford

      While George golfed yesterday, the worst hurricane ever struck New
      Orleans; oil went up to over 68.00/barrel; and an American soldier
      was killed in the charade and cataclysmic occupation of Iraq. The
      soldier's family doesn't even know what's going to hit them yet. The
      death is "Pending Notification." I continually ask myself: "How do
      George Bush and other death-mongers live with themselves?" While
      George vacations and bikes and golfs his way to the lowest poll
      numbers since Richard Nixon, other "patriots" are wrapping themselves
      in the Stars and Stripes and going along with the farce that the
      mission from hell: Killing more people in Iraq, because so many have
      already been killed" is somehow a good thing ordained by God. I can
      live with myself, but trust me, sleep does not come easily to me
      these days.

      Yesterday at Camp Casey was, again naturally, an amazing day. Dennis
      Means from the A.I.M. came with a group of Native American musicians
      and they made a presentation to me. He gave me a shawl in the
      tradition of Tecumseh and he pinned a brooch of 5 stars on it
      from "One chief to another." He also said we should all change our
      last names to Sheehan and he will be known as: Dennis Means Sheehan!
      Sheehan is Gaelic for "Peace" which I think is such a cool thing, and
      not a coincidence. Casey Sheehan's sacrifice will stand for peace
      forever.

      I missed the candlelight vigil at Camp Casey I last night, but I
      heard that the counter-protestors came over and held vigil with us
      for our killed heroes. I heard it was beautiful and life-affirming.
      This is what Camp Casey does for us: it transforms bitter anger into
      righteous, productive anger. It turns hate into love. It brings
      people together in new love and cements mature relationships. It
      brings other people together who would normally not ever meet and
      makes them lifelong soul-friends. It heals broken hearts and mends
      broken souls. I know Camp Casey has healed my broken soul and heart.
      A veteran from the Iraq tragedy told me that he is now cured of any
      bad feelings he had.

      Just another day at Camp Casey.

      I must admit when I sat down in the ditch on August 6th, I thought to
      myself: "Self, what the hell did you do? Texas in August? A ditch
      filled with fire ants, rattle snakes, and chiggers? Pooping in a
      bucket? Dodging lightening bolts and heat exhaustion? But I knew I
      would have to suffer it through to the end. I knew that the people of
      Iraq and our soldiers have it far worse than we did. I thought as
      long as I could have plenty of water and an occasional shower at the
      Peace House, that I would survive.

      What I never thought, however, was that I would grow to love it here:
      That I would be so overwhelmed by the magnitude of love and support I
      receive that I would be depressed to leave Camp Casey. I don't want
      to leave, but I know that for the Camp Casey movement to keep
      growing, we have to leave Crawford and take Camp Casey to the people.

      Tonight I will write to look back on the good times, less than good
      times and the miracles that occurred here in Crawford. But I want to
      thank one person for the best "vacation" and most amazing experience
      I have ever had: George Bush: Thank you George for not meeting with
      me on August 6th and thank you for being the motivation for Camp
      Casey. I know you don't want Camp Casey to come to the place you
      reside between vacations, so I would suggest you bring our troops
      home immediately.

      But most of all: thank you my son. Thank you for living the kind of
      life that inspires people to work for peace and justice. Thank you
      for choosing me to be your mom. Thank you for being the embodiment of
      love and thank you for being the inspiration for the Camp Casey
      movement. I promise you it won't end until all of your buddies are
      brought home. And I promise I will fight for your unborn nieces and
      nephews and the rest of the children of the world, so they won't be
      misused and abused by corrupt leadership like you and your buddies
      were.

      I love you Casey.