ANTI-MUSLIM INCIDENTS

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2003
      In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful

      ANTI-MUSLIM INCIDENTS IN CALIFORNIA, MICHIGAN AND ILLINOIS
      Women verbally assaulted, father and son refused service, mosque
      threatened

      (WASHINGTON, D.C., 3/20/2003) - A prominent national Islamic civil
      rights group announced today that several anti-Muslim incidents have
      been reported recently in California, Michigan and Illinois. The
      Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)
      attributes these incidents to the pro-war rhetoric leading up to last
      night's attack on Iraq and called on President Bush to once again
      speak to the issue of anti-Muslim bias.

      In California, four Muslim women from the northern part of that state
      visiting a Venice restaurant on Sunday say they were verbally
      assaulted by another patron who made references to raping Muslim
      women and threatened them with physical assault.

      The women, all wearing Islamic head scarves, say a white male began
      playing a guitar and singing after they entered the restaurant. His
      song allegedly contained lyrics such as: "Those goddamn Muslim
      terrorists attack our country....They wear ugly robes that are so
      stinky...And they rape their women all the time...but since their
      women like it, they don't need to get it over there, we can give it
      to them here."

      After the Muslim women reported the man's actions to the restaurant
      manager, he became even more upset and threatened the women with
      physical harm. The man was later arrested by the Los Angeles Police
      Department. CAIR and the women's civil rights attorney are calling on
      local law enforcement and the FBI to treat the incident as a hate
      crime and to prosecute the alleged perpetrator to the full extent of
      the law.

      In Michigan, a Muslim father and son report that they were refused
      service at a Meijer store in Fraser, Mich. The store's cashier
      allegedly refused to accept credit card payment for gas, saying, "We
      don't take credit cards…We closed the machines," and shouted, "You
      Arabs get out of here…We don't want to serve you guys…Go back to your
      country…Dirty Arabs." Another customer also joined in the abuse. The
      victims' attorney is considering a lawsuit against Meijer. (There is
      a surveillance camera videotape of the incident.)

      In Illinois, a Glendale Heights Islamic center received a phoned bomb
      threat Tuesday and was burglarized Saturday. The center has called
      for increased police protection and is in the process of installing
      security cameras and window grills. Local FBI agents are working with
      the center on the case.

      "There should be zero tolerance for anti-Muslim bigotry in our
      society. We urge swift apprehension and vigorous prosecution of
      anyone who targets other Americans base on their religion, ethnicity
      or national origin. At this time of crisis, our nation should be
      unified in standing against the forces of division," said CAIR
      Executive Director Nihad Awad. Awad noted that his group recently
      distributed a "Community Safety Kit" to help protect Muslims in North
      America. SEE: http://www.cair-net.org/safetykit He also called on
      President Bush to once again condemn anti-Muslim hate.

      Awad noted that just last week, projectiles were fired at another
      Chicago-area mosque and death threats were made against Muslim
      students at San Jose State University in California. Other anti-
      Muslim incidents were reported to CAIR within the past month.
      Physical assaults against Muslims have been reported in Northern
      California, Southern California, Georgia, New Jersey, and South
      Carolina. One incident in Yorba Linda, Calif., left a Muslim teenager
      badly beaten by a group that allegedly included white supremacists.

      CAIR is America's largest Islamic civil liberties group. It is
      headquartered in Washington, D.C., and has 16 regional offices
      nationwide and in Canada. Since its founding in 1994, CAIR has
      defended the civil and religious rights of all Americans.

      - END -

      CONTACT: CAIR-N. California, Helal Omeira, 408-476-7843; CAIR-LA, 714-
      776-1847; Banafsheh Akhlaghi, attorney in Venice case, 415-553-7100;
      CAIR-Michigan, Haaris Ahmad, 248-569-2203; Majed Moughni, attorney in
      Michigan case, 313-581-0800; CAIR-Chicago, Omar Haydar, 312-922-4720,
      312-735-3662; CAIR-National, Ibrahim Hooper, 202-488-8787 or 202-744-
      7726, E-MAIL: cair@...; Ms. Hodan Hassan, 202-488-8787 or
      202-439-1441, E-MAIL: hhassan@...

      Yahoo ads are not under WVNS control.