CHILD PRISONERS IN PALESTINE AND IRAQ

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2005
      Citizens for Fair Legislation
      For Immediate Release
      August 3, 2005

      ********************************
      CFL ALERT:

      TELL YOUR REPRESENTATIVES TO SPEAK OUT AGAINST THE TREATMENT AND
      ILLEGAL DETENTION OF CHILD PRISONERS IN PALESTINE AND IRAQ.

      SEND OUR PREWRITTEN LETTER NOW:
      http://www.demaction.org/dia/organizations/CFLWeb/campaign.jsp?
      campaign_KEY=1060
      OR, WRITE YOUR OWN:
      *********************************

      TALKING POINTS:
      *Please take a moment to write to your representatives and ask them to
      speak out against the illegal detention of children in Iraq and
      Palestine. Reports on the abuse at Abu Ghraib indicate that the
      Pentagon has proof (photographs and video) that detained Iraqi
      children are being sodomized and raped by American soldiers. In
      Israel, Palestinian children are also being held indiscriminately and
      illegally in violation of international law and human rights law.
      Reports by Israeli human rights organizations indicate that like Iraqi
      children, Palestinian child detainees are regularly tortured and not
      allowed visits by either the Red Cross or their parents.

      * In a report written last year called, `Stolen Youth: The Politics of
      Israel's Detention of Palestinian Children' the authors interviewed a
      teenager who gave the following description of his treatment by the
      Israeli military: "Three more people in masks came into the room.
      They blindfolded me, put a hood over my head... they kicked and
      slapped me. They beat me with a plastic pipe and whatever they could
      get their hands on. I couldn't see anything because I was blindfolded.
      I just felt the blows. That lasted ten to fifteen minutes... Later
      they stood me on a chair and told me to grab a pipe that was fixed to
      the wall. They removed the chair from under me and left me hanging in
      the air, with my handcuffed hands holding onto the pipe and the weight
      of my body, hanging in the air, drawing my hands downwards. They left
      the room." - Ismail Sabatin, 17 years old. Palestinian children being
      held by the Israeli military range between the ages of 9-17 years old,
      many of these children are being held without charges, others have
      been held for months for merely throwing stones at Israeli tanks.
      Tell your representatives that because we give $12 billion dollars in
      American welfare to Israel a year that we have a moral obligation to
      demand that the Israelis end this despicable treatment of Palestinian
      children.

      *Treatment of Iraqi children under the U.S. occupation forces is no
      better. Last week the Pentagon blocked the release of pictures of
      Iraqi children being raped and sodomized by American soldiers as
      publication of those pictures would have been a public relations
      disaster of the U.S. In an expose done by the Sunday Herald late last
      year a child witness of the abuse at Abu Ghraib gave a statement to
      investigators saying that he witnessed the rape of a boy who was 15
      years old: "The kid was hurting very bad and they covered all the
      doors with sheets. Then, when I heard the screaming I climbed the
      door … and I saw [the soldier's name is deleted] who was wearing a
      military uniform." The witness then described in graphic details how
      he witnessed that soldier rape "the little kid".

      *The abuse of children by the United States and by the U.S.'s
      staunchest ally in the Middle East is unacceptable; it's time that we
      held our government accountable for the blatant violations of human
      rights occurring in Iraq and Palestine. Tell your representatives
      that you feel that the illegal detention of Palestinian and Iraqi
      children is deplorable and that as your elected officials you expect
      them to speak out against the cruel treatment of children. Remind
      your elected officials that none of these actions in Iraq or Palestine
      could occur without the tacit approval of the U.S. government.

      EMAIL AND OR CALL THE WHITE HOUSE
      WHITE HOUSE COMMENTS LINE: 202-456-1111
      WHITE HOUSE SWITCHBOARD: 202-456-1414
      WHITE HOUSE FAX: 202-456-2461
      Citizens for Fair Legislation is a grassroots organization committed
      to encouraging a fair domestic and foreign policy with an emphasis on
      the US/Arab world.
      http://www.cflweb.org