THOSE WHO ACCUSE MUSLIMS OF SILENCE AREN'T LISTENING VERY WELL

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2005
      THOSE WHO ACCUSE MUSLIMS OF SILENCE AREN'T LISTENING VERY WELL
      Allie Shah, Star Tribune, 7/31/05

      Where are the moderate Muslims?

      And why aren't they condemning the terrorist attacks in London and the
      Middle East?

      Is their silence a sign of tacit or even overt support for the
      killings? Or is it that they're afraid of retaliation?

      In short, why aren't Muslims speaking out against terrorism?

      Since 9/11, this question in one form or another has been raised by
      non-Muslims on talk radio, where the verbal attacks against Islam and
      Muslims borders on terrorizing, and in letters to the editor and in
      water cooler conversations.

      The better question might be: Why aren't you hearing us?

      To be fair, most of us are doing the same things you all are doing
      this summer: going to school or work, attending weddings, shuttling
      kids to summer camps, and trying to get ahead on our never-ending task
      lists.

      We're living our lives, pursuing the American Dream.

      What are we supposed to do? Drop everything and walk out to the
      nearest street corner with a bullhorn and shout: "I am a Muslim and I
      love America and the West and I abhor and condemn the latest suicide
      bombing in XYZ country that killed X number of people"?

      The fact is that many prominent American Muslim groups have clearly
      and publicly denounced acts of terror in the name of Islam as
      barbaric, heinous and just plain wrong. Though they religiously send
      out press releases and e-mail statements after every attack, somehow
      their message doesn't seem to penetrate.

      On July 7, as the news broke about the horrific bus and subway
      bombings in London that killed 56 people, American Muslim groups
      scrambled to issue statements condemning the attacks and expressing
      sympathy for the victims' families. Some, including the Muslim Public
      Affairs Council based in California and the Council on
      American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) in Washington, D.C., continue to
      post their statements on their websites.

      Full article: