Stranded Pakistanis hunger strike

  • World View <ummyakoub@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2003
      Stranded Pakistanis observe hunger strike

      By Our Correspondent

      DHAKA, Feb 26: Stranded Pakistanis evicted from Dhaka city's Mirpur
      relief camp on Feb 22 staged a token hunger strike here on Wednesday
      morning, demanding immediate rehabilitation.

      "It's a pity that we could not manage to have even a single roof to
      shelter our men till today," said Abdul Jabbar Khan, President of
      the Stranded Pakistanis General Repatriation Committee (SPGRC),
      while addressing the token hunger strikers at Muktangoan in the
      capital city.

      Mr Khan reiterated the allegation that the ADC relief camp, where
      about 3,000 stranded Pakistanis had been living since 1972, was
      demolished in defiance of a high court order. He also alleged that
      the eviction was done without any prior notice.

      The Pakistan high commission in Dhaka says it has "discussed the
      issue with the relevant high officials of the government of
      Bangladesh" and is "expecting a solution soon".

      The authorities of the Dhaka City Corporation and the Housing and
      Public Works Ministry, on Feb 22, razed some 300 thatched houses in
      the 30-year-old camp, rendering some 3,000 people home-less.

      During the eviction, at least 70 people were injured when the slum
      dwellers locked in clashes with police.

      http://www.dawn.com/cgi-bin/dina.pl?file=top10.htm&date=2003022

      Yahoo ads are not under WVNS control.