Retired Colonel Calls NeoCons Traitors

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6 9:05 AM
      Retired lieutenant colonel gives scathing speech on Iraq policy
      By CHRIS BERG
      May 27, 2005
      http://columbiamissourian.com/news/story.php?ID=14057

      What was coined as a discussion on real patriotism sounded more like a
      case for why the Bush administration has failed in foreign policy.

      "I will not stand by and watch an appointed president send our sons
      and daughters around the world to kill terrorists for the oil
      companies," Robert Bowman said.

      The retired lieutenant colonel spoke in front of a group of about 50
      people Thursday evening at Stotler Lounge in MU's Memorial Union.
      Bowman said that he wore his former dress white uniform as a way to
      honor his brothers and sisters in arms for the upcoming Memorial Day
      holiday.

      In his speech Bowman urged the audience to question the federal
      government's justification for going to war in Iraq.

      "Let those of us not called upon to fight in this war give our troops
      what they deserve, the thanks of a grateful people and the promise
      that we will never again allow our representatives in Congress to
      issue a president a blank check to conduct an unnecessary, illegal,
      and unconstitutional war," Bowman said.

      Bowman spoke out against the Pentagon's decision to prohibit
      photographers from taking pictures of dead U.S. soldiers as they are
      transported.

      "Those who give their lives deserve to be honored, not swept under the
      rug," Bowman said.

      Bowman told the audience that the biggest threat to the American way
      of life comes from within the country. He said instead of the battle
      lines being overseas, they were right here at home.

      "The war protesters are the shock troops gathering to preserve our
      freedoms by exercising those freedoms in spite of obvious objections."

      Bowman concluded his speech by saying that patriotism means supporting
      the withdrawal of troops from Iraq and other nations all over the
      world. The military veteran also called for an overhaul in Washington.

      "It is time for George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld and the
      whole political mafia to be removed from office and indicted with
      treason," he said.