Farrakhan delegation to Guantanamo

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2005
      Farrakhan calls for delegation to be sent to Guantanamo
      By NOI.org
      May 25, 2005, 02:30 pm Refer this article
      http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/article_2013.shtml

      CHICAGO, IL (FinalCall.com) - Nation of Islam leader, Minister Louis
      Farrakhan held a news conference in Chicago, IL. on May 25, 2005 in
      response to reports of abuse at the Guantanamo detention facility. He
      called on the U.S. Government to allow a delegation of religions and
      political leaders to visit Guantanamo detention facility.

      The following is the press statement released by the Nation of Islam.
      For the complete news conference including questions and answers from
      the press, logon to: http://www.finalcall.com/webcast/05-25-2005 to
      view the audio/video webcast.

      IN THE NAME OF ALLAH, THE BENEFICENT, THE MERCIFUL.
      PRESS STATEMENT

      By the Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan
      Delivered at Mosque Maryam

      Click here for audio/video webcast
      including Questions & Answers from the Press
      http://www.finalcall.com/webcast/05-25-2005

      The recent furor allegedly created by a Newsweek article that stated
      that the Holy Book of the Muslims, The Qur'an, was flushed in a toilet
      and that this was responsible for the demonstrations and, riots that
      have taken place in many parts of the Muslim World is at best only
      partly true.

      The article in and of itself was a trigger, but the real truth is that
      the detainees who have left Abu Ghraib Prison in Iraq and Guantanamo
      Base in Cuba and other facilities have complained that American and
      British soldiers and other Foreign Nationals have been grossly
      disrespectful and filled with hatred for Islam, Muslims, Prophet
      Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him) and the Holy Qur'an.

      The hatred of the American government in the Arab and Muslim World is
      not only due to an article in Newsweek magazine, but it is the
      policies of the Government of the United States that have also
      incensed the whole Arab and Muslim World.

      Although Newsweek magazine is backing down from the story that it
      published due to tremendous governmental pressure, the truth still
      remains that there is gross disrespect of the culture and way of life
      that Muslims strive to follow as guided by the Holy Qur'an and the
      example of Prophet Muhammad Ibn Abdullah (Peace Be Upon Him).

      Currently, this anti-Muslim behavior has its roots high up in the
      Government of the United States of America and is being preached from
      various pulpits by certain highly influential Christian leaders.

      We have seen and heard, from the time of 9/11, many respected
      Christian leaders saying that Islam is a religion of violence and
      hatred; that the Religion of Islam sees Christians and Jews as
      infidels and teaches that they should be killed; and that the God of
      Islam or the God of Muslims is the devil. This has created an
      atmosphere of hatred, fanned by the media, that causes Muslims to be
      persecuted as we move about doing our daily work, pursuing our careers
      or just being normal citizens who believe in the Religion of Islam.

      Members of the Muslim community in America are some of the most
      law-abiding, well-behaved citizens in this country. Muslim scholars
      have added much to academia, medicine, science and technology,
      business, banking, paying into the tax structure and into this
      economy, while at the same time suffering injustice and abuse, trying
      to travel in the country or out of it, being harassed when returning.

      Many Muslims who support the Intifadah (uprising of the Palestinian
      youth), Hamas or organizations that see themselves as fighting against
      the illegal occupation of land and territory because of the power of
      the Government of the United States are labeled as terrorists. Muslims
      who give charity to these organizations are prosecuted, persecuted and
      are now being sent to prison or deported. This gross injustice must
      not, and will not, be tolerated.

      The disrespect of the Holy Qur'an, a Book believed in by 1,600,000,000
      Muslims, is unacceptable. In truth, however, there are many Muslims
      who will not read the Bible and have shown disrespect for the
      scriptures of the Bible. When we disrespect what Allah (God) has
      revealed through His Prophets, we are also being disrespectful of the
      people who believe in that scripture.

      This is why, in today's context, the work of the Messiah is so
      important. In the Qur'an, Allah (God) says that the Messiah will be
      taught Al-Kitab (The Book)—Qur'an, and he will be taught the wisdom,
      the Torah, and the Gospel, or the Injil.

      Why would the Messiah be taught the wisdom of the Qur'an, the Torah
      and the Injil? It must be because His Mission is the unification of
      all of the children of Abraham—Muslims, Christians and Jews. Each
      Book, the Torah, Injil and Qur'an, were revealed for the elevation of
      human beings that we may, by following such Guidance, reclaim the
      original position that the Creator intended for human beings.

      From the Biblical point of view, that position is to be a reflection
      of the Creator and to rule His Creation by His Guidance and Permission.

      From the Qur'anic point of view, the original position is to be
      Khalifah, or one who stands in the place of Allah (God) to rule His
      Creation also by His Guidance and Permission.

      So, should not the human being for whom these Books are revealed be
      looked upon as equal in importance, or even more important, than the
      Books revealed for our evolutionary development?

      The Qur'an that is being flushed in a toilet has no feeling. The
      Qur'an that is urinated upon has no feeling. Nothing that anyone does
      to the Qur'an—sitting on it, standing on it, kicking it—diminishes the
      Power of the Word contained in this Book to transform human life. This
      manifests gross ignorance, contempt and hatred of those who do these
      acts for a Book that was revealed for the elevation of all human
      beings. Should we rise up because of the desecration and disrespect of
      the Qur'an? Yes, but we should rise up even more so when we see the
      persecution of those who believe in the Book because they have
      feelings and it is they who can feel torture and pain, and not the
      disrespect of this Holy Book, and it was for them for whom the Book
      was revealed.

      For the Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld, and the Secretary of
      State, Condoleezza Rice, to say, "How terrible was the article in
      Newsweek, which they say was false, that led to the killing of 17
      persons and the wounding of hundreds more." But how much more heinous
      and evil was it to drop bombs on the Muslim and Christian populations
      of Iraqi and Afghanistan; to kill tens of thousands of Iraqis and
      Afghans; to wound hundreds of thousands of Iraqis and Afghans; to kill
      nearly 1,700 Americans; and wound thousands of American soldiers—all
      on the basis of a lie? Which is worse, what Newsweek did or what the
      Government of the United States did?

      Yes, we are insulted when the Qur'an is disrespected but, as followers
      of the Honorable Elijah Muhammad, we are equally insulted when the
      Bible or Torah is disrespected. All of us who love Allah (God) and
      what is revealed are insulted when any Divine Revelation is spat upon
      and desecrated, but what is even more horrible is to see the slaughter
      of human beings over words in a Book that cannot express feelings and
      pain.

      Even if the Newsweek article is retracted, the Red Cross, Human Rights
      Watch, Doctors without Borders and other organizations have issued
      similar reports, which have been ignored. So, as Muslims, we say
      enough is enough. We are mobilizing Arab and Muslim countries to say
      to the Government of the United States: "If these Muslims are guilty,
      then charge and try them, but to hold them for years without a charge
      is inhumane and unjust. We, in the Muslim Ummah, cannot tolerate this.
      We are asking that you try them and, if you have no charge, let them
      go to their people or their homes."

      To stop this furor, we are asking the Government of the United States
      to allow a delegation of Muslims, Christians, Hebrews and Jews, led by
      members of the United States Congress, to visit the Guantanamo Base
      detention facility and speak to some of the detainees. Should we find
      that these allegations are true, then the Government must take steps
      to correct this, so that America's image in the world will not be
      further sullied, and the repair of damaged relationships can begin.

      © Copyright 2005 FCN Publishing, FinalCall.com