Iraq Eyewitness Reports

    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2005
      Iraq Through the Eyes of Unemebedded, Independent Journalist
      Dahr Jamail
      Democracy Now!
      www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/28/1346252

      Dahr Jamail, one of the few independent, unembedded journalists
      reporting in Iraq for months, joins us in our firehouse studio to
      discuss the siege of Fallujah, detention of Iraqis, so-called
      "reconstruction" and much more. [includes rush transcript]

      One of the most enduring images of the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse
      scandal is the photograph of a prisoner cloaked in black, standing on
      a box with wires attached to his outstretched arms.
      Now, the man depicted in the photo has reportedly been identified. He
      is speaking out on this week's edition of the PBS newsmagazine "Now."
      His name is Haj Ali. He was a mayor of a Baghdad suburb and a member
      of the ruling Baath Party, when he was snatched off the street in late
      2003 and transported to Abu Ghraib, despite denying involvement in the
      insurgency.

      In the interview, Ali says, "They made me stand on a box with my hands
      hooked to wires and shocked me with electricity. It felt like my
      eyeballs were coming out of their sockets. I fell, and they put me
      back up again for more."

      Today is the first anniversary of the publication of the Abu Ghraib
      prisoner abuse scandal. We turn now to Iraq.

      We turn now to Iraq. An article in the British newspaper the Guardian
      titled "This Is Our Guernica" reads:

      "In the 1930s the Spanish city of Guernica became a symbol of wanton
      murder and destruction. In the 1990s Grozny was cruelly flattened by
      the Russians; it still lies in ruins. This decade"s unforgettable
      monument to brutality and overkill is Falluja, a text-book case of how
      not to handle an insurgency, and a reminder that unpopular occupations
      will always degenerate into desperation and atrocity."

      Those are the words of journalist Dahr Jamil. He spent many months in
      Iraq as one of the only independent, unembedded journalists there. He
      published his reports on a blog called DahrJamailIraq.com and was a
      regular guest on Democracy Now! He joins us in our firehouse studio today.

      RUSH TRANSCRIPT

      AMY GOODMAN: Welcome to Democracy Now!

      DAHR JAMAIL: Thanks, Amy.

      AMY GOODMAN: It's very good to have you with us. Can you talk more
      about this image of the Guernica, and what Iraq and specifically
      Fallujah has meant?

      DAHR JAMAIL: Fallujah, which was the symbol of the resistance in Iraq
      to the U.S. occupation and throughout the Middle East at that point is
      now 70% estimated to be bombed to the ground, no water, no
      electricity. People who want to go back into that city have to get
      retina scans, all ten fingers fingerprinted, then they're issued an ID
      card. People inside the city are referring to it as a big jail. It is
      a horrendous situation, and we still have hundreds of thousands of
      refugees as a result. And the goal of the mission of sieging Fallujah
      as announced by the U.S. military was to capture the phantom Zarqawi
      and to bring security and stability for the elections, and what's left
      is a situation where Fallujah is in shambles, and the resistance has
      spread throughout the country.

      AMY GOODMAN: Who is doing the retina scans, the fingerprinting?

      DAHR JAMAIL: The U.S. military is doing all of this.

      AMY GOODMAN:: And how many people are kept out of Fallujah now? How
      many people actually live there? How many were there to begin with?

      DAHR JAMAIL: The latest estimate is of a city of 350,000 people, that
      50,000 now have returned back inside the city.

      AMY GOODMAN: And what's happened? Where have the others gone?

      DAHR JAMAIL: They are still in refugee camps. There are refugee camps
      all around the outskirts of Fallujah, throughout many areas of
      Baghdad, even parts of Iraq south of the capital city. They are living
      in, of course, horrible conditions. There's running water at some of
      these refugee camps, none at others. No electricity. They are
      depending primarily on other Iraqis for aid, which is a very difficult
      situation, because now we have an estimated 65% unemployment in Iraq.
      Basic infrastructure remains in shambles. And this is a community then
      that is trying to support over 300,000 refugees at this point.

      AMY GOODMAN:: Now that you have come back, what is the contrast or the
      difference between what you learn about Iraq when you are here versus
      when you are there on the ground?

      DAHR JAMAIL: Well, watching the corporate media back here, I see the
      disparity between that and what's actually happening on the ground
      continue to grow. If we look at corporate media, we're led to believe
      that after the January 30 elections, things are better in Iraq. We
      have a democracy there. Yes, it's -- there's still a little chaos, but
      things are getting better, but that is not the facts at all when we
      look at just the numbers. We have still an average of over a soldier a
      day dying, ten times that number wounded, infrastructure in shambles,
      and things continue to get worse. At least a car bomb a day in Baghdad
      and insecurity throughout most of the rest of the country.

      AMY GOODMAN: We're talking to Dahr Jamail, unembedded reporter in
      Iraq, now back in the United States. We'll come back to talk with him
      in a minute.

      [break]

      AMY GOODMAN:Our guest in studio, Dahr Jamail, who runs the blog,
      DahrJamailIraq.com, just returned from Iraq, was there for eight
      months and reported to us on a somewhat regular basis. You are talking
      about Fallujah. What about the use of chemical weapons there? Last
      November, you reported the U.S. military has used poison gas and other
      non-conventional weapons against civilians in Fallujah. How do you
      know this?

      DAHR JAMAIL: Many of the refugees I interviewed throughout November,
      just after the beginning of the siege, and then people who had been
      coming out of the city even into December, continued to report the use
      of chemical weapons in Fallujah, but really, one of the most important
      sources I have for this is an Iraqi doctor that I interviewed on the
      outskirts of Fallujah, and he said that he had worked as a medic
      during the Iran-Iraq War, he had treated Iraqi soldiers who had been
      hit with Iranian chemical weapons, so he knew what these types of
      injuries look like. And he said that he had treated people from
      Fallujah with the same types of injuries, as well as another Iraqi man
      that I had interviewed who went into the city, brought in by U.S.
      soldiers to help bury bodies, and that he had seen many bodies that he
      believed to have been hit by chemical weapons.

      AMY GOODMAN: On March 3, Dr. Khalid ash-Shaykhli of the Iraqi Health
      Ministry held a news conference accusing the U.S. of using
      internationally banned chemical weapons, including nerve gas, during
      the assault. Do you have any more information on that?

      DAHR JAMAIL: That report, actually, yes, I have read that and am aware
      of that. And it's just further confirmation of the fact that the --
      another, related to that what the doctor said that I had interviewed
      was that he was willing to go in and try to dig up some of these
      bodies that they were forced to bury by the U.S. military there in
      Fallujah, because he said that he is 100% certain that these types of
      weapons had been used, and he, among so many other people inside the
      city, are pleading for an international investigation of the types of
      these -- of what illegal weapons were used there, because they are
      absolutely certain they were chemical weapons, cluster bombs,
      fleshettes, types of napalm and various other weapons, as well.

      AMY GOODMAN: Dahr, on your blog, you continually talked about everyday
      Iraqis and the kind of obstacles they faced, what it was like just to
      live there. Give us that full picture that we so rarely can get.

      DAHR JAMAIL: Well, the situation in Iraq is devastating. It's
      difficult to be there and see it day in and day out where there's no
      security whatsoever. There's complete lawlessness in the capital city
      and most other cities. The situation in the hospitals is an ongoing
      health care crisis. They're lacking medicines and basic supplies and
      things they need. Then we have the refugee situation where people are
      all over the city, hundreds of families in various places, trying to
      survive. It's really quite -- it's the ongoing refugee situation we
      have that -- over 300,000 there. We have rampant fuel crisis going on
      where people are waiting one, sometimes two days, to fill the tanks of
      their cars. We have the military responding to the security situation
      by closing various streets in Baghdad. At least 100 streets are now
      closed in the capital city to try to bring some sort of order to the
      situation. Gas lines stretching sometimes between six and ten miles.
      People waiting between one and two days to fill the tanks of their
      cars. Gasoline is being rationed. Even plates one day, odd the next.
      People are allowed seven-and-a-half gallons when they fill their
      tanks. Electricity in the better parts of Baghdad is about eight
      hours. In most places, including up in the north in the Kurdistan
      region, we have three hours or less of electricity per day and
      infrastructure is in worse shape in all of the main areas than it was
      prior to the invasion.

      AMY GOODMAN:: We spoke with Giuliani Sgrena the other day, who was
      kidnapped in Iraq, and then ultimately as she was getting out, the
      U.S. military opened fire on her car, killing the Italian intelligence
      official who helped to get her out and wounding her. But just the
      danger every day of reporting unembedded for month after month, how
      did you do it?

      DAHR JAMAIL: Well, the level of anxiety is extremely high. And I would
      do my best to fit in. I felt that no security was my security, and
      growing a beard and going out, varying the times I go out, and not
      advertising the fact that I am an American. And it is a very stressful
      situation, but if you are going to work in Iraq as a journalist, you
      have to leave your hotel, if you are going to do your job. So, it's an
      accepted risk by myself and other colleagues I know who preferred to
      operate that way, rather than staying in their hotels or just going to
      military press conferences or embedding with the military.

      AMY GOODMAN: On this anniversary of the release of the photos, the
      Pentagon had had them for months before of the abuse of prisoners at
      Abu Ghraib, what was the effect of those photos in Iraq?

      DAHR JAMAIL: Well, everyone in Iraq already knew that this sort of
      treatment was happening, from almost the beginning of the occupation
      and not just in Abu Ghraib, but in military detention facilities
      throughout the country. These reports had been coming in for months.
      People were very well aware of the fact that there was sexual abuse,
      physical violence, death, rape, this sort of a thing happening from
      the beginning. But when those photos came out, this confirmation and
      having it broadcast to the world just confirmed all of these beliefs
      by Iraqis, and it really demolished what credibility may have been
      left at that point for the occupation forces. That credibility was
      shattered with these photographs. And I want to be real clear that
      this situation is ongoing. It's not stopped. Just because the
      corporate media decided to show these photos and really talk about
      this story for a while, then they decide that, well, there's a few
      soldiers that are held responsible. Let's try the bad apples, and this
      is going to put the lid back on the situation. But that has not
      changed the fact that the number of prisoners in Iraq is increasing.
      It has increased dramatically in the last few months. And the type of
      treatment going on in the prisons is exactly the same as it was when
      those photos were released.

      AMY GOODMAN: And where are the prisoners held, when you talk about the
      other detention facilities?

      DAHR JAMAIL: At so many of the military detention -- military bases,
      there are detention facilities. For example, at Baghdad Airport,
      there's a large detention facility there. Iraqis in Baghdad call it
      Guantanamo Airport. Many other military installations such as one up
      near Tikrit, I know specifically that has a good sized detention
      facility. But they're really spread all around Iraq, even in many
      parts in the south.

      AMY GOODMAN: We're talking to Dahr Jamail. And he is just back from
      Iraq. There's some interesting news today. Downing Street has
      published the Attorney General's full advice on the legality of the
      Iraq war after part of it was leaked to the media. In the March 7,
      2003, documents -- that was just before the invasion -- Lord Goldsmith
      told Tony Blair, a second U.N. resolution was the safest legal course.
      Ten days later his advice to Parliament raised no such concerns about
      legality. Michael Howard suggested M.P.s had been tricked into voting
      for war. Charles Kennedy urged Blair to come clean. Blair defended his
      actions. In the advice Lord Goldsmith warned there were a number of
      ways in which opponents of war could bring legal action. “We cannot
      be certain they would not succeed,” he said. “Adding a second
      resolution might be the way of preventing such legal action
      succeeding.” Lord Goldsmith continued, “Finally, I must stress
      that the lawfulness of military action depends not only on the
      existence of a legal basis, but also on the question of
      proportionality.” He added, “It must be proportionate to the
      objective of securing compliance with Iraq's disarmament.” That, a
      report from the B.B.C. today. Your response?

      DAHR JAMAIL: Well, it's almost a moot point at this point, because it
      couldn't be any clearer that this invasion of Iraq and ensuing
      occupation have really nothing to do, at least if we go by Bush
      administration standards, nothing to do with what is legal, what is
      right, what is best for Iraqis, and certainly not what is best for
      this country. So, there are no weapons of mass destruction. There's no
      links with al Qaeda. There's no terrorist training camps there,
      anything like this. And now we have this ongoing occupation with no
      end in sight. 14 permanent U.S. military bases there. Four done, ten
      more in the works. More money just sailed through the government to
      fund that. So, what is the point of even talking about legality at
      this point? It's very, very clear that this situation, and the Bush
      administration perpetuation of it has -- they really are not concerned
      with what's legal and what's right.

      AMY GOODMAN: We're talking to Dahr Jamail, just back from Iraq. What
      about the elections? What effect did they have on Iraqis? And you're
      talking about the situation being very bad right now. Did the
      elections improve anything, and do you hold out any hope now that this
      government is being constituted?

      DAHR JAMAIL: I certainly want the situation in Iraq to improve in any
      way possible, because the devastation there is everywhere. It's really
      unbearable for Iraqis today, and certainly hope that the elections
      would bring about some sort of improvement, but to date, they have
      not. They only just very recently actually filled the cabinet
      position, so it took them 12 weeks to actually form a government. Now
      they have well under a year to attempt to agree and author a
      constitution. But the bottom line, I think, how do we judge if the
      elections were a success? Not by something -- the fact that something
      resembling elections occurred in Iraq, but rather, have they improved
      the life of Iraqis and brought about better security, bought about a
      solution to the gas crisis, bought about some solution to the 65%
      unemployment rate? Things like this, and to date, they have not. To
      date, they have -- situations on the ground just continue to
      deteriorate, a little by little, each passing day.

      AMY GOODMAN: We have the Joint Chiefs of Staff Chair, General Richard
      Myers saying, in terms of incidents, it's right about where it was a
      year ago, talking about the ability of the Iraqi resistance to wage
      attacks not diminishing over the past year. The U.S. reporting the
      number had decreased shortly before the election, but recent weeks
      have seen a surge in violence. Who is the resistance right now?

      DAHR JAMAIL: Right now, the resistance is so many groups. It's really
      not the best thing to talk about it as one entity. It's really
      comprised of so many different groups. It definitely started out as
      mostly ex-military, Bremer essentially created the resistance when he
      disbanded the military and Ba'athists. But at this point it, it's more
      and more average Iraqis, people who have had family members killed and
      humiliated by occupation forces. It's not 100% Sunni. There are now
      some Shia members in it. And as far as foreign fighters, it's a very,
      very low percentage of those who are actually involved within the
      resistance.

      AMY GOODMAN: Last week we had a debate between Naomi Klein and Erik
      Gustafson who was an Iraq war vet from ten years ago, Naomi Klein, the
      well-known author, writer, journalist, about whether the troops should
      withdraw immediately the U.S. troops, the so-called coalition troops.
      What effect do you think that would have?

      DAHR JAMAIL: I think it would begin a process of Iraq becoming a truly
      sovereign nation. I think it would bring lesser casualties to the
      Iraqi people, because the U.S. military is the leading cause of death
      and suffering right now in Iraq. The majority of the deaths in Iraq
      under the occupation are at the hands of the U.S. military, primarily
      by U.S. warplanes dropping bombs on people's homes and neighborhoods.
      So, that would stop. That would help the situation on the ground. That
      would bring greater stability to the situation there. There would
      certainly be chaos. It would certainly -- the instability would
      continue, but I think talk of the U.S. pullout can’t occur without
      including the fact that all of the contracts on the ground there for
      the reconstruction would have to be reopened to bidding, giving Iraqi
      concerns first priority. They know how to rebuild their country. They
      have already done this. And they're not being allowed to do so at this
      time. And then, of course, full compensation paid to Iraqis who have
      suffered during the occupation.

      AMY GOODMAN: Do people have a sense that that will happen?

      DAHR JAMAIL: No. People are -- it's quite clear at this point, because
      people who voted that I interviewed did vote because they felt it was
      going to bring about an end to the occupation. And it's very clear at
      this point especially that this government has no intention of forcing
      the U.S. to put a timetable for withdrawal, so really it still looks
      as though there's no end in sight.

      AMY GOODMAN: Do you plan, Dahr, to return to Iraq?

      DAHR JAMAIL: I do plan to return. I am not entirely certain exactly as
      to when, but I will go back.

      AMY GOODMAN: Well, I want to thank you very much for joining us, as
      people follow the news now, from here in the United States. This
      weekend, May 1, there are also going to be a number of protests moving
      in on the 60th anniversary of the dropping of the bombs in Hiroshima,
      protesting war in New York in Central Park. There's going to be a
      march from the U.N. to Central Park. What do you think it's important
      for people to understand?

      DAHR JAMAIL: That this administration has no intention of withdrawing
      from Iraq, and the only way that this is going to happen is if they
      are forced to withdraw, because they're certainly not going to do it
      on their own volition.

      AMY GOODMAN: Dahr Jamail, just back from Iraq. His website is
      DahrJamailIraq.com < http://www.dahrjamailiraq.com/ >. And we will
      also link to it at democracynow.org. And you spell it
      DahrJamailIraq.com, since so many people call and write to us and ask,
      "How do we find that site?" Thank you.

      DAHR JAMAIL: Thank you. Amy.

      To purchase an audio or video copy of this entire program, click here
      for our new online ordering:
      https://store.democracynow.org/?pid=10&show=2005-04-28
      or call 1 (800) 881-2359.

      ===

      Iraqi Resistance Report for events of Sunday, 1 May 2005
      Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial
      board, the Free Arab Voice. http://www.freearabvoice.org

      iraqwar.mirror-world.ru/article/48556

      Al-Anbar Province.

      Al-Qa'im.

      Seventeen Americans killed in Saturday night fighting in al-Qa’im,
      puppet spokesman admits.

      Fighting that broke out Saturday night in al-Qa'im between Iraqi
      Resistance forces and US occupation troops in the city on the Syrian
      border left 17 US troops dead and five more wounded.

      The correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam in the city reported informed
      sources in the Iraqi puppet military as saying that the fighting also
      left three US Humvees destroyed and two Bradley armored vehicles disabled.

      The correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam in al-Qa'im met with
      Lieutenant Colonel Hamzah al-Jawwari of the joint operations command
      in the city who confirmed the casualty toll of 17 Americans dead and
      five more wounded in addition to the vehicles destroyed.

      The Lieutenant Colonel also claimed that the US forces had taken 21
      Resistance fighters prisoner and killed more than 25 Resistance
      fighters in the combat itself that lasted from about 9pm Saturday
      night until midnight.

      But the Resistance denied those claims of the puppet spokesman, saying
      that it had killed more than 17 US troops and wounded dozens more,
      while mosques in the city observed mourning for five members of the
      Resistance, one of them a fraternal Arab fighter, a youth with Yemeni
      citizenship.

      For its part the Resistance organization, the Base Qa‘idah of the
      Jihad in the Land of the Two Rivers, which is led by Jordanian Islamic
      militant Abu Mus'ab az-Zarqawi, issued a communique on Sunday, a copy
      of which was obtained by the correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam, in
      which it said that its fighters had attained their objectives in the
      fighting Saturday night, and threatened that the battle was only the
      beginning o the end of the US occupation of Iraq.

      Ar-Ramadi.

      Resistance kills 21 US troops, shoots down Apache helicopter in
      Saturday night fighting dubbed the Battle of the Free People of Iraq.

      In the course of fighting that raged in ar-Ramadi on Saturday night
      between US aggressor troops and the Iraqi Resistance, Resistance
      forces shot down one US Apache helicopter over the city.

      The Mafkarat al-Islam correspondent reported sources in the Iraqi
      Resistance as saying that they fired a Strela rocket that struck the
      helicopter directly and blew it up in the air.

      Other fighting in the city left more than 21 US troops dead and
      destroyed a US armored vehicle and two Humvees, according to the same
      sources.

      Meanwhile, ar-Ramadi Mosque at the dawn prayer announced over its
      loudspeakers that three members of the Iraqi Resistance had been
      martyred in fighting Saturday to the south of the city.

      For its part the First Army of Muhammad Resistance organization issued
      a communique, a copy of which was obtained by the Mafkarat al-Islam
      correspondent, in which the group took responsibility for the shooting
      down of the US helicopter and the fighting on Saturday which the
      organization called the "Battle of the Free People of Iraq."

      Al-Khalidiyah.

      Resistance sharpshooter kills US Marine in al-Khalidiyah Sunday morning.

      An Iraqi Resistance sharpshooter killed one US soldier in
      al-Khalidiyah, west of al-Fallujah on Sunday morning. The
      correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam in al-Khalidiyah reported an
      official source in the puppet police as saying that one American
      Marine had been killed by a sharpshooter's bullet. The sharpshooter
      had been positioned atop a high building in the city where he fired a
      shot that struck the American Marine in the temple, killing him instantly.

      For its part, the US military admitted the attack in a communique
      issued on Sunday morning.

      Al-Habbaniyah.

      Resistance bombards US al-Habbaniyah base Sunday afternoon.

      Iraqi Resistance forces pounded the US base - called "as-Saqr the
      Falcon Base" in al-Habbaniyah with six mortar shells at 3pm Sunday
      afternoon local time. Residents of the nearby al-Fallahat area who
      witnessed the attack said that six explosions shook the area and sent
      plumes of smoke rising over the facility. Afterwards, helicopters were
      seen flying at low altitude over the base and the vicinity, searching
      for the Resistance attackers, but with no success.

      Al-Haqlaniyah.

      Situation deteriorates after US siege for one week cuts off water,
      food, electricity from population.

      US forces backed by puppet so-called "Iraqi national guards" continue
      to blockade the town of al-Haqlaniyah in al-Anbar Province where they
      have been now for one week, according to a report by a Mafkarat
      al-Islam correspondent in Iraq.

      Witnesses report that the humanitarian and sanitary situation in the
      city is badly deteriorating, as western and Iraqi puppet media ignore
      the situation and keep silent.

      Witnesses said that the US forces deliberately have cut off all
      electricity and water supplies from the encircled town, and have
      prevented the residents from entering or leaving. Movement inside the
      town has stopped and the markets closed down, further preventing the
      supply of food to the population. Occupation forces and their stooges
      closed shops, wrecked their contents, and stole money and valuables.

      Witnesses report that the health situation is bad as people cannot get
      out to hospitals except with great difficulty. Schools have closed
      even though it is final exam time for the end of the year.

      The residents say that the occupation troops even invaded the mosques
      where they smashed doors and wrecked the contents in addition to
      violating their sanctity. Many residents have also been arrested in a
      campaign of searches and raids carried out by the Americans and their
      puppets.

      Al-Karmah.

      US siege of al-Karmah in second day.

      US occupation forces imposed a total blockade on the town of
      al-Karmah, west of Baghdad on Saturday, 30 April closing all entrances
      and exits. Since then no one had been allowed in or out â€" other than
      the US aggressor troops how have launched a broad campaign of raids
      throughout all the city's neighborhoods.

      A correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam in Iraq reported witnesses from
      the city as saying that it has become extremely difficult to move
      about, since the city is cut off from the outside world by a large
      deployment of US forces along all major arteries. The city's daily
      life has been paralyzed and residents find themselves in an unenviable
      situation.

      The US siege of al-Krmah is part of a series of campaigns of
      lock-downs and raids that the US has launched in many places in the
      country, including al-Haqlaniyah and Abu Ghurayb.

      Baghdad.

      Resistance car bomber kills 11 US troops in base in ar-Rustamiyah in
      Baghdad early Sunday.

      An Iraqi Resistance martyrdom fighter drove an explosives-laden car
      into a US base in ar-Rustamiyah, south of Baghdad at about 7am local
      time Sunday morning.

      The correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam who arrived on the scene
      shortly thereafter said that sources in the puppet police and Iraqi
      puppet army said that the Resistance fighter stormed through the main
      gate of the American base, set up in what was the Iraqi Military
      Academy before the American occupation. The attacker drove towards a
      grouop of US soldiers and detonated his vehicle among them despite the
      heavy gunfire that they directed at his onrushing car.

      The Iraqi puppet security sources told Mafkarat al-Islam that the
      result of the bombing was that 11 US troops were killed and a number
      more were wounded.

      Resistance organization proclaims start of new campaign in Iraq.

      The Resistance organization, the Base Qa'idah of the Jihad in the Land
      of the Two Rivers issued a communique saying that what it called the
      Battles of the Martyr Muhammad Jasim Abu al-Harith al-'Isawi had
      begun. The correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam in Baghdad obtained a
      copy of the communique, which was posted on mosque doors in the
      occupied Iraqi capital and in other provinces, indicating that the
      group, led by Jordanian Islamic activist Abu Mus'ab az-Zarqawi had
      distributed it very widely.

      The communique called on Iraqi civilians to stay away from American
      forces and military columns, and also to steer clear of gatherings of
      Iraqi puppet so-called "national guards"

      The communique praised the organization's Resistance fighters and said
      that "yesterday there were the battles of the Martyr, the Lion of the
      Land of the Two Rivers Abu Anas ash-Shami, then the commander and
      martyr by the grace of God the Exalted, Umar Hadid, and today we
      declare the start of the battles of the Lion of the Oneness of God,
      Abu al-Harith al-'Isawi in all regions of Iraq. And we will wage our
      battles until the cross disappears from the land of Iraq."

      The correspondent reported that Iraqi puppet security forces and the
      US occupation troops issued a general call to arms after finding
      copies of that communique throughout the country. The Americans and
      their stooges have therefore deployed throughout the streets and lanes
      of Baghdad and other cities in occupied Iraq.

      Resistance martyrdom car bomber kills nine US troops Sunday morning in
      ad-Durah.

      In a dispatch posted at 10:45am Sunday morning Mecca time Mafkarat
      al-Islam reported that a short while before an Iraqi Resistance car
      bomb exploded by a column of US Humvees at the western entrance to the
      southern Baghdad suburb of ad-Durah. The correspondent in ad-Durah
      reported witnesses as saying that the blast destroyed two Humvees and
      killed nine US troops instantly.

      The correspondent received confirmation of that report from a first
      lieutenant in the puppet police of ad-Durah - who asked not to be
      identified.

      The Resistance organization the Base Qa'idah of the Jihad in the Land
      of the Two Rivers announced its responsibility for the attack that
      took place at 9am Sunday morning, local time. The communique said that
      a Resistance martyrdom fighter drove an explosives-packed car into the
      US column sowing death and destruction among the invaders.

      Resistance car bomb kills four US troops in Abu Ghurayb.

      In a dispatch posted at 1:45pm Mecca time Sunday afternoon, the
      correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam in Abu Ghurayb reported that four
      US troops were killed and two more wounded when an Iraqi Resistance
      car bomb exploded at 1pm, local time by a passing column of American
      soldiers.

      Witnesses told the correspondent that the car bomb was parked by the
      side of the old road that links Abu Ghurayb with al-Fallujah and that
      it explodes when a column of five armored vehicles and two Humvees was
      passing, destroying one armored vehicle.

      Board of Muslim "Ulama" denounces puppet police murder of Sunni Shaykh
      in Diyala Province on Friday.

      The Board of Muslim "Ulama", the highest religious authority for Sunni
      Muslims in Iraq issued a statement denouncing the Iraqi puppet police
      for assassinating Shaykh 'Abd ar-Razzaq Rashid ad-Dulaymi in Diyala
      Province on Friday.

      Mafkarat al-Islam reported witnesses as saying that on Friday, the
      puppet police had encircled the al-Aqsa Mosque in the al-Katun area of
      the province where he was the imam and preacher. Shaykh ad-Dulaymi
      entered, delivered the sermon and led the congregational prayer
      service, undeterred by the fact that the mosque had been surrounded by
      security men and that there were spies among the congregation as well.

      When the service ended the heavily armed security forces rushed the
      mosque, but Shaykh ad-Dulaymi came out to them, and addressed them,
      saying, "If you want to take me, then come and get me." Thus
      challenged, the security forces fell back. A short while later,
      however, fearful that the security forces might attack and kill and
      wound the worshippers still inside the mosque, the Shaykh went out to
      the security forces to turn himself over to them to prevent them from
      harming or killing any of the worshippers. When he got close to one of
      their cars, the puppet security men opened fire on him.

      The correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam reported that numerous
      eyewitnesses said that the puppet police fired on the Shaykh again and
      he fell to the ground unconscious. Afterwards, the puppet security
      forces tried to claim that the Shaykh had killed himself.

      In its statement, issued Saturday, the Board of Muslim "Ulama" said
      that the puppet police had killed Shaykh ad-Dulaymi and then falsely
      claimed that he had killed himself. The Board noted that this latest
      police murder appeared to open a new page in dangerous excesses and
      violations of the rights and freedom of the Iraqi people. The Board
      held the puppet regime responsible for the killing and for the abuse
      and torture inflicted on prisoners in the occupied country's prisons.

      Babil Province.

      Al-Yusufiyah.

      "Dozens" of US dead and wounded in lethal Resistance rocket attack on
      US base early Sunday.

      Iraqi Resistance forces bombarded the US base in al-Yusufiyah, south
      of Baghdad, Sunday morning. The American base occupies what were
      previously storage areas of the Iraqi Army prior to the US invasion of
      the country.

      The correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam in al-Yusufiyah reported
      witnesses as saying that at 5:30am Sunday morning the Resistance fired
      more than 16 rockets into the US base, inflicting great damage inside
      the facility.

      Captain Karim Khamis of the puppet army who works on the base said
      that the attack inflicted heavy casualties of "dozens" of Americans.

      "We entered the base," he told Mafkarat al-Islam, "after receiving
      orders from the puppet "ministry of defense" to see the extent of the
      casualties and to render assistance. We found that there had been
      great destruction and there were dozens of dead and wounded."

      The buildings inside the base that were destroyed in the Resistance
      rocket attack were high enough so that local residents could see them
      behind the walls of the facility. But after the attack, most parts of
      those buildings had been destroyed.

      In his dispatch posted at 10:11am Sunday morning Mecca time the
      correspondent reported that US forces were still lifting rubble and
      digging out bodies of troops who appeared to have been killed in their
      sleep during the bombardment.

      Al-Mahmudiyah.

      Resistance martyrdom car bomber kills six US troops in al-Mahmudiyah
      Sunday afternoon.

      An Iraqi Resistance martyrdom fighter drove an explosives-packed Honda
      car into a column of six US personnel carriers on the highway in
      al-Mahmudiyah, southeast of Baghdad at 4pm local time Sunday
      afternoon. Residents of the city told Mafkarat al-Islam that the car
      accelerated to high speed and slammed into the front of the US column
      where it exploded, totally destroying one of the personnel carriers
      and killing six US troops and wounding three more.

      Diyala Province.

      Ba'qubah.

      Three US troops killed in Sunday morning roadside bomb attack.

      In a dispatch posted at 11:40am Sunday morning Mecca time, Mafkarat
      al-Islam reported witnesses as saying that an Iraqi Resistance
      roadside bomb exploded by a US foot patrol in the al-Mu'allimin
      neighborhood of Ba'qubah, killing three US troops and seriously
      wounding a fourth. US forces completely encircled the area of the
      attack, closing the street leading to the road where the bomb went
      off. The Americans evacuated their dead and wounded in a Humvee to the
      US base west of Ba'qubah.

      Diyala.

      Three US troops killed in roadside car bombing in Diyala Sunday.

      In a bulletin posted at 5:20pm Mecca time Sunday afternoon, Mafkarat
      al-Islam reported that an Iraqi Resistance car bomb exploded by a
      column of four US armored vehicles in the city of Diyala, northeast of
      Baghdad. Witnesses in the city reported that the Toyta Supra car bomb
      was parked by the side of the main road in the al-Amir neighborhood in
      the middle of the city. It blew up by the US armored column,
      destroying one armored vehicle and killing three US troops and
      wounding two more.

      Salah ad-Din Province.

      Ad-Dulu'iyah.

      Resistance roadside bomb kills two US troops in ad-Dulu'iyah Sunday
      afternoon.

      An Iraqi Resistance roadside bomb exploded by a US patrol on a side
      road in the town of ad-Dulu'iyah at 3pm Sunday afternoon, local time.
      The blast destroyed one Humvee and killed two US troops and wounded
      two more, Mafkarat al-Islam reported a source in the local puppet
      police as saying.

      Tikrit.

      US arrests Tikrit woman claiming she prepared car bombs for
      Resistance. Tribes threaten retaliation against Americans for holding her.

      US forces on Saturday arrested an Iraqi woman who lives in Tikrit
      along with three of her brothers from their home in the al-Arba'in
      neighborhood in the city. A correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam
      reported witnesses as saying that US troops brought more than 10
      armored vehicles into the neighborhood and closed the road on which
      the woman, who is 40 years of age, lives with her three younger brothers.

      The Baghdad correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam reported that on
      Sunday the Americans acknowledged the arrest, justifying it by saying
      that she is accused of preparing booby-trapped cars along with her
      brothers in their house and providing them to martyrdom fighters so
      that they can carry out operations against the US occupation troops.

      Relatives and neighbors of the woman denied the American claims
      categorically in an interview with the Mafkarat al-Islam
      correspondent. The Iraqi tribes in Tikrit, for their part warned that
      "a real disaster" as they put it will befall the occupation forces,
      meaning that they will join the Resistance, if the Americans continue
      to hold the woman.

      Ninwa Province.

      Mosul.

      Resistance blasts US al-Ghazlani base late Sunday morning.

      In a bulletin posted at 11:05am Mecca time Sunday morning, Mafkarat
      al-Islam reported that at that moment the Iraqi Resistance was
      pounding the US al-Ghazlani base - the largest American base in
      northern Iraq - with mortar shells and Katyusha rockets.

      The correspondent in Mosul reported that sirens could be heard wailing
      inside the base as he wrote his report, and that at that moment more
      than 20 rockets and shells had blasted into the American facility, all
      of them striking within the base. At the time of writing it was
      impossible to determine the extent of US losses or even to contact any
      puppet officials in relation to the on-going bombardment.

      Resistance roadside bomb kills three US troops in Mosul Sunday afternoon.

      An Iraqi Resistance bomb exploded by a joint US-Iraqi puppet force
      patrol in the city of Mosul on Sunday afternoon. A source in the Iraqi
      puppet forces told the correspondent for Mafkarat al-Islam in the city
      that the bomb was planted by the side of the main road in the
      al-Hudaba' neighborhood in the middle of the city and that it blew up
      as the joint patrol was passing at 3pm local time Sunday afternoon.

      The blast destroyed one US Humvee and set a puppet force pickup
      ablaze. Three US troops were killed and three more of them wounded.
      One Iraqi puppet soldier also died in the attack.

      Tall 'Afar.

      Resistance martyrdom car bomber blasts funeral of traitor collaborator.

      An Iraqi Resistance car bomb exploded in the northern Iraqi city of
      Tall 'Afar on Sunday killing at least 25 persons and wounding 50 more
      attending the funeral of a Kurdish collaborator executed by the Iraqi
      Resistance on Saturday.

      A spokesman for the Kurdish chauvinist collaborationist so-called
      Kurdistan Democratic Party said that the blast targeted the funeral of
      a Kurdish collaborator official in northern Iraq, according to a BBC
      report. The collaborator spokesman said that a Resistance martyrdom
      fighter drove into the crowd attending the funeral of the Kurdish
      collaborator who was liquidated on Saturday in a Resistance attack.

      The collaborator spokesman said that US forces and Iraqi puppet forces
      together with ambulances raced to the scene of Sunday's car bombing to
      haul out bodies and help the wounded. He said, however, that
      Resistance fighters had closed the road and that gunfire broke out in
      a battle with Resistance fighters.

      Al-Basrah Province.

      Al-Basrah.

      Sunnis of al-Basrah denounce arrests of community members.

      The Sunnis of al-Basrah issued a statement on Sunday denouncing the
      arrest of 46 members of their community by puppet authorities. Most of
      those arrested were from the Abu al-Khasib area of the southern Iraqi
      city.

      Iraqi puppet so-called "national guards" and puppet police arrested
      Shaykh Kamal Faysal as-Salim, the first supervisor of education in
      al-Basrah Province and a member of the Board of Muslim "Ulama"
      Scholars, the highest Sunni religious authority in Iraq, at 12
      midnight Saturday-Sunday night, in one of the latest such arrests of
      prominent Sunnis.

      Sources:

      http://www.islammemo.cc/news/one_news.asp?IDnews=64144
      http://www.islammemo.cc/news/one_news.asp?IDnews=64134