Our Parents Sent Us to War

    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2005
      Our Parents Sent Us to War
      by Karin Friedemann
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/islamiccommunitynet/message/8169

      This is written in response to Stan Goff's article "The Case of Hasan
      Akbar" [ www.counterpunch.org/goff05022005.html ] in which he
      repeatedly asserted that he did not condone Hasan Akbar's killing of
      two US soldiers. I was put off by his obscene moralizing and wrote to
      him that were I in Akbar's shoes I would have done the same thing, and
      when I am president I will put Hasan Akbar on a postage stamp. His
      response was, "My son is in Iraq, and I will not encourage him to draw
      a death penalty… Mass action will defeat the empire." Look at this. He
      is moralizing about Hasan Akbar and yet he is unwilling to accept any
      responsibility for his son's morals. I suggested a mass action against
      parents who allow their children to murder Muslims. He responded by
      calling me stupid and I quote, "Go back to your fucking sandbox."

      A lot of aging leftists like to blame the war on George W. Bush and
      invite us to march in the streets. To quote Stan Goff, "Mass action
      will defeat the empire." Will protesting stop the war? Everyone with
      a brain already knows that marching on Washington will not even
      disturb George W. Bush's breakfast. In fact, by causing havoc on the
      streets we actually distract the public's attention from the real
      crimes taking place. AIPAC lobbying Congress to bomb this or that
      country. Halliburton stealing our tax money and putting it in their
      pockets. The fact is, I can't control George Bush. But I can teach my
      son the difference between right and wrong. He knows who the bad guys
      are. He won't volunteer to die for George Bush but I would encourage
      him to die for freedom.

      In Stan Goff's case, he is an ex-military man who turned anti-war. How
      is it that his insights failed to reach his son? I have talked to (and
      been insulted by) other parents who claimed to be anti-war,
      anti-Zionist, what have you, and yet allow their children to display
      flags on their property. How is it that the wisdom of these parents
      fails to reach their children? Why are they in Iraq?

      My grandfather was drafted at gunpoint and sent to Stalingrad by
      Hitler, where he was probably tortured to death in a Soviet
      concentration camp. In any case no one ever heard from him again. He
      cannot be blamed since he had no choice. But Americans are not yet
      forced to join the army. In the case of extreme poverty, one can
      perhaps understand and forgive. But this kid has a father who cares
      about him, an anti-war father, no less, and yet he chose to kill
      Muslims rather than listen to his father. Why did he feel that his
      financial independence was worth more than his father's opinion?

      My mother taught me that it is better to be killed than to kill. My
      personal philosophy was modified when a bunch of skinheads pounded a
      hippy friend's head on the sidewalk while his friends stood around
      chanting "Peace, peace." There is a time to chant "peace" and there is
      a time to kick someone's ass. Right now the Iraqis have every right to
      kick American soldiers out of Iraq. I am willing to accept violence
      within the guidelines outlined in the Quran, where it says you have
      the right to fight in certain circumstances, for example if your life
      and property is threatened.

      The Prophet Mohammed said that the army of the anti-Christ would be
      composed of bastard children led by the Jews. Does this really mean
      the servants of Evil have no fathers? Or does it mean that they
      somehow got disconnected from their fathers? The sad thing is, most
      Americans encourage their children to leave the house at age eighteen.
      I was made to feel very ashamed for sponging off my parents. By
      contrast, Muslim parents beg their children not to leave them. Could
      there be any connection between American kids' willingness to kill for
      money and the way they were raised? Could there be any connection
      between Muslim kids' willingness to die for justice and the way they
      were raised? Could there be any connection between the feeling that
      kids get that their parents do not want them and the fact that they
      are willing to join the military rather than live with their parents?

      Mr. Goff dismissed my insights as "simplistic moralizing standards" –
      and yet the truth is very simple. Folks, stop blaming the war on
      George the Imbecile. He is just a pawn. We are at war because we
      allowed our country to be taken over by Zionists and other
      opportunists. We refused to take responsibility for our country. We
      refused responsibility for our children's actions. At core, we are at
      war because we failed our children. Our children with all their faults
      need us to provide them with a warm family atmosphere or else they
      will be sucked away from our embrace by military recruiters.