Sami Al-Arian: Enemy of the Sun

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2005
      Enemy of the Sun
      Sami A. Al-Arian
      March 13, 2005
      www.uruknet.info?p=10368

      Sami's trial is coming soon, and there is very little support. I was
      with him 12 hours before he was arrested, and was given a poem,
      written by him that day. To my knowledge I have the only copy. I
      offer this little intro and poem to you, if you think it will help -
      not harm his visibility. I trust your judgment and have never talked
      about, nor shared this.. But I am very concerned about what is and
      will be done to him, his family, and this insidious silencing of all
      good men who dare to take a stance against the Zionist onslaught.

      Yours truly, Barbra-renee Brighenti

      Sarasota Florida- an unusual day, a peace march against a war that
      hadn't started. Twelve spokespersons came and went. Good sentiments-
      war is bad, Bush is bad. Not a word about Palestine.Not a word about
      Israel.The usual gatekeepers slight of hand. I talked to several of
      the guest speakers, the Green Peace guy said, we can't mix the two
      subjects. A Black Democratic city official looked worried and said
      we cannot mention the Zionist, only one thing at a time. Another
      speaker, I think a minister, said not now dear, they must wait their
      turn. I guess 50 plus years hadn't put Palestine in que. Turning
      around, there was Dr. Sami Al-Arian grinning at my attempts. Never
      having met, but recognizing him, we shook hands. A gentle,
      gentleman, he inquired if I enjoyed being photographed.The Feds were
      there. I was touched by his concern. Later, after talking at length,
      we parted, agreeing to meet again the following week. "A parting
      gift,I just wrote it..."and handed me a letter size page, typed, the
      layout implying a poem. "Read it latter." And we shook hands. Twelve
      hours later I received a call, "Sami's been arrested."

      Enemy of the Sun
      By: Sami A. Al-Arian

      You may rob me of the last inch of my land
      Or deprive me of a kiss on my mother's hand
      You may feed my youth to the prison one day
      Or deny my son a smile, a suit on his birthday
      You may bulldoze my home and cut my tree
      Or demonize me to take away my right to be free
      You may blow off my candle in the darkness of the night
      So I give up my hopes and dreams and will to fight
      You may build a fence or a wall, a real tall wall
      To live or die like an animal about to fall
      Enemy of the sun and the light, of the sea and the air
      I won't compromise or forget or concede nor despair
      Till the last beat of my heart or the last pulse in my vein
      I shall resist and resist and endure all the pain
      With the stone in one hand and the pen in the other
      I shall throw, and speak to every sister and brother
      You may lie and cheat and use every trick or deceit
      But we'll continue to resist and resist with our hands and our feet

      12 February,2003 / 11 Zulhijjah,1423

      Dr. Sami Al-Arian has been silenced since his arrest. He will stand
      trial in Florida this May.Let us share with him his hope and dream
      and will to fight.

      Barbra-renee Brighenti
      realtor44 @ comcast.net

      www.uruknet.info?p=10368