Midnight Rant: Israel & Palestine

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2005
      A Midnight Rant about Israel and Palestine
      By Genevieve Cora Fraser
      Email: gcfraser @ gis.net

      When were you last in Palestine? I recently asked that question to a
      friend who was saying that if people are upbeat and focus on the
      positive about Israelis and Palestinian relations than things, by-
      golly, are just bound to improve. "Of course there are flaws in the
      process but any peace process is better than none at all," he said.
      What naivety - is my response.

      When I read what the media says or listen to the radio or watch
      television where the subject is the Palestinian-Israeli Conflict
      and/or Peace Process, they seem to be discussing different countries
      than the countries I recently visited. If there is 8% left of
      historic Palestine that would be a miracle. It is closer to 6% in
      terms of what the Palestinians have control over - (though during
      curfew you are targeted for death if you so much as look out a
      window and we know these curfews go on for days and weeks and
      sometime a month or more). Each day that passes there is less and
      less available to Palestinians - all they have of what little
      remains is taken from them.

      IS THIS HAPPENING IN ISRAEL TO THE JEWS? - ARE THEIR BUILDINGS BEING
      BLOWN UP BY PALESTINIANS? ARE THEY BEING STARVED AND DENIED
      WATER??? DO ATTACK HELICOPTERS AND FIGHTER JETS BOMB AND STRAFE
      THEM? DO TANKS FIRE INTO THEIR SCHOOLS? DO PALESTINIAN SOLDIERS
      BLOW THE BRAINS OUT OF LITTLE JEWISH CHILDREN SITTING AT THEIR DESKS
      IN SCHOOL?? IS A WALK DOWN THE STREET A NIGHTMARE NEVER KNOWING WHO
      WILL ARREST YOU FOR LOOKING THE WRONG WAY? OR KILL YOU BECAUSE OF
      YOUR ETHNICITY?? MUST ISRAELI JEWS STOP AND WAIT AT CHECKPOINTS FOR
      HOURS AT A TIME AND ARE THEY TOLD TO TURN AROUND AND GO HOME EVEN
      WHEN THERE IS A MEDICAL EMEGENCY SUCH AS A HEART ATTACK OR
      CHILDBIRTH???

      Are Jewish Israelis subjected to having their property taken out
      from under them? Have their banks been robbed and their bank
      accounts been taken over by Palestine??

      THE ONLY WAY TO STOP WHAT IS HAPPENING IS TO ACKNOWLEDGE IT - NOT
      COVER IT UP EVEN FURTHER!! IT STARTED IN 1948 AND CONTINUES DAY IN
      AND DAY OUT IN A NEVER ENDING HORROR STORY!

      The building of outposts and settlements progresses at record speed
      and it is under government support and control. In the 9 days I
      was there in January it was amazing how much progress was made in
      East Jerusalem and along the West Bank, Jewish-Only highways. - And
      the Wall is down the center of roads in East Jerusalem now - and if
      your house is on one side and they give you an ID for the other
      side - you no longer are permitted in your house and if you aren't
      there, physically present, under Israeli law they take it from you
      because you are absent. And Jewish Israelis are thrilled to get
      their hands on lands/property that are recently stolen. (They are
      not offered to non-Jews) These brand-spanking new settlements are
      prestige items presented by a criminal government to a compromised
      people.

      There is no peace process. There never was. It has all been a
      fraud - as the building of Jewish settlements and killing and
      maiming of Palestinians has continued non-stop since Al Nakba in
      1948. (Think Lebanon in 1982 – Sharon's massacre at Sabra and
      Shatila refugee camps) Yes, there are lulls, periods of "relative
      calm" which is when the worse damage occurs - kind of like the
      child's game of red light. You close your eyes for a few moments
      and see how things creep up on you. Israel is in a game called
      ethnic cleansing. Slow, deliberate, steady - the pressure on the
      Palestinians is relentless and barbaric. There are millions of
      Palestinians in refugee camps living in utter squalor both in and
      out of Palestine. They are afforded no rights commonly granted to
      other refugees throughout the world – Israel and its cohort America
      have seen to that. But there is one right that no one can deprive
      them – the Right of Return. They will never give that up. Never!
      Don't even think it. It is etched in their hearts as well in the
      stone of International Law.

      Sure, there are still some privileged Palestinians though their
      fortunes are definitely on the decline. Some have wonderful and
      successful families and in America would socially be in the middle
      to upper middle class. I wish them well and want them to be happy
      and to succeed and I'm sure they shall – for them somehow there will
      be a way – even if they eventually leave Palestine.

      And of course, there are wonderful, morally upright, non-racist
      Israeli Jews too - I have met quite a few and work closely with many
      in the Jewish community. - Some have negative opinions about
      Israel much stronger than mine.

      By Israel I mean the Zionist controlled government.

      But on the whole, the Jewish community is in denial and insists that
      Holocaust programs are aired constantly. It is a mantra used to
      deflect criticism from their practices in Israel. It is entirely
      appropriate to counter this with what has been done to the
      Palestinians.

      We should make a pact – like a political pact. If a Holocaust
      program is aired – Palestinians are automatically asked to show a
      program on the Al Nakba atrocities of 1948 – uncut – unedited photos
      of children with their guts showing and teens and moms and dads and
      grandmothers and grandfathers lying in a ditch and in open fields
      with limbs missing – some decapitated.

      And let's be sure to include the photos of squalor and starvation in
      the tent cities erected for the refuges – many of whom are still
      refugees – 57 years later - but now they live in bombed out
      buildings in squalor though many are back in tents – like the 25,000
      made homeless in Gaza over the last few years. There are lots of
      photos of the dead and the dying from 1948 to 2005 – just gathering
      dust. It's time they were aired – publicly – in newspapers and
      magazines and on television – over and over and over again just like
      the Holocaust until someone gets the point that the Palestinians
      have suffered too! Their suffering has lasted nearly six decades –
      not less than one decade as in the Holocaust – and there have been
      no reparations for the Palestinians - unlike the reparations for the
      Jews that for the most part were made in 7 years or less from the
      date of the injustice.

      Yes. I am criticizing the Jewish community - those that do not look
      squarely at what their support of Israel is really about - with one
      set of laws granting rights and privileges for Jews-only while
      brutish military rule is enforced for the others. Many Arab
      Israelis - though they are Israeli citizens and pay taxes - are not
      permitted running water, electricity, schools, medical facilities,
      roads - though they may in fact put up facilities - but these are un-
      permitted as they say and so are destroyed at the whim of Israel.
      For the Bedouins, they've developed the fine art of aerial spraying
      of insecticides such as Monsanto's Roundup. It's very effective at
      killing crops, livestock and people who end up with cancer if they
      can't find shelter fast enough.

      One Arab leader in Israel (Azmi Bishara) is not allowed to speak in
      the Knesset (he is a silenced member) because he has been arrested
      for such things as arranging visits of elderly to Syria to visit
      relatives. In their Knesset they openly speak of non-Jews - Arabs,
      Bedouins as sub-human and some prestigious members refer to them as
      insects - great talk - Yes, I read the English version of Israeli
      papers. Rabbis openly speak of Jewish obligations to preemptively
      kill Palestinians as a moral obligation - the list of such opinions
      goes on and on and they back it up with actions. (This sort of
      criminal thinking was also prevalent in America from the early 1600s
      to mid-1700s. These were barbaric times when church WAS state in
      the colonies. As a result, Catholic, Quakers and Jews were put upon
      and some were tortured and killed and toward the end of the 17th
      century the witch trials ensued. That's why the US founding fathers
      believed deeply in the separation of church and state and why it is
      enshrined in the American constitution.)

      And yes, I recognize (though some claim I don't) that there are
      Palestinian suicide bombings and I deeply regret the loss of any
      life - but Israel occupies Palestine - Palestine does not occupy
      Israel. This is not a fair fight. It is a 36 BILLION dollar
      military against sticks and stones and stolen weapons. And yes our
      government in America is also becoming rabid with a belief in our
      superiority over all else. Preemptive strikes are against
      international law - that is what Adolph Hitler did. That is why one
      popular poster in Europe is that of George Bush with a mustache like
      Hitler's because that is what the world increasingly thinks of the
      United States and the renewal of a Bush presidency – the slow march
      to Nazism.

      Come on - let's tell it like it is - Israel's independence was not
      grounded in righteousness and law but rather on a preemptive strike
      on the native population who (according to Resolution 181 which did
      pass despite Arab opposition) were not to be transferred. Yet 80%
      of the population was driven off of 78% of their land. That is the
      kind of thing Hitler did – and the freshly minted Israelis said,
      Never Again as they inflicted a similar atrocity on an innocent
      people. Ethnic cleansing was justified because of their supposed
      rights to a land which had been Jewish when Jews were what today
      would be called Arabs. Abraham came out of what today is called
      Iraq. By today's standards, Abraham would be called an Arab. Jesus
      Christ spoke Aramaic and today would be called an Arab Jew. Yet the
      problem with Jewish-controlled Israel is that it is Arab phobic. Go
      figure!

      "In the 3rd millennium BC the civilized settlements of Southern
      Babylonia, Egypt, the Middle Euphrates, Palestine and Syria were
      invaded by tribesmen known as the Habiru or Apiru, who can almost
      certainly be identified with the Arabs, (the only identifiable
      meaning of `Arab' comes from abir, nomad). The invaders, who are of
      Semitic stocks, inhabited and developed the ancient civilizations of
      Sumer and Babylon. The term "Semitic" was coined from Shem, son of
      Noah and respected ancestor of the inhabitants of Arabia. It is
      believed that Arabs from Central and Southern Arabia invaded the
      settled lands of the Fertile Crescent and that the Hebrews that are
      featured in the Old Testament were Arabs and part of the population
      of Arabia, which also included the Israelite Hebrews under the
      leadership of Joshua and other tribal chieftains."

      "Islam and the Form of the Mosque," by Martin Frishman, 1994.

      Last night I was at Harvard University watching a Palestinian
      film, "Women in Struggle," produced, written and directed by Buthina
      Khoury with Buthina present and fielding questions from a very
      shocked audience. The film focuses on Palestinian women political
      prisoners and how they were brutalized in Israeli prison - raped
      with IDF and broomsticks until they were unable to bear children. A
      common tactic is to arrest a parent - a father and throw him in the
      room with his naked daughter and force him at gunpoint to sleep with
      his child. This is systemic - not random. This is Israeli policy –
      what it commonly done. They also arrest girls - pluck them out of
      their homes at gunpoint - no reason is necessary - and they
      physically and sexually torture them - and the same is done to men
      and to boys to break them and try to force them into becoming
      collaborators. Sick, sick, sick!! And there are widespread reports
      of Israeli military training American troops – the rest spills out
      into news reports involving sexually perverse torture in prisons.

      There is NO need for the occupation - it is sick - sadistic and
      depraved. Lot's of money could be saved by Israel if they merely
      stuck to defending their borders. And the reason for terror tactic
      see through it all but by and large most go along and blame the
      victim, I have found. I recently wrote an article about the FFIPP
      (Faculty for Israeli-Palestinian Peace) conference and the arrests
      of 2 Gaza students with IDs and permits in hand. They were walking
      in the Old City as tourists and there was no rhyme or reason for
      their arrest. But the heroes of the story were two professors, an
      Israeli American, a former IDF officer and a retired Israeli
      professor of Chemistry. Through a variety of tactics they were
      finally able to rescue the students.

      I am accused of being one-sided in my writing, but I have often
      praised where there is a reason to praise - hoping that these
      exceptions to the rule set an example. However, the nasty, brutish
      truth is all about. One of my Israeli friends told me of IDF near
      his home, rifle blasting the face of a young American man who was
      walking Palestinian children to school so they wouldn't be killed by
      settlers. He and his wife also witnessed other atrocities. They
      risk arrest for fighting government policies and practices yet they
      are courageous and do whatever they feel they can do as needed. He
      told me that the military now has a presence in grammar schools to
      teach good Israeli military values! He is beginning to see the
      situation as hopeless - the population is so saturated with
      government propaganda and increasingly - to his sorrow – in some
      instances can be compared to the rise of Nazi Germany. Many, he
      claims, oppose this trend but feel powerless to stop it.

      But make no mistake, Palestine is the victim - when an occasional
      Israeli is killed it is blow-back - the result of increased anger
      and frustration- even the so-called Palestinian rockets are
      glorified college experiments - not guided missiles like what the
      Israeli military uses. Israel systematically has tortured and
      dispossessed the Palestinians. Under international law, as an
      occupied people, Palestinians have a right to resist - just as Jews
      had a right to resist during WW II and if an occasional German
      civilian or Nazi got in the way – injury and death were the result.
      I do not like or condone any of it but I see who is doing what to
      whom and refuse to blame the victim. Palestinians have also learned
      that Israel only respects violence. It is what has brought them to
      this latest so-called truce.

      Under American law, I believe it is both morally and legally wrong
      that a state "for" Jews should be handed any US money except for
      humanitarian purposes. There is a constitutional prohibition - the
      separation of church and state. If Israel encourages Jews to
      Israel - fine - but it is a state FOR Jews where Jews have rights
      and others do not. Israel is NOT a democracy. That claim is PR
      developed to cover up what Israel actually does to its non-Jewish
      citizenry. I have seen about a dozen documentaries on this issue
      and gone to conference after conference and heard this discussed by
      many Israeli scholars and NGOs - the ones who would like to change
      things but never will – because they are essentially without
      power . The government of Israel does what it will and is devoid
      of humanistic considerations.

      Many Israelis I have listened to or spoken with have come to believe
      that only an external force - such as UN Peacekeepers or a world
      wide boycott will bring about the needed change. Many in Europe's
      academic world are boycotting Israeli academia and the best of
      Israeli scholars are begging them to do so because conditions in the
      country are so bad.

      They blame the problems of the country not only on Jewish elitism
      but extreme Arab phobia with the white European Ashkenazi (WASPS –
      White Ashkenazi Sons of Pioneers) still very much calling the
      shots. Sure there are a few windows of opportunity here and there
      and some tokenism to shut the others up. I have been told by these
      brave people that if there is to be peace with the Palestinians,
      Israel must change from within. Israel is a country out of control,
      with rising poverty, violence and long-standing issues of racism and
      discrimination that are tearing the fabric of the society apart. If
      Israel can heal itself, and adopt a more humanitarian attitude that
      the Jewish community was once upon a time respected for – then and
      only then will peace be possible, because Israel will be at peace
      with itself.