Mother: Soldier's life 'wasted' in Iraq

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2005
      Mother of slain soldier says his life 'wasted' in Iraq:
      The Associated Press - KNOXVILLE, Tenn.
      http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/ap_newfullstory.asp?ID=55921

      The grieving Tennessee mother of a soldier who died in a shootout at
      a Baghdad checkpoint says the war in Iraq "wasted" his life.

      Pfc. Daniel Anderson, a 29-year-old native of Corpus Christi, Texas,
      died Sunday while serving with the 3rd Infantry Division based out
      of Fort Stewart, Ga.

      "He was there two weeks and three days. I feel like his life was
      wasted," Patricia Brady said Wednesday. "A lot of people say he's a
      hero, but to me his life was wasted along with many others."

      Brady said her son had visited her and other family in Cocke County,
      about 45 miles southeast of Knoxville, frequently over the past
      several years. She spoke at length with him about his decisions to
      join the Army and then to go to Iraq.

      "I am very much a pacifist," Brady said. "Danny knew this, but it
      was his decision."

      Brady said a casualty assistance officer said her son was manning
      the checkpoint when a car with five occupants tried to speed
      through. Gunfire erupted and Anderson was killed.

      Anderson leaves behind a wife, a 6-year-old stepson and a 6-month-
      old son, Noah.

      "She isn't taking it very well," Brady said of her daughter-in-
      law. "I've only talked to her once, but I know it's been very
      difficult for her."

      Brady said her son's body is being returned from Middle East for a
      funeral in Corpus Christi.

      "We've been fighting war for how many thousands of years for peace
      and look where we are," she said. "We have to learn how to get
      along."