Gilad Atzmon: Who Should Apologise?

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2 10:37 AM
      Why Should He Apologise? Or Rather, Who Should Apologise?
      by Gilad Atzmon
      http://www.gilad.co.uk/html%20files/livingstone.html

      Ken Livingstone, the Mayor of the multi ethnic city of London, is
      asked to apologise after comparing an "Evening Standard" reporter to
      a "concentration camp guard". Like many other inhabitants of this
      colourful metropolis, I ask myself why should he apologise? As it
      seems, the answer is simple: he dared to insult a Jew. He neither
      referred to any Jewish characteristic the journalist may have had ,
      nor did he refer to the reporter's ethnic origin. The Mayor was
      just insulting a man who happened to be a Jew. In politically
      correct Britain this is unacceptable.

      Mayor Livingstone wasn't referring to the journalist as a Jew; he
      wasn't even equating the "Jews" with "concentration camp guards". As
      a matter of fact, he was referring to a specific journalist in
      reaction to his conduct.

      And yet, this was enough to awaken the Board of Deputies of British
      Jews, an organisation that presents itself as the "voice of British
      Jews". They now publicly demand the Mayor's apology. We should ask
      why British Jews feel offended by the Mayor? Did he threaten any
      Jewish interests? Clearly not, and yet the Board of Deputies insist
      on presenting the Mayor's comment as a racial assault. I would
      maintain that once again we are presented with a glimpse into
      the Jewish notion of brotherhood. Following the twisted logic of the
      Jewish Board of Deputies: offending one Jew is an assault against
      the entire "chosen race".

      But it goes further; the incident makes it clear that in the eyes of
      the Board of Deputies, WW2 is in fact an internal Jewish affair. The
      fact that millions of non-Jews died in Nazi concentration camps is
      completely irrelevant for them, so is the fact that Britain
      scarified its best young men fighting Hitler. The Board of Deputies
      is very efficient in capitalizing on the Holocaust. For them, WW2 is
      an integral part of the Jewish history; no one else is allowed
      in. This applies of course to the Mayor's usage of metaphorical
      language and to Prince Harry's dressing code.

      The Board of Deputies, demands the Mayor's apology but apparently
      they are not alone. As disgusting as it may sound, another morally
      deteriorated political figure has joined their demand. This is what
      PM Tony Blair had to say today:

      "Let's just apologise and move on." For PM Blair an apology is a
      political manoeuvre. It is there to serve a political cause. In
      Blair's world, an apology is merely a strategic act. If political
      survival is the "one and only" goal, then every means is more than
      legitimate. But then, very much in contrast, Livingstone served us
      all with a far more dignified performance.

      Livingstone insisted that he would not apologise because he didn't
      believe that he should offer an apology. Here is what he said on
      Monday: "I could apologise but why should I say words I do not
      believe in my heart."

      Unlike the instrumental prime minister, who is suggesting using
      words tactically, the Mayor insists that apology is a sincere and
      meaningful act. On the face of it, sincerity and integrity are
      exactly the ingredients Blair and his cohorts are lacking badly.

      We should ask ourselves why Mr Blair, once the leader of a European
      political institution (he is still the leader but unfortunately they
      are not an institution anymore..), joined the Jewish clannish
      demand. I argue that morally deteriorated leaders often ally
      themselves with Jewish and Zionist organisations.

      Allying yourself with holocaust victims is proved to be the ultimate
      sufficient political body armour. Being amongst the survivors makes
      one look better than Hitler. Yes, let's admit, PM Blair is still far
      better than Hitler but the fact that he feels a need to emphasize it
      occasionally makes it clear that he owes us, the Iraqi people and
      humanity a big apology himself.

      Gilad Atzmon was born in Israel and served in the Israeli military.
      He is the author of the new novel A Guide to the Perplexed. Atzmon
      is also one of the most accomplished jazz saxophonists in Europe.
      His recent CD, Exile, was named the year's best jazz CD by the BBC.
      He now lives in London and can be reached at: atz@...