CNN Faked Happy Iraqi Voter Shots

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2005
      GI SPECIAL 3A31:

      [See website for photos of Vietnamese children hanging posters,
      Iraqi man burning ballot, etc.]

      Associated Press

      Campaign workers pasting up posters in Saigon for the September 1967
      election. As everyone knows, that wonderful election, limited to
      lists of candidates willing to have the freedom-loving U.S.A. occupy
      Vietnam, formed a government happy to have the freedom-loving U.S.A.
      occupy Vietnam.

      Four months later came the Tet Offensive.

      No Election In Anbar;

      A Hell That Bites The Americans
      FALLUJAH, Iraq, Jan. 29 (Xinhuanet) & AFP & 1.30.05 By Mariam Fam,
      The Associated Press & Aljazeera & (Xinhuanet) --

      Polls were largely deserted all day in many cities of the Sunni
      Triangle north and west of the capital, particularly Fallujah,
      Ramadi and Beiji.Polling stations in several towns in Iraq have not
      opened five hours after nationwide voting started on Sunday, the
      country's electoral commission said.

      "In Latifiya, Mahmudiya and Yusufiya, polling stations have not yet
      opened their doors," commission spokesman Farid Ayar told
      reporters. "The turnout was very low during the past few hours in
      Tikrit, Dujail, Balad and Tuz, much lower than expected," a source
      in the electoral body told Xinhua. "In addition, no voters showed up
      in Baiji, Samarra and Dour," said the source, who declined to be

      The cities of Dujail and Balad have mixed population of Shiites and
      Sunnis, while Tuz has a mosaic of Kurds, Arabs and Turkmen. Election
      organizers set up two polling centers on Saturday afternoon in
      Iraq's previously rebel-controlled Fallujah, but only found them
      bombed shortly after. The two centers, in Fallujah's al-Risala and
      al-Shurta districts, were installed only hours before election day
      in an effort to showcase the idea that no place is absent from the
      elections. The two are among the only four voting centers in Anbar
      province west of Baghdad.

      A third is located in Anbar's capital city of Ramadi and is heavily
      guarded by US and Iraqi troops. The fourth one is said to be opened
      early Sunday in Fallujah, a virtual ghost town after US Marines and
      Iraqi forces stormed it last November.

      In Tikrit, only seven people showed up in the first two hours of
      voting at a school in the city center. 75 percent of the voting
      stations have not been visited till now. Senior officials of Tikrit
      were the first to vote on Sunday, but followed by few people.
      Unlike the south and the north of Iraq, there has been virtually no
      trace of elections in Anbar despite repeated calls for participation
      from the authorities.

      "I do not even want to think of these elections because they only
      express the desire of the American administration. It will create an
      allegiant government which will in turn justify the criminal actions
      it had committed in Anbar, "said Haj Mahmood Saloom. "Come what
      may, I think the results of the elections are predetermined," said
      the 48-year-old citizen.

      The situation in Ramadi, 110 km west of Baghdad, is equally harsh.
      Instead of campaign posters, on walls are leaflets that ask people
      to stay home especially at night to avoid violence. "The evening
      will be turned into a hell that bites the Americans. The elections
      will be a disaster for the agents and collaborators with the
      occupation," reads a poster which carries the name of the Islamic
      Resistance Movement.

      Heavily fortified polling centres were deserted and streets empty as
      Iraqis in the Sunni Muslim city of Samarra stayed home on Sunday.
      According to preliminary figures provided by a joint US and Iraqi
      taskforce that safeguarded the vote, fewer than 1400 people cast
      ballots in the city of 200,000. The figure includes votes from
      soldiers and police. An AFP correspondent said there were no
      election staff at polling stations and police could not be seen on
      the streets of the city where US forces battled insurgents in

      One Voter In Falluja

      1.30.05 Aljazeera

      In war-ravaged Falluja, nearly all residents stayed at home despite
      the presence of five polling stations. Only one man was reported to
      have voted. Kelebdooni, Anti-Allawi group writes: That's turnout of
      0.00033%. I think he had been on a desert island for the last two
      years and got back home only last night.

      CNN Caught Faking Happy Voter Shots

      12:29:48 PM Interesting. I'm watching CNN International, and the
      shots of long lines and happy voters are almost all coming from
      Iraqi Kurdistan where the voters are motivated and the environment
      is (relatively) safe. The rub is that CNNi is not identifying the
      images as coming from Kurdistan; the only way I knew it was from up
      north was the single shot of someone waving a Kurdish flag.

      January 30, 2005 Christopher

      8:39:11 AM (All times local Baghdad time): Explosions in the Green
      Zone, probably mortars. Police report a car bomb in west Baghdad,
      with some casualties.

      9:34:37 AM So far, not as much violence as everybody feared. The
      question is why?

      Is the insurgency taking a pass on this one? (It's possible. Our
      sources in the insurgency say the election will make no difference
      to them, so why expend a lot of energy?)

      Is the insurgency much weaker than previously thought?

      Or is the level of security sufficient to keep it in check? If
      that's the case, then that is discouraging, too, because the
      measures that have kept today safe (so far) are truly draconian. No
      driving, dusk to dawn curfews, states of emergency. If that's what
      it takes to provide security in Iraq, why erase one police state
      only to replace it with another?

      11:32:34 AM Four suicide bombings, all in west Baghdad. Seven dead
      and several wounded. We can't get to them because the bridges are
      blocked off and west Baghdad is on the other side of the Tigris

      12:22:58 PM Sixth suicide bomb kills six people at a polling center
      in Baghdad. Unsure on where it is. Some of our other staff are our
      on the streets right now, and I'll be heading out again when they
      get back. (We only have so much security.)

      12:29:48 PM Interesting. I'm watching CNN International, and the
      shots of long lines and happy voters are almost all coming from
      Iraqi Kurdistan where the voters are motivated and the environment
      is (relatively) safe.

      The rub is that CNN is not identifying the images as coming from
      Kurdistan; the only way I knew it was from up north was the single
      shot of someone waving a Kurdish flag.

      But if you don't know what the flag looks like (red, white and green
      bars with a yellow starburst in the center), as I suspect most
      Americans don't, you wouldn't know the context of these images.
      Shi'ites are also coming out in droves in the south. But Sunnis are
      staying home. I will be surprised if the Sunni vote hits double
      digits at this point.

      1:15:38 PM Nine suicide bombs in Baghdad alone, with at least 20
      dead. A bomb went off near the home of the Justice Minister. There
      are a number of outgoing mortars from my neighborhood in the last 10

      Occupation Caught Importing 60 Million Ballots---
      But Only 15 Million Voters
      Jan. 29, 2005
      By Robin Wright
      The Washington Post Company

      In the run-up to Iraq's elections, the State Department's spokesman
      this week ticked off the final markers of progress: 130 planeloads
      of voting materials had landed in Iraq, including 90,000 ballot
      boxes and 60 million ballots In a last-minute American role,
      officials said, the U.S. military will assist today in distributing
      the equipment to polling stations. There are about 25 million
      Iraqis, and about 15 million of them are eligible to vote (many are
      indeed boycotting it).

      What will they be doing with the extra 45 million ballots?

      U.S. Stooges Caught Faking Voter Turnout Numbers;

      Forced To Admit 72% Claim A Guess

      30 January Aljazeera & BBC & By Kelebdooni, Anti-Allawi group

      Confusion surrounds turnout statistics in Iraq's election, with the
      country's election commission backtracking on a statement that 72%
      had voted and top politicians insisting the turnout was high.

      Iraq's electoral commission held a news conference 90 minutes before
      polls closed to say turnout was estimated at 72%, with 90% or more
      in some Shia areas. But electoral official Adil al-Lami did not say
      how these figures had been reached. The commission said its initial
      tally had been little more than a guess based on local estimates.

      Comment by Kelebdooni:

      It [the 72% number] was given by the same electoral "official" who
      announced within the first hour that all polling stations were open
      for normal sordid business. Hours later, we learned from
      other "officials" that some polling stations were never even opened
      because the staff failed to show up!

      Turnout in Ramadi and Salahuddin provinces was almost nil, because
      hardly any stations opened. In Samarra, only 2 stations opened at
      noon, with no turnout.

      Nowhere to vote in the "triangle of death" area south of Baghdad,
      because no one dared mention a polling station.

      Turnout in Mosul, Baquba, and Basra was very light. Turnout was
      negligible in most areas of Baghdad itself. Those were the accounts
      of Al-Jazeera, Al-Arabiya, and ANB field reporters from the areas
      mentioned, which account for more than half of the Iraqi population!

      It must have been countered by a turnout of 272% in Erbil!

      So why bother to count anyway?

      Big Joke

      1.28.05 BBC

      Mahmoud al-Rassam, 25, student:

      "I will not take part of these elections. How can we have elections
      when the occupation forces have their boots over our necks? What
      kind of election will it be when most Iraqis are not participating?
      This is just an American plot to hand the government to their agents
      and say this is your government.

      "Iraq will be like Iran and civil war will take place. These
      elections are a big joke, I feel ashamed of all those Iraqis
      deceived by the American propaganda."

      While CNN Fakes The Election Stage Show, The War Goes On
      By Robert Fisk
      The Independent on Sunday U.K.

      The media boys and girls will be expected to play along with
      this. "Transition of power," says the hourly logo on CNN's live
      coverage of the election, though the poll is for a parliament to
      write a constitution and the men who will form a majority within it
      will have no power.

      They have no control over their oil, no authority over the streets
      of Baghdad, let alone the rest of the country, no workable army or
      loyal police force. Their only power is that of the American
      military and its 150,000 soldiers whom we could see at the main
      Baghdad intersections yesterday.

      The big television networks have been given a list of five polling
      stations where they will be "allowed" to film. Close inspection of
      the list shows that four of the five are in Shia Muslim areas -
      where the polling will probably be high - and one in an upmarket
      Sunni area where it will be moderate.

      Every working-class Sunni polling station will be out of bounds to
      the press. I wonder if the television lads will tell us that today
      when they show voters "flocking" to the polls.

      In the Karada district, we found three truckloads of youths
      yesterday, all brandishing Iraqi flags, all - like the unemployed
      who have been sticking posters to Baghdad's walls - paid by the
      government to "advertise" the election. And there was a cameraman
      from Iraqi state television, which is controlled by Iyad
      Allawi's "interim" government.

      The "real" story is outside Baghdad, in the tens of thousands of
      square miles outside the government's control and outside the sight
      of independent journalists, especially in the four Sunni Muslim
      provinces which are the heart of Iraq's insurrection.

      Right up to election hour, US jets were continuing to
      bomb "terrorist targets", the latest in the city of Ramadi - which,
      though Messrs Bush and Blair do not say so - is now in the hands of
      the insurgents as surely as Fallujah was before the Americans
      destroyed it.

      Every month since Mr Allawi, the former CIA agent, was appointed
      premier by the US government, American air strikes on Iraq have been
      increasing exponentially.

      There are no "embedded" reporters on the giant American air base at
      Qatar or aboard the US carriers in the Gulf from which these ever-
      increasing and ever more lethal sorties are being flown. They go
      unrecorded, unreported, part of the "fantasy" war which is all too
      real to the victims but hidden from us journalists as we cower in

      The reality is that much of Iraq has become a free-fire zone - for
      reference, see under "Vietnam" - and the Americans are conducting
      this secret war as efficiently and as ruthlessly as they conducted
      their earlier bombing campaign against Iraq between 1991 and 2003,
      an air raid a day, or two raids, or three. Then they were attacking
      Saddam's "military targets" in Iraq.

      Now they are attacking "foreign terrorist targets" or "anti-Iraqi
      forces". I especially like this one since the foreigners involved in
      this violence happen in reality to be Americans who are mostly
      attacking Iraqis.

      Yes, I know how it's all going to be played out. Iraqis bravely vote
      despite the bloodcurdling threats of the enemies of democracy.

      At last, the American and British policies have reached fruition - a
      real and functioning democracy will be in place so we can leave soon.

      Or next year.

      Or in a decade or so.

      Merely to hold these elections - an act of folly in the eyes of so
      many Iraqis - will be a "success".

      Allawi & Iraq President Vote In Green Zone Safety

      1.30.05 Aljazeera & Matt Spetalnick, Reuters

      Casting his vote in Baghdad's heavily fortified Green Zone interim
      Prime Minister Iyad Allawi urged his countrymen to defy the
      guerrillas and go to the polls. Iraq's interim President Ghazi al-
      Yawir became the first Iraqi official to vote.

      Al-Yawir, draped in white and yellow robes, dropped his vote into a
      clear plastic ballot box at 7:05am (0405 GMT).

      "Thank God, Thank God. Blessed are the Iraqi elections," he
      said. "We greet all Iraqi people and urge them not to give up their
      rights, to vote for Iraq, elect Iraq and not to give up on Iraq." Al-
      Yawir voted inside Baghdad's sealed off Green Zone.

      [Comment 1.30.05 from Samia Jamal, Anti-Allawi Group:

      [Al-Yawir voted inside Baghdad's sealed off Green Zone.

      [Can I vote there too?

      [Then again, the American embassy was bombed there only yesterday!

      [Thank God. Thank God. He made it.

      Stooge And A Dictator

      1.28.05 BBC

      Omar Naiem, 43, electrician:

      "All these banners and posters are a big lie. Those people running
      for elections are agents of the foreigners - the Iranians, Americans
      and the Israelis. It is not the intimidation that is preventing the
      people from voting. It's the lies. "They claimed that Saddam was a
      dictator, but what is Allawi now? He is the same - an American
      stooge and a dictator."