Iraqis 'desperate for food'

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2004
      Fallujah families 'desperate for food'

      The Iraqi Red Crescent Society on Thursday was able for the first
      time to deliver aid directly to families stranded by fighting in
      Fallujah

      http://snipurl.com/awbh

      Fallujah - The Iraqi Red Crescent Society on Thursday was able for
      the first time to deliver aid directly to families stranded by
      fighting in Fallujah after a United States-led offensive to wrest
      the Sunni-Muslim city from insurgents.

      A single Red Crescent team delivered food and water to five families
      in a battered northern Fallujah neighbourhood, an AFP photographer
      reported, after US Marines patrolling the area found them hiding in
      their homes.

      The Red Crescent estimates that only 150 to 175 families remained in
      Fallujah after the start of the US-led offensive on November 8, and
      civilians living in the ruined city have become desperate for water
      and blankets.

      Red Crescent officials met Thursday with US Marine Lieutenant
      Colonel Gary Montgomery to discuss co-operative aid efforts.

      Red Crescent convoys had been able to enter Fallujah on Wednesday
      and Monday, but only toured the city and said they were unable to
      move freely and find any of the civilians who needed assistance.

      Red Crescent efforts to assist civilians still in Fallujah have been
      frustrated by ongoing military operations, and the agency's co-
      ordinator for Fallujah, Jotiar Nafaa, said getting out into the city
      to assess how many people need help is the organization's first
      priority.

      "It should start going better," Montgomery said after Thursday's
      meeting. "We weren't getting the information we needed from them so
      they weren't getting what we needed from us and were getting
      frustrated." - Sapa-AFP