Israel's Ten Commandments

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2004
      No Atonement:

      The New Ten Commandments for Israel's National Policies
      http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20041101&s=neeman

      No Atonement
      The New Ten Commandments for Israel's National Policies
      by Moshe Neeman

      1. Dominate thy neighbor. No atonement necessary for an occupation
      that deprives the Palestinian population of life, liberty and even
      brief moments of happiness. We'll continue violating every
      international law and convention that stands in our way.

      2. Nothing succeeds like success. The thirty-seven-year-old
      occupation continues in full force and will remain in place. With
      lands confiscated and settled, the territories as we knew them in
      1967 no longer exist. And with every Israeli under 50 raised with
      the occupation in the background, the territories are no
      longer "occupied"--a term that suggests an interim condition--but
      rather transformed into areas permanently and irreversibly
      controlled by Israel. Incidentally, this process follows closely
      the "creation of facts" that took place in pre-state and immediately
      post-state Israel.

      ADVERTISEMENT 3. Deceive the world. Talking about redeploying
      occupation forces and removing a few fringe settlements while
      actually expanding many others across the West Bank will further
      strengthen our conquest and make the occupation ever more effective.

      4. Apartheid rules. As many foreign visitors testify, the
      territories closely resemble South Africa's apartheid rule: limited,
      segregated areas (many totally devastated) for Palestinians, who no
      longer control their lands and natural resources, where the
      population struggles for bare livelihood, experiencing widespread
      child malnutrition and lacking health services and employment. Add
      to this roads for Jews only, and the picture becomes clearer.

      5. Thou shalt assassinate. The occupied territories have become a
      free-range shooting gallery for military occupation forces and for
      settlers. Israel continues to use various assassination techniques
      on a daily basis--from a one-ton bomb dropped on a densely populated
      neighborhood to rockets aimed at moving vehicles--both constitute
      executions without a trial and both, routinely, result in the
      killing of innocent bystanders, including children. Palestinians
      react by trying to blow themselves up in areas frequented by
      Israelis or by occupation forces, typically stating what each act is
      in retaliation for. Israeli human rights organization B'Tselem
      (www.btselem.org) reports that between September 29, 2000, and
      September 15 of this year 2,859 Palestinians were killed by
      Israelis, among them 561 minors under the age of 18. During the same
      period, 916 Israelis were killed by Palestinians, among them 110
      minors under the age of 18.

      6. Deny, deny, deny: Never acknowledge any connection between
      a "terrorist act" and our own deeds, or the occupation itself:
      Theirs is "terrorism," ours is "defense"; theirs is "hate," ours is
      a "desire for peace"; theirs is wrong, ours is right. Always.

      7. We have a God-given right to all of the biblical Land of Israel.
      Their right for a Palestinian state is, at most, conceptual--
      clearly, it does not apply to even 22 percent of historical
      Palestine--the areas generally known as the "occupied territories."

      8. "No" to Palestinian statehood. To prevent them from achieving
      statehood, we will continue to carve out the territories so as to
      make an independent state no longer possible, and to crush their pre-
      state institutions: their infrastructure--roads, airports,
      hospitals, police stations and jails; schools and universities;
      computer systems containing demographic and medical records, and
      much more. The very same civilian institutions that enabled us to
      transition into statehood smoothly in 1948.

      9. Money is no object, especially since it's American. We will
      devote most of our national resources to the occupation, at the
      expense of everything else, including social services to our own
      Jewish poor and needy, school lunches and the quality of education,
      and the very lives of our youth.

      10. Our "Only True Friends" will continue to help us. Republican and
      Democrat alike will compete in offering us their
      unqualified "support." With such support our "occupation" can
      expand, everything else notwithstanding. We will continue to
      methodically transfer the land and natural resources to our own
      hands and, by further tightening the noose, force the undesirable
      Palestinian population away to distant places.

      Nothing to atone for, or repent. We're always right.