Learning From Columbia Shuttle Tragedy

  • World View <ummyakoub@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2003
      Let's Try to learn from the Columbia Shuttle Tragedy

      "Seest thou not how thy Lord dealt with the people of `Ad , - or the
      (city of) Iram, with lofty pillars, the like of which were not
      produced in (all) the land? And with the Thamud (people) who cut out
      (huge) rocks in the valley?- And with Pharoah lord of stakes ....(
      The Qur'an 89:6-10)

      "And what will explain to thee that which breaks to pieces? (It is)
      the Fire of Allah kindled (to a blaze), ....(104:5-6)

      The people of America are in deep mourning for the Columbia
      shuttle tragedy. The fiery end of a major attempt to penetrate outer
      space is indeed a matter for condolence and sympathy which we must
      offer to the nation as a whole. A disaster of this national and
      international level does call for contemplation and deep thought. As
      the inquiry into the disaster proceeds, along with the scientific and
      technical aspects, the moral, social, political and spiritual aspects
      too need to be explored.
      After the mourning should come introspection.
      SCIENTIFIC EFFORT for the benefit of humanity is encouraged in
      the Qur'an and the teachings of the Prophet (pbuh). Significant
      research which can help humanity to live better, compassionate,
      unselfish lives is certainly required.
      NASA's programs are funded and supported by the American
      people. The amounts spent on the product, training and support
      services are incredibly high, in many cases more than the income of
      entire nations. NASA owes it to the American people to justify its
      projects in language which makes sense to the layperson. Here are a
      few concerns:
      1. Outer space belongs to all humanity. It should not be
      explored with an imperial view of conquest and dominion. If NASA has
      connections to the military establishment which pervades America,
      that does take away from its research and humanitarian aspect.
      2. What are America's priorities? Medical coverage for all free
      of charge is a natural requirement of the richest country in the
      world. If the U.S. can send massively expensive payloads into space,
      it can also provide basic medical relief to its people.
      3. Drugs are pouring into every city. Crime and family breakup
      are realities for most Americans. How is it that we can walk in outer
      space but our children get killed if they walk in Baltimore or New
      Orleans' mean streets? Why is there no money for the PEOPLE's CAUSES?
      4. If NASA is a scientific and research project, it should be
      kept away from issues of international conflict and war.
      5. Each flight should be scrutinized for its moral and spiritual
      content. COLUMBIA took on board NO MUSLIM while it had an Israeli and
      an Indian-origin person. This exclusive profile, leaving out the
      Muslims of America and the one billion Muslims of the world, made the
      shuttle a morally questionable venture.
      5a. The ISRAELI OFFICER on board was part of the Israeli war
      machine. He had violated not only the LAWS of the UNITED STATES, but
      also the laws of the United Nations to which the U.S. is a signatory.
      This Israeli officer attacked the Palestinian people and the people
      of Lebanon in military actions which were condemned by the United
      Nations as violations of international law.
      5b. The Israeli on board took part in the attack on the Iraqi
      nuclear reactor, an attack which was condemned by the United Nations
      and also condemned by the PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES. By placing
      him on the shuttle, NASA seemed to be saying that it does not care
      for international law.
      5c. If the Israeli attack on the Iraqi nuclear reactor had not
      taken place, today we would not have the specter of war which Iraq is
      facing because it is defenseless. A nuclear Iraq would have deterred
      the kind of jingoism and saber rattling the U.S. (for Israel) is
      indulging in right now.

      6. The Hindu woman (of Indian origin) on board was such a sweet
      person but again the moral imperative comes first. Surely the United
      States is aware that Hindu India has carried out RAPE as a weapon of
      subjugation in occupied Kashmir. The rapes carried out by the Indian
      army on Kashmiri women number in the THOUSANDS.
      6a. In INDIA itself, in Gujarat state, there was mass rape of Muslim
      women carried out only a year or so back. WE LIVE IN A SMALL WORLD.
      We can't pretend that we are quite UNAWARE of INDIA's brutalities
      against Muslim women and then put a woman of Hindu origin on the
      shuttle.
      COLUMBIA was AMERICA's STATEMENT to the whole world. It should
      have been carried out with much greater moral awareness.
      NASA owes it to the American people to carry out its projects in
      a way which will be inclusive and humane, not meant to demean the
      Muslim world and to exalt the forces of Zionism and Hinduism. The
      money for NASA is the money of the American people. It should not be
      spent to fulfil the Zionist program.
      WAS GOD TELLING US SOMETHING? [Columbia scattered over "Palestine"]
      (A letter from Dallas, Texas):

      as-Salam `alaykum wa-rahmat Allah wa-barakatuh,
      wa-ba`d!

      About 8:00 am this morning I heard a loud "boom". It
      sounded and felt like somebody's car had bumped our
      building. Later I learned that it was the sound of
      the Columbia Space Shuttle breaking up over our heads,
      carrying six Americans and one Zionist, "Israel's"
      first astronaut, to their deaths.

      That Zionist was an airforce colonel who had
      participated in the 1973 war, the assault on Iraq's
      civilian nuclear facility in 1981, and the brutal
      invasion of Lebanon in 1982.

      In view of all that, how ironic it is that the debris
      from that terrible crash would scatter over a wide
      area centered around a nearly forgotten little Texas
      town by the name of Palestine!!??

      God says in Surat al-Rahman (ayah 33):

      [Arabic text]

      which has been interpreted by Pickthall as:

      O company of jinn and men, if ye have power to
      penetrate (all) regions of the heavens and the earth,
      then penetrate (them)! Ye will never penetrate them
      save with (Our) sanction.

      wa-s-salam
      Eric Mueller

      www.newtrendmag.org