Peace Shrine at Arafat's Hospital

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2004
      Rare Sight of Jewish-Muslim Harmony Outside Arafat Hospital
      PA News
      The Scotsman
      Fri 5 Nov 2004
      http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3721738

      At a solemn vigil outside the hospital treating Yasser
      Arafat, a remarkable, poignant moment of peace: A
      Jewish rabbi and a Muslim prayer leader shaking hands
      and extending hopes for the Palestinian leader's
      recovery.

      Rabbi Moishe Arye Friedmann travelled from Vienna to
      show his support, while Kamel Titouhi came from a
      local mosque where he had led prayers for Arafat's
      recovery.

      The two men met at what has become a small shrine to
      Arafat beside the main gate of the modern military
      training hospital outside Paris where he has been
      treated for a week and now lies in a coma.

      "We are here to express our solidarity with our Muslim
      brothers and sisters," said Friedmann, the chief rabbi
      of the Orthodox Jewish community in the Austrian
      capital.

      "We feel very ashamed of the barbarity being done
      against the Palestinian people," said Friedmann, who
      wore a wide-brimmed black hat, and a black-and-white
      scarf with tassels in the colours of the Palestinian
      flag. "It's a kind of Holocaust being done against the
      Palestinians in our name."

      Titouhi, imam of the Clamart mosque, said, "Yasser
      Arafat is an example to us" and that he came to the
      hospital to pray for him.

      A forest of television cameras faced the main gate of
      the sprawling concrete, metal and glass hospital. TV
      trucks, their generators humming and their satellite
      dishes pointing to the sky, ran the length of the
      street outside the hospital.

      Dozens of French police kept guard, corralling
      reporters behind metal barriers erected along the
      length of the street.

      Supporters hung a large, bed sheet-sized Palestinian
      flag on the hospital's perimeter wall alongside
      messages of support.

      "The intefadah will win," said one poster.

      The pavement was gummed up with melted candle wax, and
      roses had been placed at the foot of a poster of
      Arafat.

      http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3721738