US WAR RESISTERS IN CANADA

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2004
      AMERICAN WAR RESISTERS IN CANADA
      http://direland.typepad.com/direland/2004/10/stronga_questio.html

      DOUG IRELAND, DIRELAND - On October 20, Canada will hold its first
      hearing to determine the fate of an American Iraq-war resister in
      uniform: Jeremy Hinzman, who has applied for refugee status after
      refusing combat duty in Iraq. Hinzman, a North Carolinian, enlisted
      when he was just 17, when his father took him to the recruiting
      office, in part because of a promise of money for his education.

      Hinzman told Canadian television, "I also had a vision in my head of
      being a big guy and fighting for just causes." With the revelation
      that the reason for the U.S. invasion - Saddam's pretended Weapons of
      Mass Destruction--was a lie, Hinzman decided the war was "a crime
      against humanity." That, he says, "is not part of defending your
      country and it's not something I'm willing to kill someone else or
      lose my own life for." Hinzman applied for conscientious objector
      status after he received orders to go to Iraq, but was rejected while
      he was still serving in Afghanistan. He went to Canada while on leave.

      Hinzman is not the only war resister in uniform to have sought refuge
      in Canada. Brandon Hughey, 19, fled to Canada from Fort Hood, Texas,
      in March because he doesn't believe the U.S. war in Iraq is legal or
      moral; he has since become a prominent speaker at anti-war rallies
      there. Hinzman, Hughey, and the rest of the half-dozen uniformed war
      resisters seeking refugee status could face stiff prison terms if
      Canada returns them to the United States.

      A petition has been launched in Canada in support of these G.I. War
      resisters. This appeal to the Canadian government has received
      important support from the Canadian labor movement. The petition
      recalls that, "during the period of 1965-1973 more than 50,000 draft-
      age Americans made their way to Canada, refusing to participate in an
      immoral war. At the time, Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau said: 'Those
      who make the conscientious judgment that they must not participate in
      this war... have my complete sympathy, and indeed our political
      approach has been to give them access to Canada. Canada should be a
      refuge from militarism.'". . .

      The War Resisters Support Campaign in Canada is anxious to have as
      many Americans as possible sign this petition.

      http://www.resisters.ca