Hizb-ut-Tahrir Interview

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2004
      Shakir Asim, Hizb-ut-Tahrir representative in Germany, answers
      questions

      Zavtra, Valentin Prussakov, 26.08.2004
      http://enews.ferghana.ru/detail.php?id=574&code_phrase=

      Hizb-ut-Tahrir or Party of Islamic Deliverance stands out among
      numerous Islamic movements and organizations operating throughout the
      world. It is known for its activeness and "ability to publish
      energetic and clever materials" to quote American publicist Adam
      Parfray. Established in Palestine in 1952, the party has headquarters
      in London. It denounces violence and condemns terrorism, and yet the
      party is outlawed in some countries including Moslem ones. Why? Who
      do its activities upset? What is it after? What is its ideology? Here
      is an interview with Hizb-ut-Tahrir representative in Germany Shakir
      Asim.

      Shakir Asim: We are a political party. Islam is our ideology. We aim
      to restore the Islamic state - caliphate - on the territories of
      Islamic countries and not in Europe or America as our enemies
      maintains.

      Our activities are restricted to ideological and political spheres
      only. We do not regard Islam as just a confession, one of many. We
      present it as a comprehensive system of life with its own unique
      doctrine in the economic, social, and political spheres. It is this
      system that we offer to the people instead of the capitalist system
      that dominates the world nowadays. Along with that, we voice our
      opinion on important political events that touch upon Moslems. We
      say, for example, that the aggression against Iraq is a colonialist
      war that aims to establish American dominance and rearrange the
      region in the interests of Washington and Tel-Aviv. As such, it is a
      war on Islam.

      We categorically denounce the accusations that we are hostile towards
      anybody because Islam is a message to everybody. We do not make
      racial or skin color distinctions. Besides, it is common knowledge
      that Jews and Arabs are related by blood. [Note: This is actually
      largely a myth.] But we are against Zionism and the state of Israel
      that occupies the lands seized from Moslems and Christians. It
      symbolizes tyranny unacceptable from the point of view of Islam
      regardless of what people is the tyrant. It is the duty of every
      Moslem to fight all forms of tyranny, oppression, and injustice.

      Our enemies say that we are inclined to being conspiratorial but we
      organize public lectures. Every person who is interested - his
      ideology or political outlook notwithstanding - is welcome to attend.
      We do not have the right to forbid anybody to enter the lecture hall.
      Moreover, preventing a person from attending a public event because
      of this person's views is the worst degree of humiliation and
      discrimination in Islam and therefore is unacceptable...

      Constant economic troubles and impoverishment of the majority of the
      population of Earth are realities of our era. All of that is
      generated by the global liberal system of capitalism that depletes
      resources of the Third World. In this situation we suggest the system
      of Islam and say that it can distribute riches fairly and that it
      guarantees a worthy life to every person with all natural differences
      among peoples taken into account. We also maintain hat social and
      family laws of Islam concur with human nature and meet its needs. In
      short, we suggest Islam as an alternative to capitalism.

      Promotion of Islam is our fard (obligation to God). We are prepared
      to die for Islam any moment. In Uzbekistan, Islam Karimov (the West's
      close ally in the "war on terrorism") imprisoned thousands and
      thousands of our followers and demands that they betray their faith.
      All these attempts are doomed to failure. The Koran says
      (14:52), "This is the message to man, and let it be exhorted and let
      everyone know that He is God, the only one, and let the reasonable
      come round!"

      ISLAMIC MOSAICS
      Valentin Prussakov
      Zavtra, August 26, 2004, p. 5

      [A World View reader: The best thing would be to let Hizb-ut-Tahrir
      become a legitimate oppostion party in all the Central Asian
      republics. They would swear to nonviolence (they already do) as part
      of being integrated into the political process, and this would
      finally allow honest, uncorrupted citizens to criticize the
      horrendous political mess here. It would also empty the jails of
      political prisoners. I suspect they would be much like Turkey's
      ruling Islamic party. So what if they come to power? So what if women
      wear headscarves? I suspect local Russians would be much better off
      than under the present clan-based mafias. Everyone would be better
      off. Of course, it would mean a drastic reduction in prostitution and
      mini-skirts and restricted alcohol sales. And a big move away from
      the trashy American export culture that floods the TV and airwaves
      here. A small loss IMHO.]