Russian Hostage Drama

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2004
      At Least 322 Killed in Russian Hostage Drama:

      At least 322 people, including 155 children, died during the bloody
      end to a hostage-taking at a school in southern Russia, a senior
      prosecutor said on Saturday.

      http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=3DtopNews&storyID=3D6150734

      At Least 322 Killed in Russian Hostage Drama
      Sat Sep 4, 2004 07:28 AM ET

      BESLAN, Russia (Reuters) - At least 322 people, including 155
      children, died during the bloody end to a hostage-taking at a school
      in southern Russia, a senior prosecutor said on Saturday.
      "As a result of the terrorist acts 322 people were killed, 155 of whom
      were children," Deputy Prosecutor-General Sergei Fridinsky told
      reporters. "I think the death toll will rise, but probably not very
      much."

      A total of 26 militants were killed. None of them were captured alive,
      Fridinsky said.

      Officials also said the number of hostages seized in the school was
      more than 1,000 -- up from previous estimates of around 350.

      "I can tell you that today after the investigation we have carried
      out, including the questioning of hostages, the total number of
      hostages in the school was more than 1,000 people," said Lev Dzugayev,
      a spokesman for the North Ossetian regional authorities.

      Reuters 2004. All Rights Reserved.

      ===

      There will be another Beslan :

      Beslan is an extreme example of what is rightly seen as a depraved
      military tactic. But the equally unpalatable truth is that hostage
      taking is also a rational tactic in the desperate context of
      asymmetrical warfare.

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1296959,00.html

      ===

      Chechnyan Resistance:

      The Bush administration will want the U.S. masses to believe that the
      Russian school massacre occurred in a vacuum. As inhumane and barbaric
      as this atrocity was, the number of kids killed is only a fraction of
      those slaughtered by Russians and lost by Chechnyan families.

      http://bigeye.com/FCArchive.htm